Need input on trying to get healthy (again)

pSyKOaLby

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I haven't felt healthy ever since I started college 2 years ago. My heart hasn't been feeling that great (it kind of hurts sometimes when I eat too fast or too much). My cardio is down the drain and my body fat is up the roof. So here's my plan to gradually get back my health (and also gain muscle while I'm at it):

Everyday:
Fish oil pills for my heart
Green tea pills for whatever health benefits (also to increase thermogenesis)
Muscle milk to help me lose the fat and gain lean muscle

5 days a week:
Run about 1-2 miles (hopefully be able to run 3 miles daily by the end of the quarter. I'm pretty ashamed since I used to run 5-7 miles like nothing when I was on cross country)

3 days a week:
Lift weights
MT and BJJ

So what do you think? Should I just take Muscle Milk only when I'm working out?
Also, my diet is pretty unhealthy when I'm living away from home (always eating out because I can't cook for crap). I usually eat out at fast food, pasta, pizza, and take-out places. I have a Foreman grill that I'm thinking about using on a daily basis. Even if I'm taking fish oil, green tea, and working out every other day, do I still need to drastically change my diet? Thanks.

yes, diet is completely necessary if you really want to get into good shape. i would read the articles at www.johnberardi.com for somewhere to start in your nutrition specifically "Lean Eatin" and the introduction to nutrition articles, the guy really knows his stuff. also, if you havent trained for awhile, you may want to watch your work level, as i got the vibe you havent worked out in awhile and are planning on jumping straight into this. i recovery supplement couldnt hurt, just do whatever it takes to not overtrain. im overtrained right now, and i can tell you its definately something you want to avoid

I'd definately go see a doctor about that heart thing.

The diet is the most important part. I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again. You are awake for say 12 hours of the day. You workout for one of those hours. The other 11 hours will nuilfy that one hour, no matter how hard you work, unless it is healthy. You can spend all day in the gym but with an unhealthy diet, you'll go nowhere.

Your schedule seems alright though. I guess my advice is, if you live in an apartment or house off campus where you can cook, is to just take a couple hours say on Sunday evening to cook a bunch of chicken breasts for the week. At least this way you will have a healthy dinner and some meat for lunch.

First and foremost, I would see a physician about your heart. Better safe than sorry.

Next, the key to getting healthy is indeed diet. Do not worry about overdoing the excersize right off the bat, ease yourself into it and increase along the way.

However, you should change your diet immediatly. Low sodium, moderate carbs, and high protein.

EAT BREAKFAST. Do not skip this meal; starving throughout your early waking hours will only intensify cravings and gluttinous behavior later on in the day. Eating breakfast also kickstarts your metabolism in the morning.

Try to have anywhere from 6-8 smaller meals spread over the course of the day, rather than 3 heavy meals. This will keep your metabolic rate up. Also, go for the heavier meals earlier on, and keep dinner and evening meals on the lighter side. This way, you won't go to bed with a "bloated" feeling. Try not to eat after 8pm.

Eat CLEAN!!! steer clear of heavily processed foods (chips, or most shit found in plastic bags) as well as preserved foods (many contain way too much sodium).

NO SODA. Stay away from all sugary drinks, as well as alcohol...or at least drink occasionally in moderation and choose LIGHT. Stay away from mixed drinks...many of them can contain hundreds of calories. On average, a Long Island Iced Tea yields over 700 calories per serving!!! Drink lots of water, at least the recommended 8 glasses (8 oz) per day.

The musclemilk I would reccomend you use as either a pre, during, or post workout boost. An occasional meal replacement (lunch???) with the muscle milk would be ok too.

From reading your current diet, it loks as if you are living the typical college lifestyle. This is going to have to be changed if you want to get healthy. When eating out, go for the healthier meal options (they are there, you just need to look for them). Ordering Chinese take-out? Go for the steamed veggies and shrimp or chicken. Cut back on the heavy-sauced pastas, and eat pasta in general in moderation. With pizza, try getting it with veggies.

The hardest part for you IMO will be changing your eating habits. That is the case for most people, and why they are not seeing results. No matter how much you work out, if what you out into your body doesn't change, you will not see the results you want.

ace98 said:
I'd definately go see a doctor about that heart thing.

I agree, if you're getting pains in your chest while eating or eating too much...that ain't right.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. I guess my exercise will come through gradually as I change my diet. As for my heart, I'm really worried. It usually happens when I'm eating large portions of meat. But yeah, I'm going to see a doctor soon. I thought I had a pretty healthy heart from being on cross country throughout high school, but I guess two years of inactivity (except the occasional thai boxing) really messed with my heart.

Are you sure it's not heartburn/acid indigestion? I've had it before and it does suck, your stomach is right below your heart, so it can seem like it is your heart that is hurting. Anyway, sounds like your doing the right thing by having a doctor check it out and cleaning up your diet. Good luck and try to keep the stress levels low. I went to school in LA., what school are you attending?

my big toe said:
Are you sure it's not heartburn/acid indigestion? I've had it before and it does suck, your stomach is right below your heart, so it can seem like it is your heart that is hurting. Anyway, sounds like your doing the right thing by having a doctor check it out and cleaning up your diet. Good luck and try to keep the stress levels low. I went to school in LA., what school are you attending?
Thanks. I live in Los Angeles but I go to UC Riverside. I definitely don't get healthy breathing the air over here.

pSyKOaLby said:
Thanks. I live in Los Angeles but I go to UC Riverside. I definitely don't get healthy breathing the air over here.

Oh yeah, that's some thick air. Stock up on anti-oxidants! Also, you probably want to do your runs in the morning if you can.

pSyKOaLby said:

beta-carotene, vitamin E, zinc and selenium are great anti-oxidants that u should be supplementing with your fish oil.. the omega-3 in fish oil easily oxidizes (goes rancid) so keep it refrigerated.. also, when omega-3 is oxidizes in your body, they become free-radicals.. so beta-carotene and vitamin E will help out a lot especially with that polluted air.. make sure you get the natural kind though.. synthetic beta-carotene is actually bad for you (increases chance of lung cancer in smokers) and synthetic vitamin E--i've read studies where u only absorb 1/3 of it...

o and with the minerals it's best to get opti-zinc or zinc aspartate.. and selemonothoinine :wink:

supersudo said:
beta-carotene, vitamin E, zinc and selenium are great anti-oxidants that u should be supplementing with your fish oil.. the omega-3 in fish oil easily oxidizes (goes rancid) so keep it refrigerated.. also, when omega-3 is oxidizes in your body, they become free-radicals.. so beta-carotene and vitamin E will help out a lot especially with that polluted air.. make sure you get the natural kind though.. synthetic beta-carotene is actually bad for you (increases chance of lung cancer in smokers) and synthetic vitamin E--i've read studies where u only absorb 1/3 of it...

o and with the minerals it's best to get opti-zinc or zinc aspartate.. and selemonothoinine :wink:
Thanks a lot. I never knew of some of these until now. I'll look into multi-vitamins now.

PS: What multi-vitamin product from DPS do any of you suggest?

man eat whole foods , stay away of that crap , thats a key for ANY problem , and dont consume grains

OH MY GOd I am trying so hard not to eat the zepoles in the kitchen that my mom got from the fair in town. Oh. My. God. I am so close to eating them. BUT I HAVE TO STAY STRONG

Back