Need Some Advice

Ghostdogg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I went to the doctors and got some bad news! I have high bp high cholesterol and elavated liver. So I need to work on these things but my main question is what are good foods or things that help lower cholesterol and tips will help thanx guys.

If it grows from the ground or used to breath, eat it. If it was made in a factory, don't.

Regular exercise can help to lower cholestorol

So I went to the doctors and got some bad news! I have high bp high cholesterol and elavated liver. So I need to work on these things but my main question is what are good foods or things that help lower cholesterol and tips will help thanx guys.

Macadamia nuts have been proven to help lower cholesterol, Brazil nuts are good for your prostate. Beyond that dont eat nuts.

Cut out all dairy, butter, cheese, milk yoghurt etc. Switch to lean meats like chicken & fish limiting red meat/pork consumtion to one meal a week.

If you must eat disgusting butter or margarine (if youve seen how they make margarine you would never eat it again) you can shift to a margarine with the cholesterol lowering ingredients which I cant think of the name at the moment.

For your liver, sadly no alchohol, probably no caffeine and basically nothing much else either. Just stick with plain old water and make sure you get in your 2-3 litres or so a day (depending on your climate you may need more).

Exercise will help your body overall.

To be honest the Doctor should have either spoken to you about diet change, given you some literature or given you a referal to someone else to help you.

well i dont drink alcohol so that is good thanx for the tips guys

How old are you? Are you overweight? Do you get regular exercise now?

High BP and cholesterol can both be improved with regular exercise. Many people who are overweight can drop blood pressure significantly by simply dropping weight. For many people, cholesterol levels are not tied closely to diet, and would be better managed with exercise.

Raw garlic is great for lowering cholesterol levels and it tastes great in a salad. My Mom did this after she got a scare and her levels lowered significantly. Unfortunately she was still too scared to NOT go on Lipitor. Eat a few cloves a day, start exercising as others have mentioned and see what happens. Take some milk thistle for your liver. Others have mentioned Glutathione and bupleurum as good for the liver as well. Do some research and experimenting and find out what works best for you.

im 32 and i weigh 315 and i just started bjj class

I think you'll find that after you clean up your diet and start losing weight that your numbers will improve just from the weight loss.

I think for now you should throw out the grains (bread, pasta, rice, cereals), junk food, sweets, table sugar. Eat vegetables, meat, fish, nuts / seeds mainly and diary if you like. And don't drink juices. Also don't eat too much salt, sleep enough.

Some of this will be repetitive:
Low carb(only carbs from veggies - eat lots of those, and some fruits) would probably be beneficial, definitely eliminating as much sugar as possible is a must. You are definitely a candidate for a higher dose of fish oil. As far as the liver I would venture to guess that elevated enzyme levels are a direct result of the burden placed on your body by obesity and elevated triglycerides - so that should correct itself when you get your diet and exercise in check. In the meantime you can take milk thistle and N-acetylcysteine (NAC) to support liver function.

Like Ronin said eat as natural as possible - stay away from the "gimmicks" like diet and low fat.

Squat, deadlift, and bench on days you don't roll. Cut out the processed food. That should do it.

if the doctor tries to prescribe statins for you, refuse. if you wonder why, do a little research and listen to superhumanradio and you'll see.

One of the most important factors (if not the single most important factor, besides genetics) in lowering your cholesterol is limiting your intake of saturated fat and trans fat. Saturated and trans fatty acids increase the body's levels of LDL cholesterol (the bad one) in the blood and decreases your HDL (good) cholesterol. Avoid foods containing large amounts of these fats. Read your nutrition facts labels closely and pick foods that do not contain or are very low saturated fat and trans fat.

One thing you need to be aware of is that just because a food label indicates that the product has 0 grams of trans fat, it may not be true. The FDA allows food manufacturers to round down to zero if the product contains 0.5 grams or less per serving. The easiest way to check if a food product has trans fat is to look at the list of ingredients; if the food contains "hydrogenated (or partially hydrogenated) oil", then it contains trans fat.

Check out this link, the nutritional advice on this page (and website) are second to none: WHFoods: Elevated Cholesterol 1: If I have high cholesterol levels, can a healthy way of eating help me lower them into a normal range?. It's a long read, but it's worth your while. There are links at the bottom of the page too. Here's an excerpt:
In addition to a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in saturated fats, soluble fiber from foods such as oats, peas and beans (especially soy beans), has been found to lower elevated levels of LDL and improve the ratio of LDL to HDL. Cold water fish, garlic and onions, olive oil and other sources of monounsaturated fats have also been shown to lower LDL, while cranberries, soy foods and niacin have been found to raise HDL.

In short, eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes, etc. (I'm sure that this is surprising advice). Eat foods that contain monounsaturated fat (olives, avocados, garlic, etc.) or omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, flax seeds, walnuts, and soybeans. The link I provided lists more foods as well.

As for your elevated liver enzymes, it's due to your weight. Excess weight is hard on your liver. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Last of all, exercise will help you greatly in combating your health issues (I'm sure you're surprised to hear that one). Hope this helps you out.

One of the most important factors (if not the single most important factor, besides genetics) in lowering your cholesterol is limiting your intake of saturated fat and trans fat. Saturated and trans fatty acids increase the body's levels of LDL cholesterol (the bad one) in the blood and decreases your HDL (good) cholesterol. Avoid foods containing large amounts of these fats. Read your nutrition facts labels closely and pick foods that do not contain or are very low saturated fat and trans fat.

One thing you need to be aware of is that just because a food label indicates that the product has 0 grams of trans fat, it may not be true. The FDA allows food manufacturers to round down to zero if the product contains 0.5 grams or less per serving. The easiest way to check if a food product has trans fat is to look at the list of ingredients; if the food contains "hydrogenated (or partially hydrogenated) oil", then it contains trans fat.

Check out this link, the nutritional advice on this page (and website) are second to none: WHFoods: Elevated Cholesterol 1: If I have high cholesterol levels, can a healthy way of eating help me lower them into a normal range?. It's a long read, but it's worth your while. There are links at the bottom of the page too. Here's an excerpt:
In addition to a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in saturated fats, soluble fiber from foods such as oats, peas and beans (especially soy beans), has been found to lower elevated levels of LDL and improve the ratio of LDL to HDL. Cold water fish, garlic and onions, olive oil and other sources of monounsaturated fats have also been shown to lower LDL, while cranberries, soy foods and niacin have been found to raise HDL.

In short, eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes, etc. (I'm sure that this is surprising advice). Eat plant foods that contain monounsaturated fatty acids (olives, avocados, garlic, etc.) or omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, flax seeds, walnuts, and soybeans.

As for your elevated liver enzymes, it's due to your weight. Excess weight is hard on your liver. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Last of all, exercise will help you with all of your health concerns (I'm sure you're surprised to hear that one). Hope this helps you out.

Back