Need solo judo drills to train

Kalma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'd done a MA in the past that allowed mem to tran by myself if need be. For example I could do Katas or what have you.

I have now taken up Judo and without a partner Im not sure what people do for solo drills when training alone.

any help would be welcomed.

so far I've just lined up a pair of shoes at shoulder width and practice getting in between them as if Im entering for a throw ...

any others people do?

Get a stretchy rubber rope or long rubber band type thing, and uchikomi with it.

And uchikomi at full force too, because otherwise you'll just bounce off.

34o22wy.jpg

Amazon.com: Martin Rooney: Books

Even with rubber bands you are not going to be advancing technically all that much. Better to take whatever time you have on your hands solo and just work on your attributes. Do plyometrics, do breakfall exercises, do grip strength exercises(pull-ups with a towel or a gi slung over a bar is good to get that cloth grip tight) do explosive weightlifting like the Olympic lifts, swing kettlebells if you have access to them...my old Judo coach said the basic kettlebell doble hand swing was the exercise he

Even with rubber bands you are not going to be advancing technically all that much. Better to take whatever time you have on your hands solo and just work on your attributes. Do plyometrics, do breakfall exercises, do grip strength exercises(pull-ups with a towel or a gi slung over a bar is good to get that cloth grip tight) do explosive weightlifting like the Olympic lifts, swing kettlebells if you have access to them...my old Judo coach said the basic kettlebell doble hand swing was the exercise he

If you have leadshot or another dense metal object/weight that is small enough to grab onto, you can use them as a grip strength exercise.
Practice your footwork. Lol you could even practice shrimping back and forth to build your core. Get some free weights and practice your kazushi (sp)

do kettlebells work grip strength all that much?

The can if you do the right exercises. Bottoms-up presses are great for grip strength. Many of the compound routines really work your forearms and grip as well.

The swing, however, is all about your abdomen, back and legs.

^^^^^^
I do uchikomi using the rope handles at the gym.

Back