new place to train while at university?

JMSanchez

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Long story short: I've trained in Krav Maga for about two years; and I'm looking for a new martial arts school to train in (for a variety of reasons that I can discuss if you'd like...).

I currently go to Chapman University (Orange, California) and am looking for a nearby studio that teaches either Muay Thai or BJJ (if possible BOTH). Distance from campus is more of an issue than money is, but I still do have to budget.

In a perfect world, I would like to train at a place like " American Top Team" or "Kings MMA"; but that just isn't realistic for me right now (or affordable :] ).

The places I've seen near campus are mostly BJJ schools: 10th Planet, Carlson Gracie, and Gracie Barra.

Which school is best for preparing me for competitive grappling? Do any of them teach Muay Thai/ kickboxing on the side??

If my choice comes down to either a strictly Muay Thai school or a strictly BJJ school, I would prefer BJJ...but i'm still open to looking at Muay Thai gyms if you have any recommendations. My ultimate goal is to compete in grappling; but I would also like to learn some solid stand up on the side if possible...because I think its important to be well-rounded in fighting skills.

Thanks for any tips/ advice you have for me!!! P.S.: Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread, I'm still new to the website...

OC Muay Thai is supposed to have a legit program there but I've never trained there personally. I believe it's also in Seal Beach, but you'd probably be going to Kings if you were willing to drive that far already.

OC Muay Thai is supposed to have a legit program there but I've never trained there personally. I believe it's also in Seal Beach, but you'd probably be going to Kings if you were willing to drive that far already.
thank you for the tip!

I would do Rounders MMA (its owned by former fighter Bao Quach and it's about 4 miles from your school).

They have a well balanced/flexible schedule and it seems like they offer competition in any art (they have pro MMA guys, pro boxers, and those who do BJJ competitions).

Seems like a good gym to get some experience in all the arts

I would do Rounders MMA (its owned by former fighter Bao Quach and it's about 4 miles from your school).

They have a well balanced/flexible schedule and it seems like they offer competition in any art (they have pro MMA guys, pro boxers, and those who do BJJ competitions).

Seems like a good gym to get some experience in all the arts
Thank you!

Another option is your school clubs. I've never heard of a university that didn't have a (usually free) BJJ, JJJ, judo, MT, boxing, etc. club. You'll also certainly have access to other clubs like karate or TKD and so on, so it might be worth combining a bunch of classes if you want to go that route. Joining like 4 clubs that meets twice a week could be a great "MMA" experience.

I was in the judo club in my college days and I had a physics professor teaching, which was amazing for obvious reasons. Totally free and some of the best workouts and knowledge I've ever received in MA training.

Back