Need Some advice

mmajunkie12

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have a choice between 2 MMA gyms but i am undecided as one gym has superior standup and the other superior BJJ. So i am wondering which way to go around this maybe based on some of you guys experiences.
Cheers

I know this sounds like a stupid canned answer but.... do what you like? Really neither is a bad scenario.

do what you want. and if you really want to know, post the gyms and maybe one really is superior

Do either train wrestling? To me without TD and/or TDD, both striking and BJJ are relatively useless in MMA, depending on skill of opponent. If you can stuff takedowns and force them to strike w/ you, great. If you can take them down and sub them, that works too. But you can't KO someone from your back & you can't sub them without getting them to the ground first.

Up to you, and how you adapt personally. I know people who on paper would seem like perfect strikers (tall, lanky, great reach for their height), but mentally they don't do well striking, but excell at grappling. So you'll have to find out what your mix is.

Like the poster above said there needs to be some form of wrestling classes/rolling taught and dilled in the gyms. Where I am there is a lack of wrestling, so the grapplers are almost all BJJ guys. Issues I have seen when they face a superior striker with semi sprawl defense: they shut down hard. A few combos from the striker, and they're like deer in headlights. As sad and unbelievable as it may sound, the BJJ cats lost by subs as well. What I've said might piss some off, but its a reality that happens when there is no wrestling training of sorts involved.

good/great striking + some TDD > pure BJJ + 3-6months rudimentary striking

Back