Neosporin is your friend (Scar and Staph prevention)

gocubs1815

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
In the past 4 months of BJJ, I've gotten more cuts than ever before. They've come from having some wars with people on the mat and from having rolled with some idiots who forget to trim their nails as well. With all the nicks and scrapes, I've used a lot Neosporin antibacterial ointment. My hope was that using it would keep the wound clean prevent scars from forming.

I know, right now I'm talking about a few scrapes from mat burn and finger nails. But I'm also taking stand up class, and frankly, I don't want to end up like Diego Sanchez with a goats vagina on my face. And lets not forget staph and ringworm either.

What do you all use for cuts and scrapes? And is there anything you know of that can prevent a scar?

Last edited:
Neosporin does nothing. It is like giving staph a massage.

The best thing for cuts is a good scrubbing with soap and hot water, as soon as possible after you get them. Then let it dry exposed to air.

Are you for real? You must want to get sick and make others at you gym sick! That does nothing you will build up a Defence against your bodys natural defence of the "funk"!!!!!!!

for scars, use burt's bees res-q ointment. it works wonders.

The best thing for cuts is a good scrubbing with soap and hot water, as soon as possible after you get them. Then let it dry exposed to air.

Actually, bandaids help cuts heal faster, they cover up the wound and facilitate the natural fluids that your body produce to make scabs, and provides an outlet for the excess fluids to drain into.

Soap/ water is the best bet though, staphiseptic is good for the interim, if you get a cut while rolling/ sparring, then make sure to wash thoroughly, disinfect w/ alcohol or witchhazel, and bandage.

Detol is the key my fraaands

Detol + bandaid will disinfect any cut

Just curious, is neosporin completely useless or just not good for this type of stuff?

Neosporian is a great item to use to get "The Red out"

When I went to the doctor a few months ago I asked him about using it for scrapes and small cuts.

He said it works great, better than most prescription ointments at stopping injection and accelerating the healing process. But he said the drawback, is that it also hinders cell regeneration. Which is where you are suppose to use silver sulfate. Which kills almost the same amount of things, but doesn't hinder cell regrowth. The issue is, silver sulfate is about 5x as expensive.

In the end, if you get staph, you need pills to fix that or should I say, you better get pills to fix it, because that shit will mess you up.

Otherwise, I use Neosporian and a band-aid. Band-aids protect the cut so it doesn't get any direct contact and reopened. Plus the neosporian keep the cut to where if there is any crap in there, your body can push it out, and into the ointment.

Do you have a source for this?

Neosporin should be generally effective against staph. I am sure there are some variants of staph that are resistant to the antibiotics included, but overall Neosporin is designed to be effective against a lot of common bacteria.

Also, it is a well documented medical fact that cuts heal better when covered with a bandage rather than exposed to air.

In eight years of grappling I have never gotten ringworm, staph or empetago or whatever it is. This is probably due to the fact that I clean myself and don't roll on dirty mats. Perhaps some of the dirty folks from this thread can do there friends a service and wash there stank ass to avoid sharing there parasites with others. One ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure.

In eight years of grappling I have never gotten ringworm, staph or empetago or whatever it is. This is probably due to the fact that I clean myself and don't roll on dirty mats. Perhaps some of the dirty folks from this thread can do there friends a service and wash there stank ass to avoid sharing there parasites with others. One ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure.

Yes, your personal experience over the past eight years is a statistically significant sample.

Get real.

Do you have a source for this?

Neosporin should be generally effective against staph. I am sure there are some variants of staph that are resistant to the antibiotics included, but overall Neosporin is designed to be effective against a lot of common bacteria.

Also, it is a well documented medical fact that cuts heal better when covered with a bandage rather than exposed to air.

This is what my doctor told me. Almost nothing kills MRSA, so garden variety neosporin certainly isn't likely to do it. If neosporin killed staph efficiently in the real world, it would be a hell of a lot easier to deal with MRSA. The best defense against staph is simply to keep it from getting in the wound in the first place, and to the extent it does get into a cut to physically wash it out with soap. You aren't killing it with the soap, you just want to wash it away. It's wretchedly hard to kill. Now there probably is some benefit to having a layer of neosporin over the cut for preventing future staph from getting into it, as a physical barrier.

Good article explaining staph treatment:

How effective is Neosporin at eliminating staph colonization in the nose? - Yahoo! Answers

Our Foaming Skin Sanitizer can be used on minor scrapes and abrasions to prevent infections from entering the bloodstream. Works like a "super bactine."

This is what my doctor told me. Almost nothing kills MRSA, so garden variety neosporin certainly isn't likely to do it. If neosporin killed staph efficiently in the real world, it would be a hell of a lot easier to deal with MRSA. The best defense against staph is simply to keep it from getting in the wound in the first place, and to the extent it does get into a cut to physically wash it out with soap. You aren't killing it with the soap, you just want to wash it away. It's wretchedly hard to kill. Now there probably is some benefit to having a layer of neosporin over the cut for preventing future staph from getting into it, as a physical barrier.

Good article explaining staph treatment:

How effective is Neosporin at eliminating staph colonization in the nose? - Yahoo! Answers

MRSA is not the same as regular staph. It's a specific subset of staph that isn't that common and is resistant to antibiotics.

MRSA is one of the variants of staph resistant to antibiotics that I mentioned in my post. Neosporin won't work against it by definition. However, for the vast majority of staph infections, Neosporin will work fine because the vast majority of staph infections are not MRSA.

You're making the mistake of assuming that most staph infections are MRSA. The vast majority are not.

This is what I was taught on my surgery rotation. Apparently Neosporin doesn't really do much in eliminating pathogens/preventing infection. I don't remember what studies the attending was quoting, but I'll try to find relevant literature when I return to the hospital tomorrow. Definitely soap and irrigation is one of the best things you can do for a wound.

Are you for real? You must want to get sick and make others at you gym sick! That does nothing you will build up a Defence against your bodys natural defence of the "funk"!!!!!!!
This is wrong. Your body doesn't build a defense to anything. You don't become immune to neosporin, the bacteria does! The bacteria will evolve and become resistant to the anti-biotics, it has nothing to do with your body!

Back