new blue belt

ultimajiujitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
okay so on saturday i received my blue belt. then on monday i went in and got leg locked 3 times in one round of wrestling. my question is what are ways i can keep from getting leg locked short of cutting off my legs?

Congrats who gave you the blue? Also you playing a lot of open guard?

I had the same problem. You're not allowed to use leg locks until blue at my school. I wish we could of, I found so many positions in my guard left me vulnerable.

i train at a gracie barra affilliate in tucson,az. the guy who owns my school is a black belt under marcio simas. so that's who gave me my belt. i do play open guard but that's not where im having trouble. its just that i couldn't get leg locked before as a white belt and so things i did before dont work as they open up new possibilities for my opponents. therefore i guess what im asking is how do i make my legs less vulnerable?

Whenever you feel someone reaching for an ankle, grab their lapels, it may not stop it but it gives you way more time to work out of it, since it means that they can't lean back with the ankle.

Congrats

Congrats...do I dare ask: How long have you been training (and how often) till you got your blue?

learn to corkscrew out of leglocks and how to avoid getting one of your legs isolated, the trick is to not let your opponent pin you in place, that way you can follow over the top into dominant position every time they fall back for the lock.

ultimajiujitsu said:
i train at a gracie barra affilliate in tucson,az. the guy who owns my school is a black belt under marcio simas. so that's who gave me my belt. i do play open guard but that's not where im having trouble. its just that i couldn't get leg locked before as a white belt and so things i did before dont work as they open up new possibilities for my opponents. therefore i guess what im asking is how do i make my legs less vulnerable?

This is the same as a white belt saying... How do i not get tapped by blues?

You just have to train man.. as you train more just as you overcame the other whites.. you will overcome leg locks and get used to defending them.

Im having the exact same problem becuase the old school i went to didnt leg lock at all.. The new place i train at all the purples have been leg locking me one after the other.

Most of the guys i roll with that are good at leg locks, are crappy at passing the guard.. And have very bad guards them self.. So their are plusses and minuses to having them.. you should feel lucky you developed a good guard and now have to learn to defend legs better.

ive been training like 2.5 years 2 or 3 times a week. so basically what i think everyone is saying is keep training and the defense will come. well thanks for the congrats and i should have realized there are no quick fixes.

Well done on the blue belt, and learn to hide your feet!

simple answer is ask your instructor to show you counters for all types of leg locks some are extremely easy to avoid if you know how to

like cornsloth said... grab the lapels. i do a lot of leg locks and the worst thing htat can happen to me when going for a leg is having someone grip fight the lapels like crazy.
on top of that use this general rule. if you guard is closed your feet are ok behind your oponent. when your guard is open you want your feet in front of your oponent.

congrats on the blue.

ultimajiujitsu said:
ive been training like 2.5 years 2 or 3 times a week. so basically what i think everyone is saying is keep training and the defense will come. well thanks for the congrats and i should have realized there are no quick fixes.
good attitude bro, congrats on the blue.

congrats man. are you having most trouble with straight ankle locks? or twisting stuff?

pm me. maybe i can help

Dont just let your legs chill on your partner. Use your feet to hook under there legs to control there movement.

Back