Need some direction please...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Se0ultrain, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Se0ultrain

Se0ultrain White Belt

I'm still trying to find a decent jujitso dojo where I can get started out in the NYC or Brooklyn area. Surprisingly, I have been having some trouble locating places off of google. Can one of you guys please direct me to any partciular school or dojo? Thanks in advance.

-MK

On another note, does anyone know of any "open mats" in the NYC/Brooklyn area?

2. Hammer & Tong

Hammer & Tong Orange Belt

how the hell would we know?? were not from there? if we cant use google to find it what can we do?
    llook in the yellow pages

now stfu newb, lol a newb telling a newb to stfu newb is preety bad

no take your bags and go to wastland

3. Brock Landers

Brock Landers Orange Belt

what a dumbshit

4. TragicMatsu

TragicMatsu Purple Belt

wtf? you're an idiot.

5. Amy Robinson

Amy Robinson Amateur Fighter

Check out fightresource.com and search for schools in your area. I know Renzo Gracie's school is in NYC, also Matt Serra, Sean Alvarez, and Ricardo Almeida (sp?) have schools in the area.

6. CobraKai4Life

CobraKai4Life Brown Belt

Actually, STFU GNUB

7. ItSaGiFt

ItSaGiFt Green Belt

Cunt...

8. aristophren

aristophren Orange Belt

9. Brock Landers

Brock Landers Orange Belt

unfortunately there aren't many options for (b)jj on the east coast. renzo's school has a decent rep overall, but i know two guys who trained there and said renzo is never there, so u will most likely have to learn from his students. plus there are so many students there, u will likely have to roll with someone who lacks self control. both of those friends are athletes but were new to submission at the time (i'm talking first time on the mat) and got their elbows hyperextended by ranked students there. it's also pricey so if ur looking to save $, better go somewhere else. i think matt serra also has a school in LI (not sure where). don't know much about his school, but if ur new to submission i'd recommend against his place as serra was a student of renzo. on the flipside, if ur already confident at rolling then renzo's could b ideal simply for the number of possible training partners. no doubt there are tough guys there.

the machados used to have a place at 30 west 36th st. marcos santos was teaching. there were some tough guys here a few years back. but haven't been there in a while, but marcos was real cool.

fabio clemente has a school in nyc that has a decent rep. a buddy of mine trained there for a while and only had good things to say about it. it's at 98 3rd ave

as for the open mats, check out fight house at 122 west 27th. i haven't been there in a while, but last time out they were renovating, so hopefully their mats r new - their old ones sucked. they were connected by velcro srtips that never held so fingers and toes got caught. anyway, the space is huge and u shud b able to get a good deal if u bring in ur own crew and schedule a block of time that isn't already busy.

good luck!

10. robnoxious24

robnoxious24 Guest

wow what a nice fucking guy you are. We are all so happy you are here asshole

11. Se0ultrain

Se0ultrain White Belt

Thanks for your help, guys. After scouring through a lot of pages, I was able to find this place: http://www.roninathletics.com/

Has anyone ever heard of it? Seems OK to me. I'm not looking for anything particularly special, just a good place to learn, get a good work out, and release the stresses of law school haha, and hopefully kick a little ass while at it. I will definitely check out the places you guys recommened as well. Thanks again!

-MK