Media New Chimaev interview about his next fight and more

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

Came across this new Chimaev interview about what's gonna happen now, the current state of health, what's going on with his normal head coach, Usman compared to Costa and so on...
It's all in Russian so decided to run the more interesting video chapters through Google Translate. Here you go:

00:25 - "why doesn’t Khamzat fight for the title?"

Well, my manager called me about January. Even my manager himself didn’t agree with them, and he said "If you want, take this fight after their fight. See who wins and fight with him?" So we said because he had minor injuries, and now we are treating these injuries and need to prepare for a fight with injuries, it won’t be possible now. A month of rehabilitation, then preparation after this fight. It will be clear who will fight me, who's gonna fight who. I choose this. "It turns out that the status of an official contender remains with you?" Yes.

01:37 - "how serious is Khamzat’s injury?"

"Yes, but this injury you mentioned is the hand injury you got in the fight with Kamaru Usman. How serious is the injury because well, quite a lot of time has passed and so far, as I understand from your words, there are certain problems?" Yes, there was a dislocation of a finger, and there was some kind of infection in the palm, and the ligaments were slightly damaged. Now it’s much better, but still the bone feels somehow strange, it seems to me that it still needs to be checked, maybe something's wrong there. We're visiting today we’ll check and see what

03:54 - "why wasn’t coach Andreas in Khamzat’s corner?"

Yes, a lot of things happened during this training camp. With my head coach there was a slight misunderstanding of each other, now let’s solve this problem. I’ll go and meet with him, and when your right hand is not with you and there is no certainty either it's like, I worked with him for 7 years. And once he is not next to me, and I also think he played his role and some other coaches, there were a lot of mistakes in this camp. We can correct them, by the way. "Many people noticed that Andreas was not in your corner and this bothered many people, let’s say I don’t want to go into details in any way. But the question in itself is solvable, why wasn't he?" Yes, of course solvable. Well, I’m just the kind of person I want to prove something to myself. If I told myself I’m out to prove a good lesson for me, not always someone can be next to you; some problems will appear; the coach won’t be there; you’ll have to move on your own. It will be cool, because we are all used to having him around and it’s clear that he is a strong psychologist, he feels you very subtly.

05:25 - "was Usman a more difficult opponent than Costa?"

So, we won’t find out, but I don’t think that he has a better game than Usman and a good choking defense. Like I tried to suffocate Usman in the last seconds or a minute, I took the hold and he risked falling with his head first and fell together. If I went onto the back of this Koshchei, I don’t think he will defend himself like Usman, and Usman’s wrestling is at a high level and compared with a scythe. Everyone says that Usman left on short notice, I also took the fight on short notice, I didn’t prepare at all for Usman as we were preparing for striking techniques that Paulo will throw. But he will generally fight with his legs, and arms will not be there as much, so he faced the one preparing for a completely different opponent, and it is very difficult to change the opponent.

11:15 - "Strickland vs du Plessis - who wins?"

"Which side, let's say, has more chances?" Well, I think more for Strickland but he is also not simple. Strong guy, healthy. Well, I don’t know, 60 to 40, you can say maybe 50 to 50. I can’t say both, and people like you talk interestingly about such strange styles on both of them

12:09 - "with whom would Khamzat himself be more interested in fighting?"

"Let me say if you're lucky; for yourself, who would be more interesting to fight?" I don't care if "that one" wins, my close friend Dana and I would like for him to work well with this, and in fact I won all of mine with him, I need to prove it already in the cage. I want to prove to myself in the cage that I can beat him there too.

13:50 - "does Chimaev fight the winner of the championship fight when he wants to do it?"

"You will undergo rehabilitation for a month, that’s when you plan to return. Will it be after Ramadan or before Ramadan will you have time? What are your plans?" Well, it depends on who wins and when he wants to fight. Of course I want to fight before Ramadan, and if they give it before Ramadan, then before Ramadan, if after, then we’ll see what they do. They’ll say we have to wait for this fight for now, and we don’t know for sure yet that this fight fight happen, maybe someone will get injured, something will happen and we’ll see what happens next for this fight.

14:32 - "why doesn’t Khamzat fight as often as before?"

Well, every month they sent the name, then the dates, and then the opponent doesn’t want to be there. Various problems, I haven’t figured out all the reasons myself and at the end they decided to fight. So finally I told them to at least finalize the date, it’s just that the opponent doesn’t need to be said because he is constantly changing. Dana said the date. Give me some guidance for preparation first, then go carry it home already. Technically it is necessary, then when I used to fight those opponents at a different level, they are already the absolute best opponents that the organization has, and we need to prepare for this differently. So it doesn’t work out like how earlier, in 10 days, you fight with two opponents. With Usman, another one Usma, you can’t sing for such a parm. You have to prepare for such a fighter and know what to do and that’s why I think such long time.

