New to the forums

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by TipFearSys, Jan 9, 2006.

1. TipFearSys

TipFearSys White Belt

How's it going guys? I'm new to the forums and figured I'd introduce myself. I'm Andrew, aka "Tip." I train at Fear Systems in South Eastern North Carolina. Predominant focus is BJJ, though we gather a lot of things from Judo and Wrestling. Been taking BJJ for about 7 months now and really enjoy it. Going to be competiting next weekend in the Budweiser World Cup in Concord, NC. Not really concerned with my placing at all, as I'm just using this as a gauge for what I need to work on in the future. I've got a couple of large vids of me grappling, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in watching white belts grapple haha. Just wanted to say what's up and throw out my first thread.

2. triso

triso Green Belt

Welcome to the forums ... you seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders. I predict you will be frustrated with this place shortly.

By the way post your vids. I think everyone will want to see them.

3. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

Welcome.

4. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    Hello. If you want to put up your vids try rapidshare or yousendit, I all for watching some whit belt grappling as long as you don't have weird blindfolds on and look like extras from a Good Charlotte video. That's just stupid and very gay.

5. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Welcome, good luck at the tourny

6. DMcKayBJJ

DMcKayBJJ Blue Belt

Welcome.
    Do you prefer gi or no-gi? What do you think of Eddie Bravo? Do you think the Gracies are all washed up? What complicated medical issues do you have that you want advice on from a bunch of mere grapplers? Do you think grappling is useless in a street fight? Do you know how much time it takes or what exactly needs to be learned in order to get a blue belt?

If you don't have any opinions on those issues, you soon will.
    And yes, you will be frustrated with this place very shortly. Although you will be inexplicably addicted to it despite your frustration.

7. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

its actually an extremely interesting phenomena.

8. ironneck

ironneck Orange Belt

Id be intrested to see some of your vids... Good luck man. Train hard!

9. 2om30

2om30 Red Belt

Aloha..

10. TipFearSys

TipFearSys White Belt

Haha alright guys, since I don't grapple with blind folds on, I suppose I'll post a video that I uploaded on megaupload.com. I'll start a thread about it.

And as far as DMcKay's questions-

I prefer gi, as that is what I train most often. Eddie Bravo is very creative in some of his stuff, though his opinions on not using the gi in no gi training are, IMO out there. I believe you can learn a bit from both areas, so I personally don't see the reason to drop either one entirely. As far as the Gracie's being washed up....as long as BJJ still has practitioners, I don't think the Gracies will ever be washed up. Granted their dominance isn't what it used to be, they will always remain a figurehead of BJJ. I'm not coming to ya'll with any medical problems, as I realize that the majority of the people here probably know as much about medicine as I do. That's what the Docs for. Grappling will ALWAYS be useful in a fight. Granted I'm not pulling guard or looking to work from my back, but in a fight situation, I'm more than confident that my grappling ability will help me defend myself. Never understood that arguement though. I suppose that people think that all grappler's will do is grapple and not strike. Worse comes to worse, I'll use my knowledge (though limited) to take and maintain a dominant position (ie knee ride) and strike from there. From what I've seen it takes roughly 1-2 years to earn a blue belt. Not really concerned with that, as all I care about is getting better.

11. judogido

judogido Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...

STFU n000000b!!!!!

.... Now thats out of the way - Welcome to the forum, mate. Hey - post the vids (or at least the interesting parts). There's plenty of experienced BJJers here so you can at least benefit from some critique.

12. triso

triso Green Belt

You have a number of well educated answers ... you are either very level headed, or have been lurking a while.

[email protected] DMcKay ... he about summed it up in one post.

This place is surprisingly addicting, and definitely has great information and discussions, if you can sift through some of the bullshit threads, like the ones DMcKay listed.

13. TipFearSys

TipFearSys White Belt

Dang, my first STFU noob. *tear tear tear* I feel so, so, so welcome. Haha thanks guys. I posted my vid in this forum (White Belt World Cup Prep).

14. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

welcome to sherdog

15. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

Seems like a decent whitebelt joined the forums. It's good to see people who aren't complete retards joining.

I like your answers to the questions. Post them vids.

16. TipFearSys

TipFearSys White Belt

Thanks guys. The two vids are posted on my other thread.

17. DMcKayBJJ

DMcKayBJJ Blue Belt

Hey, I was just kidding about the questions. More of an inside joke for the regular sherdoggers. But your honest answers are appreciated nonetheless.

18. TipFearSys

TipFearSys White Belt

Haha I figured you were kidding, but thought since you took the time to type all of em' out, that I'd take the time to answer em'. Thanks.

19. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

welcome aboard