New Study Highlights Dangers of Slap Fighting

payton

If you know, you know
@Blue
Reaction score
holding-brain-jelly-2o46rmuqzxpmq93s.webp

A new research letter published in JAMA Surgery from experts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
is calling attention to the risk of concussion posed by slap fighting.

The team of researchers conducted a cross-sectional study which involved reviewing the rules of Power Slap as presented on the Power Slap website, as well as viewing videos of slap fighting events, which included both legal and illegal slaps. Reviewers watched for visible signs of concussion exhibited by the competitors.

After reviewing a total of 78 fights, which included 333 slaps and 139 sequences among 56 contestants, the reviewers found that concussive signs were observed after 29.1 percent of slaps and 51.8 percent of sequences. Of the 56 contestants, 78.6 percent exhibited at least one concussive sign. The most common signs exhibited included motor incoordination, slow to get up, and a blank or vacant look.

the Brain Injury Association of America’s Medical Director-Emeritus. “This is, in fact, the established definition of concussion/mild traumatic brain injury as currently recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

The findings of this study, researchers wrote in their letter, suggest that slap fighting may induce traumatic brain injury in contestants, with a potential for long term consequences.
“Therefore, there must be a high surveillance when evaluating such athletes both acutely and on long-term follow-up,”
“Slap fighting may be a more grievous combat sport than previously assumed, and strategies to prevent neurological demise among its participants should be pursued.”

Atleast with MMA you can use defense and get out of the way. This is just back and forth until some drops, so its guaranteed brain damage nearly everytime unless you KO your opponent with your first slap and you got to go first.

holding-brain-jelly-2o46rmuqzxpmq93s.webp

A new research letter published in JAMA Surgery from experts at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
is calling attention to the risk of concussion posed by slap fighting.

The team of researchers conducted a cross-sectional study which involved reviewing the rules of Power Slap as presented on the Power Slap website, as well as viewing videos of slap fighting events, which included both legal and illegal slaps. Reviewers watched for visible signs of concussion exhibited by the competitors.

After reviewing a total of 78 fights, which included 333 slaps and 139 sequences among 56 contestants, the reviewers found that concussive signs were observed after 29.1 percent of slaps and 51.8 percent of sequences. Of the 56 contestants, 78.6 percent exhibited at least one concussive sign. The most common signs exhibited included motor incoordination, slow to get up, and a blank or vacant look.

the Brain Injury Association of America’s Medical Director-Emeritus. “This is, in fact, the established definition of concussion/mild traumatic brain injury as currently recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

The findings of this study, researchers wrote in their letter, suggest that slap fighting may induce traumatic brain injury in contestants, with a potential for long term consequences.
“Therefore, there must be a high surveillance when evaluating such athletes both acutely and on long-term follow-up,”
“Slap fighting may be a more grievous combat sport than previously assumed, and strategies to prevent neurological demise among its participants should be pursued.”

Between the UFC and Powerslap, Dana's new nickname should be "The Concussion Kid".

I mean you don't need a peer reviewed double blind whatever study to know Slap Fighting is bad for your health, but so are all combat sports.

I don't like Slap Fighting's association with the UFC because it is trashy, not because it is bad for the athlete's health.

He pulled the skull into it. Would make more sense if they stabilized skull and rotated in with the strike.

Either way no study was necessary for this.

This study will just make more people tune in, it would be like if you knew when a train wreck in your town would occur, you’d get down to the tracks to see the crash.
<seedat>

Lol @ that gif. Definitively do not slap someone who miss half his skull and also the meninges and CSF.
Still, do not slap someone at all, it's rude.

WHERE WERE THE CATCHERS ON THIS ONE????? FORREST??? ANTHONY SMITH??? ANYBODY???

mma-knockout.gif

Atleast with MMA you can use defense and get out of the way. This is just back and forth until some drops, so its guaranteed brain damage nearly everytime unless you KO your opponent with your first slap and you got to go first.
I doubt they spar the same way MMA fighters do, which is where most of the damage happen.

I doubt they spar the same way MMA fighters do, which is where most of the damage happen.
Lmao indeed, if they actually train slap fighting against each other, they don't have much brains to save anyway

MMA is terrible for brain health, but at least you have the opportunity to avoid it or can be beat by other means (sub, control, body shots etc.).

Slap fighting is fucking retarded.

Look at these bucktees training CTE reps LMFAOLLL ⚰️

Screenshot 2024-10-09 140416.png

At least MMA mandem wear headgear fi stay safe

I got brain damage just watching the commercial of that fucktardery.

MMA is terrible for brain health, but at least you have the opportunity to avoid it or can be beat by other means (sub, control, body shots etc.).

Slap fighting is fucking retarded.

yeah intentionally exposing urself to all dem shots in trainin' don't count ting ain't a real scrap CTE knows di difference

tell me another CTE fairy tale brah

I can tell u ain't neva watch the Global Phenomenon that is #PowerSlap just stickin' to di same MMA purist talkin' points

I bet u h8 ketchup too but still neva did try di ting just look gross

h8r 💯

Back