Never knew sparring with beginners had so many merits

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Due to work times I sometimes train with the beginner class which includes sparring with people below my level. Besides it being good for my confidence it really allows me to relax and try different styles. Now I know what it means when people say you should always be relaxed during a fight and sparring, you just see so much more things coming. When I started sparring guys my level I was much more confident and relaxed than normal and I was able to throw much more combinations and block much more.

One thing that did bother me at the beginners class were the amount of people that sparred without a mouthguard

Due to work times I sometimes train with the beginner class which includes sparring with people below my level. Besides it being good for my confidence it really allows me to relax and try different styles. Now I know what it means when people say you should always be relaxed during a fight and sparring, you just see so much more things coming. When I started sparring guys my level I was much more confident and relaxed than normal and I was able to throw much more combinations and block much more.

One thing that did bother me at the beginners class were the amount of people that sparred without a mouthguard

I love that feeling when my teeth clank against each other. Mouthguards are for pussies. Just kidding.

After dislocating my shoulder, I put on 20lbs and my cardio practically disappeared.
I credit sparring beginners not only with helping me regain my confidence and cardio but it allowed me to transition from my previously kick centric style to a more methodical counter punching style which has helped me immensely since i've gone back to the fighters class.

It definitely does help. Like you said, it allows you to relax and try new things. When you're sparring hard all the time, you're just in fight mode. I believe that can cause a plateau in your skills or even become detrimental over time.

Sparring will always help your game as long as it stays productive.

Sparring new guys is good because you can try new things that you've been working on or practice defense only,etc.

Sparring guys at your level is good because like the saying goes iron sharpens iron.

And finally sparring guys more experienced then you will MAKE you either rise to their level and or see what flaws they expose in your game so you can correct them

I like it because I get to practice all the silly stuff that I'd wanted to try out for ages but didn't want to get put on my arse as a result.

I hate it, arms flailing everywhere and weird punches or covering up.

Sparring good friends is imo better for this playful creative sparring you're all describing.

I hate it, arms flailing everywhere and weird punches or covering up.

Sparring good friends is imo better for this playful creative sparring you're all describing.

I've always wanted to dodge like Roy Jones Jr/Anderson Silva which is completely possible against those punches

I like it because I get to practice all the silly stuff that I'd wanted to try out for ages but didn't want to get put on my arse as a result.

yup! it's fun when someone tries to throw 100% and i'm doing my best emanuel augustus impression.

Sparring new guys is good because you can try new things that you've been working on or practice defense only,etc.

Sparring guys at your level is good because like the saying goes iron sharpens iron.

And finally sparring guys more experienced then you will MAKE you either rise to their level and or see what flaws they expose in your game so you can correct them

Well said

it has its benefits but when I trained with some experienced guys when I began. I would be submitted while standing by guys half my size because I would lift them up but the would still submit me. That motivated me like a mofo. I felt like a little school kid getting spanked after that shit.

I'd say it's more that training with a variety of people of different styles and different levels is best. If you are sparring against beginners too often, you may pick up bad habits that you get away with against them, but not better opposition. That being said, it's mostly mental. If you can keep that in mind, it's ok. I'd just make sure you have a variety of sparring partners both better, same level, and worse than you.

It's definitely great to spar against someone you are better than at times. Reminds you you don't suck if you are used to getting your ass kicked by a superior fighter.

It's like 1strike said- you need different levels of training partners to go with, sparring against people of different levels always helps.

I like sparring 3 different levels

1) Below..... it's nice to work on different things, dominate the rounds, teach them stuff, etc.

2) Same...... always good to have someone on the same level as you, to motivate you to get better than them. Allows you to have a more realistic aspect of what will work, what won't, etc.

3) Above..... instructors, really experienced guys, etc. Basically see #1 but reversed. Someone who will teach you what you are doing wrong, keep your ego in check, and to motivate you to learn more and to try harder.

Sparring and trying new things with noobs is fun until they throw an unexpected Rocky Balboa punch and it actually lands. Heh.

Also I noticed that when I spar relaxed I develop new skills. I now use the cross guard and deflect punches with my elbow, I feel like that makes my defense a lot more solid, even an amateur guy had problems getting through

BEST THING about sparring beginners is the confidence boost it gives you after being beat down by a more advanced guy.

this is what makes martials arts awesome

BEST THING about sparring beginners is the confidence boost it gives you after being beat down by a more advanced guy.
LOL

Guys, if sparring noobs boosts your confidence, there is something wrong with you.

I don't mind sparring noobs because I like helping them improve... and that's all I like about it.

Back