New Sherdog.com Mailbag Column (Ask us some questions!)

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Hey all, we have a new sheriff in town when it comes to the regular Mailbag column on Sherdog.com. Jason Burgos, also known as "Captain Credential" is taking on the duties of answering your questions.

We have a few working titles, and you're welcome to shout out better ideas or give love to some of the suggestions: "Letters from the Trenches" or "Letters from the Byline" or "Burgos Back Talk" are three of the ones we're testing out.

So throw us your questions, anything about the upcoming fights or news or some other question you always wanted to ask a Sherdog.com writer. Have at him!

why you don't update fighter's photos for god sake ?
Capture d’écran 2020-01-15 à 23.10.21.png

Capture d’écran 2020-01-15 à 23.15.14.png

Capture d’écran 2020-01-15 à 23.12.43.png

Lol at masvidal with the updated pick
Capture d’écran 2020-01-15 à 23.14.18.png

Last edited:
welcome aboard Captain<RomeroSalute>

why you don't update fighter's photos for god sake ?
Lol at masvidal with the updated pick
I can actually take that one, because I don't know if Burgos would have the answer to it. To use a photo for Fight Finder, it has to be taken by a Sherdog.com staff member, provided by the fighter directly or SD is otherwise granted permission to use it by the official source (promotion, photographer, etc). We can't just pull a Getty photo and throw it up there, that violates copyright because of the frequent use of the pages. For the traffic that FF gets, a new picture of a fighter could cost upwards a few hundred bucks -- it depends on the traffic, and Conor's FF page is high demand.

Add to that there are hundreds of thousands of fighters in the database, updating a sole fighter's photo can take a backseat to the other responsibilities of the Fight Finder crew.

I can actually take that one, because I don't know if Burgos would have the answer to it. To use a photo for Fight Finder, it has to be taken by a Sherdog.com staff member, provided by the fighter directly or SD is otherwise granted permission to use it by the official source (promotion, photographer, etc). We can't just pull a Getty photo and throw it up there, that violates copyright because of the frequent use of the pages. For the traffic that FF gets, a new picture of a fighter could cost upwards a few hundred bucks -- it depends on the traffic, and Conor's FF page is high demand.

Add to that there are hundreds of thousands of fighters in the database, updating a sole fighter's photo can take a backseat to the other responsibilities of the Fight Finder crew.
Thanks for your response, interesting to hear.

Why do it for masvidal ?? big fan of the guy ?

Thanks for your response, interesting to hear.

Why do it for masvidal ?? big fan of the guy ?
Because a Sherdog.com staff member snapped the shot before the Combate Americas event that Masvidal commentated.

Back