17:55 - "Ikram Aliskerov was always high level, but after me they wrote him off"

Well, Ikram was always at a high level and he fought very well but then when I won it, everyone had already started to write him off, write it off. Yes, although after me there were no more defeats. In my opinion, not only victory. This is the only victory, and in the UFC these two fights are two fights in my opinion he proved. I watched both and I saw he performed well at a high level and finished in both, there were not weak opponents who were fed to him. I knew them too. And I can say very well, how are you?

20:44 - "Shara Bullet said he would take me, but I was nearby when in Thailand"

There are new guys. They are daring guys like me, they want to fight with me. Well, everyone. Everyone who wants to fight with our guys, I invite them. This guy, I was in Thailand, some guys who uh saw me there, someone showed the new guy Shara Bullet. Yes, and he said "I’ll get to him" or something like that, he said it wasn’t far to get to me as he was in Thailand, I was also in Thailand. His sparring friends worked there, he could come there and check his level with me and don’t just bother me here. Wait until the UFC so that they will bring us together with such guys, our Muslim brothers, but I would like to settle everything in sparring if they want to argue they are better than me. Come for sparring five by five, we will even work with the small gloves that they give us in battle. And among people there in big organizations, so that Dagestanis, Ingush or Chechens fight among themselves and then now it happens as if it’s a sport. Some people forget that it’s a sport and arguing in the comments, there are bad words to each other. I still always think when something bad happens, like somewhere students Chechens and Dagestanis men there learn from each other, then they will argue and for this there can be a fight there. We will be to blame if I am this guy, if they are there and something bad happens and we turn out to be guilty, we didn’t want to be like that. But if sparring matters, no one recognizes her there and you can decide who is better and who is bad.

22:49 - Shara Bullet had a good fight, but his game needs to be tightened up

Khaz gotta know agsinst a legit top middleweight he loses untill he closes holes in game having as good or worse cardio than Conor is first . Weyber that involves more cardio training or adopting a different style rather than his all out first rd blitzes I don't know. Fighting Sean or Dricus or even Whitaker or Costa if he can't blitz them rd 1 he's losing.

So, basically he was offered the Strickland fight and turned it down. Says his hand injury is minor "the ligaments were slightly damaged".

Back to give my opinion in about 10 years after I finish reading this novel here.

Fighting before ramadan would mean UFC 299. Highly doubt the 297 winner will turn around that quick, so unless he's willing to fight a non-title fight he's out until the summer.

Ridiculous for him to be getting a title shot. I'd rather see Izzy come back & challenge the 297 winner, Khamzat should fight Cannonier.

There's no hype for him at 185, too small, striking isn't there. Costa bullies him.

He needs to change his style, be like a Demian Maia with better wrestling, slow the pace down and focus on grappling, his striking looked terrible against Usman, and Usman looked terrible himself

man this type of english is really difficult to read, i cant lie.
True, google translate still has a ways to go yet, but I appreciate OP for actually including cliffs of some kind. Next time you see some shitter drop a clickbait instagram/twatter post with no contribution to the opening post, post a funny mma gif that properly conveys your hatred towards him whilst insinuating that his peepee is inadequate or something idk

I don't think Khamzat can travel. Gonna be straight up guys, Khamzat wasn't impressive vs Burns and was really not impressive vs an old Usman on 10 days notice moving up a division. This dude needs to stay busy and shut the fuck up, for the love of God.

Gotta be Cannonier or Whittaker next for Khamzat if he's actually ready to go for 299/300, unless Strickland finishes DDP in the first round. Sean seems like enough of a company man to turn around that quick if the UFC ask him to.

Any question about his cardio?

Thanks for the cliffs @Unheralded Truth Sounds like his hand injury is more serious than everyone thought. I have a feeling he'll be rehabbing it for the next 6 months.

Couldn't understand his explanation for why Andras didn't corner him. Thought it's because he no longer lives in Sweden.

I stand corrected.. Chimaev allowed DDP to go ahead and turned down saying let him go ahead.

Plus he was promised and describes dana as his close friend....... Mann i stand corrected. owe both chimaev and dana apology. I will never speculate about stuff

Besides with is all the shara bullet beef it came out of the left field. but all in all i stand corrected

Gotta be Cannonier or Whittaker next for Khamzat if he's actually ready to go for 299/300, unless Strickland finishes DDP in the first round. Sean seems like enough of a company man to turn around that quick if the UFC ask him to.

Khamzat won't fight anyone else outside of the winner of Strickland-DDP.
This interview needs full translation. Very good interview

Back