Need some imput.

SamuelDeath

White Belt
Reaction score
Alright.

I have a few problems w/ the school I do Muay Thai at, and I found another place in town that says it has a MT class.

I am going in on friday to check it out.

What are some things to look for regarding legitiment and authentic training? Because apparently I may have overlooked some things at my current school.

And if you wanna know my gripes with the current place.

-The use a belt system. (I know tradtionally MT doesnt use them. Also, I think some others at my rank suck, I push it hard and am deticated and sometimes I get stuck doing padwork
with some schmuck just because we are same rank)

-Big classes (except on fridays)

-Expensive.

-Bias.

The pros.

-It does have competition training availible once you qual.

-Master Toddy did a seminar there and said he liked the way they do things. (so they say)

-Its a nice facility.

-My current instructor is pretty rad, the only instructor that did the fight training and has been in the ring.

If you have two cents to throw down then I want to hear it. I know its ultimately my decision but I am pretty new to all this stuff. (4.5/mo of training)

How often do you spar in this gym? How are the calibur of guys there? How long are you able to train in this gym? 1 hour a day? 3 hours a day?

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
How often do you spar in this gym? How are the calibur of guys there? How long are you able to train in this gym? 1 hour a day? 3 hours a day?

We don't get to spar until we get the blue belt.

I understand building a good foundation but even some really light sparring would be nice, but all we do is work pads and bags until blue.

They are pretty open to who the accept.

There are a couple fatties who do it mostly for the workout and then there are guys like me, athletes who take it serious, wanna learn the trade and push themselves to the max. A handfull of us hope to get in the ring some day.

The sessions only last an hour (they use to be 1.5 befor I started). Open gym on saturday morning. They do have alittle side room. I show up a half hour early to stretch and condition before each class.
The hour of class is a pretty solid workout though.

I go 3-4 days a week.

teamvovchanchyn said:
This link should pretty much answer any question you may have.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=316178

Thanks but none of the instructors have those symptoms.

They are knowledgeable in the art and train safely. And they are well versed in proper dieting and all that.

Its not the technique I have conserns with. But the belt system and no sparring until blue which is really getting my goat.

How soon do most reputable schools start doing some sparring.

I should note, once you do get to where you can spar you do do it quite a lot.

well, let yourself get to the point of sparring. Get the technique down, because if you start sparring too early it can actually mess you up.

Thats my opinion

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
well, let yourself get to the point of sparring. Get the technique down, because if you start sparring too early it can actually mess you up.

Thats my opinion

Thats what thy are going for.

I donno, maybe I am too impatient.

4 1/2 months of training isn't really thaaaaaat much. How long before you might have your blue belt? If you get it in the next month or two, I say stay because it sounds like your school i strying to prep you well.

BEEF said:
4 1/2 months of training isn't really thaaaaaat much. How long before you might have your blue belt? If you get it in the next month or two, I say stay because it sounds like your school i strying to prep you well.

5-6.

I still gotta get through 1 more stripe on my yellow, a orange and green belt.

But I guess they dont keep you at the orange and green for very long.

SamuelDeath said:

Oh jeez you have plenty of time you shouldn't need to worry. Go ahead and stick with this school until you can spar, see how you like it, then make your descision.

SamuelDeath said:
5-6.

I still gotta get through 1 more stripe on my yellow, a orange and green belt.

But I guess they dont keep you at the orange and green for very long.

5 to 6 months isn't that bad really. I would stick with it.

A decent gym shouldn't restrict your freedom of association like the way you describe. Being limited to training with people of equal or lower rank isn't going to do anyone any favours (that said, anyone can learn something from everyone, but that's a separate issue).

Look at it like this: You have the instructor at the top and the beginner at the bottom. Who is in the middle? The rest of the class. Students are the bridge over that gap. It's not practical to have the instructor watch your every move and every mistake and have him correct it; he doesn't have the time, and, let's face it, he probably thinks you aren't as cool as the fighters yet. This is where the more experienced students come in.

Of what I have learned of muay thai, half of it is from the instructor directly (through announcement or personal address) and the other 50% is from the students who know more
than me. Keeping you cooped up with the rest of the mugs isn't doing anyone any favours.
If any restriction at all were to be placed in the theoretically perfect gym, it ought to be that you are lumped in with people of the same weight/build, as these are the people you are most likely to be fighting when you do make the step to competition.

Secondly, there shouldn't be any barriers to sparring like this blue business. If anything, the coach ought to be itching to get you blooded as soon as he can. Competency in techniques is one thing, but if you fall apart when it comes to their application, that's another. If I were a coach, I'd ask these two questions:

1. Does the student feel they are ready for sparring?
2. Do I think they're ready?

If the answer to BOTH of these is yes, then let them tear away. Belts cannot quantify these opinions. Getting into sparring and getting the feel of it is very important, as it allows you to find the right range to throw shots, along with a multitude of other benefits, which can be improved upon during padwork.

What are they charging you, for how long a session, and for how much personal attention?

Big classes can be a pain, but see: there's a much bigger pool of experience from which to draw. I know you aren't allowed to train with the 'better' people, but at least there are people you can ask about stuff later on.

And what is this "bias" you speak of?

might not be so much a belt as a sash, the sash system is fiarly well accepted now in MT but not the same as karate and TKD etc which have very strict guidelines that you need to follow. But as MT commercializes i can see a "belt" system becoming the norm.. but i'm not going to get into that.

First off i instruted a lil while, there are common personalities that you tend to see.

In your case, you seem to be the type to's very enthusiastic and drvien. Generally these guys if you get them young have potential to fight competitively. On the flip side they also tend to burn out and dont handle being schooled in the ring very well.

It seems like you feel like your being held back from what you really can do. but my questions is if you can keep up? Wanting to sparr and being able to handle your self in there is completely different, it's not just about throwing kicks and punches and knees.

I would check around, but i wouldnt fault the club. if everybody sparred withing the first month, the club would be in chaos. I mean how many "tough guys" would join just so they can fight... be a pain in the ass... and then quit the club or sue them because they arent as good as they think? just seeing it from the clubs side.

good luck... but do check it out. it might be better for you.

Back