• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Netflix is for a SINGLE Household..

What doesn’t make sense is what happens when you travel? I spend time in multiple locations throughout the year. I need multiple accounts?

It knows what device you're on.

I get it with my T-Mobile family plan. FIL lives in a different house. I wonder how that is gonna work.

Seems like a desperate move.

I didn't realize how fierce the competition was until I got my cable package upgraded. It came with a bunch of free apps, that aren't as bad as they seem. This one in particular called "tubi", is amazing. The selection is way beyond what I thought it would be, and the ads are very sparse. Maybe three or four ad breaks for a two hour movie, and it's like one or two ads per break. It's less intrusive than Youtube. Totally free. And Netflix is gonna try a subscription based "ad" model, for like $8 a month? Heh, no thanks. Netflix might very well be the Blockbuster of streaming services in the near future, if they can't find a way to make money. Pretty sure they've always been operating at a loss, but with all these mom and pop services popping up for free, and not bothering to get too deep into the original production stuff, they best get some kind of identity back, or they'll be left in the dust.

Been loving Tubi, the best kids stuff for my 2 year old(GI Joe from late 80's and OG Transformers) and a ton of old straight to VHS action movies I used to love, shit you can't find anywhere, Robot Jox, I Come In Peace, all the Kickboxer sequels etc. Lovely.

Been loving Tubi, the best kids stuff for my 2 year old(GI Joe from late 80's and OG Transformers) and a ton of old straight to VHS action movies I used to love, shit you can't find anywhere, Robot Jox, I Come In Peace, all the Kickboxer sequels etc. Lovely.
Tubi is owned by Fox and yes, it does some nostalgic stuff on their app.

I use HBO Max way more nowadays anyway. Might just cancel netflix

Tubi. It’s full of old classics, forgotten good movies and B movie fare. It’s better than Netflix overall except for recent selection..

They're cracking down on password sharing.

I'm curious how this will work when I'm travelling.

I don't share my password with anyone but if it rejects me because of a different ip, someone is going to receive a less then polite email.

I think the plan was already dropped but the way it is intended to work is that the device must log in from the home location every 30 days.

What if you are a businessman who travels? You can't access Netflix away from home?

Netflix's recent blog post said members in Canada, New Zealand, Spain and Portugal would now be asked to set up a "primary location" for their account.

“Members can still easily watch Netflix on their personal devices or log into a new TV, like at a hotel or a holiday rental," it continued.

Yea that's for poor people though. The rest of us can pay for the tier with no commercials. If cable TV had that then I could maybe see it coming back around but it doesn't you're forced to watch it. Best you can do is DVR the program and fast forward through it.

What happens with truck drivers who live in their trucks and stop at a different location every night. I know many of them have Netflix.
They'll have to resort to killing hookers for fun, like in the olden days

Yea that's for poor people though. The rest of us can pay for the tier with no commercials. If cable TV had that then I could maybe see it coming back around but it doesn't you're forced to watch it. Best you can do is DVR the program and fast forward through it.

Despite rumors of its demise, cable has not gone anywhere. A hundred bagillion trillion people just watched the Superbowl on cable. If anything, streaming apps are morphing into cable, and their structure is starting to crack.

Despite rumors of its demise, cable has not gone anywhere. A hundred bagillion trillion people just watched the Superbowl on cable. If anything, streaming apps are morphing into cable, and their structure is starting to crack.

No cable hasn't gone anywhere but it sure as hell isn't gaining users. Cable is continuing to lose subscribers. 50 million people dropped cable from 2016 to 2021.

https://martech.org/cable-tv-subscriptions-set-to-drop-below-50-of-all-us-households/
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/cord-cutting-hits-epic-levels-cable-comcast-charter-att

It's funny you mention the super bowl because it's well known that live sports are one of the only things keeping cable alive. Some streaming apps are finding ways to make it cheaper for people to get into the eco system but they are far from what cable tv is. If you think the streaming structure is starting to crack then surely you can see what a horrible state cable TV is in. It's doing much much worse and losing far more people.

On top of that lots and lots of companies now are trying to get into streaming so you're going to have some failures here and there. Eventually things will settle down and most companies will be selling their catalogue to whoever is left.

In the UK Amazon Prime has started buying exclusive rights to a lot of Premier League matches, that's the kind of stuff that will kill off cable.

Back