Newbie, Need gloves!

ljcsov

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to MMA. My first lessons are next week and the gym i am training at gave me a few suggestions in gear. I was wondering if i could be lead in the right direction.

-Have-
Cup that fits in to compression shorts
mouth gard
gym shorts
t-shirt

-need-
gloves
hand wraps

-Glove Ideas-
Rogue Competition Pro Series Gloves - MMAUniverse.com
Windy Cut Finger Bag Gloves from Combatsports.com
Ouano Multi-Purpose Bag/Training Gloves from Combatsports.com
All Purpose MMA Bag Gloves from Combatsports.com
TapouT MMA Cage Style Gloves from Combatsports.com
Throwdown MMA Competition Gloves from Combatsports.com
Throwdown Rampage MMA Gloves from Combatsports.com <- (these were under the training category, i dont kno if these are actually fight gloves?? I figured if they were training i could use them for sparring and bag work)

-wrap ideas-
Throwdown Mexican Handwraps from Combatsports.com
Windy Handwraps from Combatsports.com

If you could lead me in the right direction on the ideas that would be great. For the gloves I am looking for something that i can use with bags along with my wraps and also use it for other training/sparring purposes. Thanks!

You're going to need 2 sets of gloves. One for bad/pad work and another for sparring. It is really not suggested to use the same gloves for both...

Here's a good pair of bag gloves:
TITLE MMA Bag Gloves from Title MMA
TITLE MMA GEL Bag Gloves from Title MMA
(I've heard good things about the GEL)

And here are some that you can use to spar:
Twins Pro Grappling & Cage Gloves from Title MMA

As for the wraps, I ordered from TITLE and they were cheaper there, I actually just ordered the Throwdown ones and they should be here next week.
Throwdown Mexican Handwraps from Title MMA

I have a pair of TITLE gloves and really like them, they are a decent price and hold up well. And as a beginner I wouldn't blow too much money on gear unless you know you're going to continue trainign.

You'll probably want to get the more padded "Shooto" style gloves if you're going to be doing MMA sparring. Combat Sports makes a good one, as do CagesideMMA and Fairtex.

or you might try a pair of MMA sparring gloves such as the Tapout Trainers or the CSI Max Spars. Nobody likes sparring " the hard way". It's not as ghetto fabulous as it sounds.

Full Contact Outlet

or you might try a pair of MMA sparring gloves such as the Tapout Trainers or the CSI Max Spars. Nobody likes sparring " the hard way". It's not as ghetto fabulous as it sounds.

Full Contact Outlet

Link to those type of gloves? Aren't shooto-style MMA gloves meant for sparring anyway? Along with the Primetime Level 4 gloves that are 7 ounces with multi-layered padding around the knuckles, which to be honest I only read of recently here.

Link to those type of gloves? Aren't shooto-style MMA gloves meant for sparring anyway? Other than the Primetime Level 4 gloves, that is.

You know... I asked about this and someone told me that Shooto was a specific style of fighting in Japan (really no different than here), but the gloves aren't really meant for sparring, their meant for competition... as thick as the padding looks you would think that you could.

Anyhow... Links...

Max Spar
Tapout Training
CSI Training Gloves which are pretty much the same thing as the Tapouts.

Also to note... CSI and Top Contender make a sister pair of those Fairtex Sparrings you were talking about. The CSI pair are pretty nice... I can't quite vouch for the Top Contenders though (Haven't played with them yet)

Full Contact Outlet

Ah, my bad for the confusion... when I say shooto-style, I don't mean the gloves used by the Shooto organization of Japan. They're rather a nickname for the style of MMA training gloves you mentioned, with thick usually 2 inch padding around the knuckles, and usually a thumb protector/padding.

Those Tapouts and the CSI Max Spars would fall into the same category, but without the thumb protection.

I'm not really sure about this, but I'd think having the thumb padding would be safer for sparring, which is why I recommended the CSI MMA Training glove, Cageside MMA Safety Training glove and the Fairtex NHB Sparring gloves. (yes, I realize I forgot to mention the full names of the gloves in my first post, my bad again)

What kind of gloves do the people who frequent this gym use?

If alot of the people are sparring with Boxing gloves, get boxing gloves, you don't want to show up with the MMA gloves if you need boxing gloves. The MMA gloves (in my opinion) are only good for grapple sparring, with light contact not full blows.

For heavy bag work, you should definitely get a pair of boxing bag gloves, not MMA styled bag gloves. They offer far more protection for your hands, and that's the whole point of wearing gloves for hitting the heavy.

The MMA gloves (in my opinion) are only good for grapple sparring, with light contact not full blows.

I am of the same opinion. I think they offer about as much protection (realistically) as a 10oz boxing glove, and normally 16oz gloves are used for moderate to hard sparring.

u realise the mma universe site is UK based yea?U in UK or US?

I see this a lot - and I don't blame the kid for not knowing... a lot of people start off training without the proper equipment. When I started a few years ago, I never wanted to spar. Come to find out that the guys I was sparring with were always wearing grappling BAG gloves; I guess that's why I always got my nose broke with even a "light" hit in the triangle. Sure, I can take a hit like a champ now, but I still don't suggest it to anyone.

If your doing stand up sparring - go with boxing style sparring gloves; or at least as long as the other guy is... if it's a smaller novice gym, make the suggestion that everyone chips in a buys a couple of pairs for community use.

I don't particularly mind the MMA Bag Gloves for bag work; granted that boxing bag gloves offer better protection; but I (and maybe it's just me) feel like the MMA bag gloves make your hands just a little heavier in the ring...

Full Contact Outlet

I see this a lot - and I don't blame the kid for not knowing... a lot of people start off training without the proper equipment. When I started a few years ago, I never wanted to spar. Come to find out that the guys I was sparring with were always wearing grappling BAG gloves; I guess that's why I always got my nose broke with even a "light" hit in the triangle. Sure, I can take a hit like a champ now, but I still don't suggest it to anyone.

If your doing stand up sparring - go with boxing style sparring gloves; or at least as long as the other guy is... if it's a smaller novice gym, make the suggestion that everyone chips in a buys a couple of pairs for community use.

I don't particularly mind the MMA Bag Gloves for bag work; granted that boxing bag gloves offer better protection; but I (and maybe it's just me) feel like the MMA bag gloves make your hands just a little heavier in the ring...

Full Contact Outlet

I was the same when I started out, as I'm sure many of us were. Ended up with some crappy gear because I didn't know any better, with the worst offender being 10oz gloves I used for *gasp* sparring. Needless to say, I wasn't making any friends with those.

On the bag glove issue... if those MMA bag gloves work for you, then I don't see a problem with it. Use whatever works best for you, bro. MMA bag gloves are lighter than boxing bag gloves, which makes them great for working speed combos, plus if you're training for an MMA match, getting used to the feel of punching with the same style of glove you'll be fighting in is a good thing. Obvious downsides would be the protection factor. You have a greater chance of injuring your hands/wrists with those gloves if you start throwing harder shots. An upside to this is your hands will probably get better conditioned by feeling more of the impact, if you can avoid injuring them that is.

thanks guys! im going for the first time today ill be sure to ask people at the gym as well. i appreciate your input

Back