1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

New to training Bjj...Diet question....

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Stmarkus, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Stmarkus

Stmarkus White Belt

I 'm wondering if anyone can help me out, I new to training, I'm 51 yrs old, 5 ft 11, 178 lbs. mini-belly...lol....I'd like to be able to lose about 5-10 lbs, and convert my bodyfat to mostly muscle...What kind of foods should I be eating, as I also have a fairly high metabolism, and not sure if I'm hyperglycimic, but I get a bit light headed if I don't eat and sometimes downright nasty...As soon as I eat I'm fine.....Any and all help would be greatly appreciated....

2. mmafreedom

mmafreedom Purple Belt

Get a gram of protein per lb of lean body weight, preferably in lean cuts of meat, eggs, nuts etc.
    Eat your fruits and veges.
    Get your carbohydrates from natural, unrefined sources.
    If possible eat 5 small meals every 2-3 hours throughout the day. This will give you a constant flow of energy and no crashing, plus it won't spike your insulin too severely when you over feed.
    Drink plenty of water.

And ultimately if you want to lose weight you have to find your maintenance calories and eat 500 calories below that (take into account exercise's calorie expenditure from that) and be patient. Good luck!

3. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Bodyfat doesn't convert to muscle (nor does muscle convert to bodyfat). If you want to drop 10 pounds of fat and add 10 pounds of muscle, these are two different goals that require different diets to achieve.

If you've just started training and you don't start eating more, than it's likely that given time the BJJ will burn off enough calories for you to drop 5-10 pounds.

If you want to gain muscle, then you should wander over to the S&C forum, read the stickies there, and start lifting weights. You'll need a caloric surplus to gain muscle, so you'll need to eat more than what you are eating now, preferably from healthy sources.

4. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

You will probably loose that in just a month of rollling in BJJ, I think you burn anywhere from 400-600 calories per one hour of rolling.

5. Mooney

Mooney Blue Belt

You'll probably lose that much by doing BJJ alone. You don't need to worry too much about making a deficit IMO, just be smart with your food choices, cut out any processed foods and junk. That should create enough of a deficit on its own. As for gaining muscle head over to the S+C and read the stickies. Again as was already said fat doesnt "convert" to muscle. Work on loosing the fat and start a lifting routine and BJJ.

6. Stmarkus

Stmarkus White Belt

Thanks much for the help guys!

7. bloosteak

bloosteak Blue Belt

I brought my heart rate monitor to BJJ class one day and I burned something like 1100 calories in 2 hours including the warmup and conditioning exercises.

8. mateo

mateo Blue Belt

Does rice count? Is it healthy, or just a filler carb?

9. mmafreedom

mmafreedom Purple Belt

Everything is good in moderation. I'm not an expert on rice but brown rice and basmati Rice are good. Basically you want carbs that have a low g.i. Low g.i means they give you a steady release of energy instead of one big rush then crash.

10. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

Sweet!! I am glad to hear it was that high up there.

11. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Not to hijack this thread but what kind of heart rate monitor do you have? I've been looking to buy one for a while now.

12. 4FightersChick

4FightersChick White Belt

Its good post workout, as it creates an insulin spike. Couple it with some protein!

13. sak

sak White Belt

if u need to eat to make the light headed feeling go away, wouldn't that be leaning more towards HYPOglycemic?

If you are HYPERglycemic you need to mos def cut down on sugars and all the junk.

Do you take insulin?

14. sak

sak White Belt

get a decent glucose meter too. That will help you to know what your blood sugar levels are at and you can accomdate accordingly.

15. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

yeh if you suspect you are hyperglycemic you need to buy a glucometer and monitor your bloodsugar so you can eat accordingly.

16. SLaKKJaW

SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

I'm gonna jack the thread for a sec, too...

You guys got any good places to check out online with solid G.I. info?

17. blackers10

blackers10 Orange Belt

whole grain = low gi
    processed = high gi