New oldboy vs old oldboy(hope that makes sense)

Tedarch82

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of the Korean film Oldboy,i have it on blu ray and have watched it at least 5 times.I just went shopping with the kids to get them some Blu rays for the school holidays,and low and behold i find the new version of it.I swore i would never watch this out of respect for the original,and the way the west always fuck up asian remakes,but i gave in and bought it.Has anyone seen the remake?Am i correct to expect the worst?thanks.

Im a huge fan of the Korean film Oldboy,i have it on blu ray and have watched it at least 5 times.I just went shopping with the kids to get them some Blu rays for the school holidays,and low and behold i find the new version of it.I swore i would never watch this out of respect for the original,and the way the west always fuck up asian remakes,but i gave in and bought it.Has anyone seen the remake?Am i correct to expect the worst?thanks.

Yes, yes you are. I saw it in theaters (didn't pay shit though) and from start to finish, it was just a tacky almost scene for scene cheap copy of the other oldboy.

Yes, yes you are. I saw it in theaters (didn't pay shit though) and from start to finish, it was just a tacky almost scene for scene cheap copy of the other oldboy.

Oh no,i knew i should of trusted my instincts,ill probably stick it on ebay.Thanks mate.

I was expecting the worst already when I saw it, so I wasn't finding it all horrible, just inferior. But they changed the ending which was the most powerful scene in the original IMHO. So, I have to say it sucks indeed.

For people that haven't watch the Korean version. They will think Hollywood oldboy was a decent movie. With some MEH parts. It would be an OKAY movie.

For people that have watched the Korean version, which I did. They will think Hollywood oldboy is way.. Way... WAY less entertaining than the original.

Someone from a thread in GOAT movie thread made a "lol" comment when I said a similar thing. I'm glad 99% agreed with me.

Didn't watch the new one. Was planning too but didn't. The old one is a classic and I really don't think a remake was needed. To me, its too iconic to make a remake for it. Kinda like Fight Club.

I personally haven't seen a hollywood remake of Asian movie that was as good.
1. Ringu, The Ring
2. Ju-on; The Grudge
3. A Tale of Two Sisters; Uninvited
4. The Eye, The Eye

But having said that, most remakes, even within Hollywood haven't really gain praise from general public and critics as well.

Only one that was pretty good was "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"

I think it's usually the shock factor when the original was out, a total new idea. Fresh compared to others within its own genre that made it a great movie. Remakes are based on great movies hoping for similar success. While they could be good movies, when compared to original, the freshness of the movie idea is no longer there, thus losing out.

Humble opinion.

It's a great movie of course, but to watch the US remake means you're basically paying to watch white people re-enact the Korean movie. Why bother?

Hammerfigh!!!!

and once you know the big twist, no reason to watch the new one.

I enjoyed the first act of the Korean one, but then I felt it tried to get too artsy in the 2nd act.

haven't seen the remake though

The original was a great film.
Not sure if the second one can match up given how good it was.

Point blank, the 2nd one was a complete pos without comparison to the first. With comparison, Spike Lee deserves to die. I couldnt even finish the movie, even with the lowest expectation possible.

I expected the worst and was still shocked at how bad it really was

I personally haven't seen a hollywood remake of Asian movie that was as good.1. Ringu, The Ring
2. Ju-on; The Grudge
3. A Tale of Two Sisters; Uninvited
4. The Eye, The Eye

But having said that, most remakes, even within Hollywood haven't really gain praise from general public and critics as well.

Only one that was pretty good was "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"

I think it's usually the shock factor when the original was out, a total new idea. Fresh compared to others within its own genre that made it a great movie. Remakes are based on great movies hoping for similar success. While they could be good movies, when compared to original, the freshness of the movie idea is no longer there, thus losing out.

Humble opinion.

The Departed.

The Magnificent Seven.

I think that's all there is.

And if it has to be as good as or better than the original we might need to boot The Magnificent Seven off that short list.

The Magnificent Seven is way too early a movie for me. Oldest movies I watch are late 1970s.

I haven't watched The Departed, never heard of it actually. But if it's remake of Internal Affair, I think it will be extremely difficult to be on par. Internal affairs could be considered GOAT within Hong Kong industry within it's genre. All of this main characters are A class actors.

The Magnificent Seven is way too early a movie for me. Oldest movies I watch are late 1970s.

I haven't watched The Departed, never heard of it actually. But if it's remake of Internal Affair, I think it will be extremely difficult to be on par. Internal affairs could be considered GOAT within Hong Kong industry within it's genre. All of this main characters are A class actors.

The same could be said of the cast of The Departed.

Back