New to training Bjj...Diet question....

Stmarkus

White Belt
Reaction score
I 'm wondering if anyone can help me out, I new to training, I'm 51 yrs old, 5 ft 11, 178 lbs. mini-belly...lol....I'd like to be able to lose about 5-10 lbs, and convert my bodyfat to mostly muscle...What kind of foods should I be eating, as I also have a fairly high metabolism, and not sure if I'm hyperglycimic, but I get a bit light headed if I don't eat and sometimes downright nasty...As soon as I eat I'm fine.....Any and all help would be greatly appreciated....

Get a gram of protein per lb of lean body weight, preferably in lean cuts of meat, eggs, nuts etc.
Eat your fruits and veges.
Get your carbohydrates from natural, unrefined sources.
If possible eat 5 small meals every 2-3 hours throughout the day. This will give you a constant flow of energy and no crashing, plus it won't spike your insulin too severely when you over feed.
Drink plenty of water.

And ultimately if you want to lose weight you have to find your maintenance calories and eat 500 calories below that (take into account exercise's calorie expenditure from that) and be patient. Good luck!

I'd like to be able to lose about 5-10 lbs, and convert my bodyfat to mostly muscle...

Bodyfat doesn't convert to muscle (nor does muscle convert to bodyfat). If you want to drop 10 pounds of fat and add 10 pounds of muscle, these are two different goals that require different diets to achieve.

If you've just started training and you don't start eating more, than it's likely that given time the BJJ will burn off enough calories for you to drop 5-10 pounds.

If you want to gain muscle, then you should wander over to the S&C forum, read the stickies there, and start lifting weights. You'll need a caloric surplus to gain muscle, so you'll need to eat more than what you are eating now, preferably from healthy sources.

You will probably loose that in just a month of rollling in BJJ, I think you burn anywhere from 400-600 calories per one hour of rolling.

You'll probably lose that much by doing BJJ alone. You don't need to worry too much about making a deficit IMO, just be smart with your food choices, cut out any processed foods and junk. That should create enough of a deficit on its own. As for gaining muscle head over to the S+C and read the stickies. Again as was already said fat doesnt "convert" to muscle. Work on loosing the fat and start a lifting routine and BJJ.

You will probably loose that in just a month of rollling in BJJ, I think you burn anywhere from 400-600 calories per one hour of rolling.

I brought my heart rate monitor to BJJ class one day and I burned something like 1100 calories in 2 hours including the warmup and conditioning exercises.

Does rice count? Is it healthy, or just a filler carb?

Everything is good in moderation. I'm not an expert on rice but brown rice and basmati Rice are good. Basically you want carbs that have a low g.i. Low g.i means they give you a steady release of energy instead of one big rush then crash.

I brought my heart rate monitor to BJJ class one day and I burned something like 1100 calories in 2 hours including the warmup and conditioning exercises.

Sweet!! I am glad to hear it was that high up there.

Not to hijack this thread but what kind of heart rate monitor do you have? I've been looking to buy one for a while now.

if u need to eat to make the light headed feeling go away, wouldn't that be leaning more towards HYPOglycemic?

If you are HYPERglycemic you need to mos def cut down on sugars and all the junk.

Do you take insulin?

get a decent glucose meter too. That will help you to know what your blood sugar levels are at and you can accomdate accordingly.

yeh if you suspect you are hyperglycemic you need to buy a glucometer and monitor your bloodsugar so you can eat accordingly.

I'm gonna jack the thread for a sec, too...

You guys got any good places to check out online with solid G.I. info?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back