Need help washing the gi...

DaDiazBros**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How long do you guys keep the gi in the dryer for?

I wash with cold water, then dry it for about 15 minutes on delicate. However it keeps shrinking!

Thank you guys so much.

only advice i can give is to hand wash and let it air dry. what makes cotton shrink is when it clangs against the washer or dryer.

in the future, i would look into pre shrunk gi's such as the Vulcan's (which i really like). I can throw it in the wash and dry in hot for 30 mins without shrinkage. Plus the rubber collars are great because they dry so fast!

If you buy it your size cold wash hang dry.

Some buy a bigger size and shrink it down, so they
can wash and dry it however.

I always wash mine in cold water and then let it air dry and it never shrinks. I will admit it is kind of time consuming though on the air drying tip.

air dry the top dryer the pants.

Cold wash (30 degrees on delicates setting), then hang up to dry. I would advise against using the spin drier, as that is liable to cause shrinking. Can also reduce the lifespan of the gi in the long run.

I machine wash(cold water) and tumble dry my gi after each training session. In over 2 years there has been no shrinkage(lol). The trick is to take the gi out of the tumble dryer before it is completely dry and hang it up. If it gets to that bone dry state while in the dryer it will shrink significantly, although you can stretch it out again(about 70-80%) using an iron with the steam setting on high.

only advice i can give is to hand wash and let it air dry. what makes cotton shrink is when it clangs against the washer or dryer.

in the future, i would look into pre shrunk gi's such as the Vulcan's (which i really like). I can throw it in the wash and dry in hot for 30 mins without shrinkage. Plus the rubber collars are great because they dry so fast!

hand wash a gi? damm.. just machine wash cold and air dry.

I wash in cold with White Vinegar ( from the grocery store), air dry the top, pants in the dryer. White vinegar is good for stains and killing any bacteria.

I wash in cold with White Vinegar ( from the grocery store), air dry the top, pants in the dryer. White vinegar is good for stains and killing any bacteria.

I hang dry both. I do however put a heater in the bathroom on low setting with the door closed to speed up the process

If you buy it your size cold wash hang dry.

Some buy a bigger size and shrink it down, so they
can wash and dry it however.

Yeah this is what I like to do. Get it bigger and then you can dry it all you want.

I was h mine in 40 degrees celsius, hang to dry, sometiems I put it in my boiler room where I have a air-demoisteraizer

If you buy a gi to fit you out of the bag, you will always have to fart around with cold water wash and hang in a dark room so as not to get to much shrinkage. I have never bought a gi that fits out of the bag, always one size larger, one good thing about a judogi, the manufacture will tell how mutch shrinkage to expect. All this treating your gi like your mammas nightey seems silly, with all the crap going around and the nasty stuff on the mats, i will hot water wash and heat dry my gis.

All this treating your gi like your mammas nightey seems silly

Exactly. At the end of the day most gis are 100% cotton, like many items of clothing you would'nt hesitate to throw in the washing machine/dryer.

I've seen the lapels in the Vulkans go really weird after it being in the drier..

Back