negatives of body triangle from back control?

If you roll to the side where the triangle's locked up, you can hook round the top leg and hip forward. Comes on as a footlock, same feeling as being footlocked via crossing your feet.

This is correct. I've seen this submission a couple times against the body triangle from the back

I don't use it in the gi: no armbar, no triangle, no bow and arrow choke (can do the traditional Judo-style Okuri Eri Jime but not the throw-the-leg-over BJJ-type) - there's basically the rear naked choke and some collar chokes but it's very limited. In nogi it's much more useful as it helps to reduce the slipperiness caused by sweat and this is a fair trade-off for the loss of the triangle and the armbar. I personally prefer the usual hooks or the half back mount due to the threat of being leglocked.

Also depends on your body type.

If you are on the shorter side, you will probably gain more from hooks. And yeah, you can ocasionally cross your feet, if you don't go crazy about it and in that moments you need additional control. Even Rickson did it in some of his MMA fights.

Body triangles are better for big guys with long legs. Roger Gracie is the perfect example of that, specially because he has more space to work, if he needs to unlock and get back to mount for example.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that you don't get points for a body triangle. If you're at a school that puts a big emphasis on competition, this could have something to do with it?

came in to post this. some tournaments give points for this position and some dont

There are a couple of leglocks that can be done from there, but it's generally safe. The downside is that it's hard to transition from there. I used to like the body triangle but now I don't use it anymore.

This.....but in a real fight the body triangle is best for securing position. Under the armpit to wrist control, the body triangle, and a free elbow to strike the back of the neck. :):cool:

The body lock is vital for control in no gi. Just watch the back takes in adcc, if you want only the regular hooks you better be sick at transitioning to that armbar cus back control without the body triangle at the highest level does not take long to escape in no gi.

As for not squeezing too hard due to etiquette that's up there with the most retarded serious things I've heard. Should we not squeeze rear nakeds and guillotines too hard too? Pathetic.

I've tapped multiple ppl with the body lock alone, and tapped out a few times to it. It's legit, deal with it. Tap if you feel discomfort and move on just like any other sub.

And the body triangle is a great position to hit some heavy neck cranks from. You can get a palm to palm and take the head either way with the same grip and finish because of the body triangle keeping them so secure. With just the hooks it's not possible.

For me the neck crank options outweigh not being able to switch to the armbar.

Just make sure to keep the body triangle on top if they are on their side, and drill switching it smoothly when they turn from one side to the other.

Back