Need Help finding the right weight for Training Glove.

SteveX

Nobody F*cks Wit Da Jesus
@Black
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to invest of a pair of gloves to train MT in. I am having trouble deciding what weight to get.

I am getting the gloves for mostly mitt work and sparring. I am 180-190 pounds and my friend is 120-130 punds. What weight gloves would you suggest for each of us.

I was told by someone that 10-12 ounces for him, and 12-14 ounces for me would be good for the mitts. I was thinking though that if we each got a heavier gloves (14 for him, 16 for me), it would be better for conditioning as well as sparring.

Thanks

do you mean for both of us? I was suggested 12-14 and him 10-12

VietMTwarrior said:
i train with 16 oz. my hands r crazy :]

warrior, how much do you weigh? Also, when you say crazy do you mean speed, power, or both?

SteveX said:
warrior, how much do you weigh? Also, when you say crazy do you mean speed, power, or both?
i weigh about 150 a lil bit cubby my natural weight if i lost most mybody fat wud prolly be 135 ive been using 16 oz. since i started training it really helped my punching power, endurance of keeping my hands up(when i 1st started the gloves felt so heavy haha) and most of all the heavy gloves helped my speed

i train MT with 14oz sparring gloves. 5'9 195 pounds
I personaly don't like the 16oz but it's a matter of taste IMO.

SteveX said:
Hello, I am looking to invest of a pair of gloves to train MT in. I am having trouble deciding what weight to get.

I am getting the gloves for mostly mitt work and sparring. I am 180-190 pounds and my friend is 120-130 punds. What weight gloves would you suggest for each of us.

I was told by someone that 10-12 ounces for him, and 12-14 ounces for me would be good for the mitts. I was thinking though that if we each got a heavier gloves (14 for him, 16 for me), it would be better for conditioning as well as sparring.

Thanks

Go with 16oz for both of you! It has more cushion for sparring and you will be used to having heavier gloves. If you ever fight, 12 oz gloves will feel light and your hands will be even faster. I even use 18 and 20oz gloves because I am HW.

BEEF said:
Go with 16oz for both of you! It has more cushion for sparring and you will be used to having heavier gloves. If you ever fight, 12 oz gloves will feel light and your hands will be even faster. I even use 18 and 20oz gloves because I am HW.
wat beef said.. lol

Thanks for the help guys, made the decision a lot easir for me...16oz it is

BabyPhenom said:
12 for you, 10 for your friend

Why so small? Those are fighting gloves you talk about. They want to sparr and train mits.

i'm 130 pounds and use 20 oz gloves. crazy hand speed!!!

some gyms yell at you for not having 16 oz. i personally think 12 is good for sparring, they are the official amateur san shou weight.

I'm 5.10, 130 pound and I used 14oz MT glove is that good or bad?

You're crazy if you spar with 12 ounces.
ideally
14 oz for bags
16 oz for sparring

if you are a strong heavyweight you want to do more.

Liquid Snake said:
some gyms yell at you for not having 16 oz. i personally think 12 is good for sparring, they are the official amateur san shou weight.

competition is not the same as sparring. you spar way more than you compete, therefore you need bigger gloves for safety. competition is done less, so it's okay if it's more dangerous. am boxers use 10oz for light people and 12 for heaviers, but that doesn't mean you should spar with those sizes.

BlackBeltNow said:
You're crazy if you spar with 12 ounces.
ideally
14 oz for bags
16 oz for sparring

if you are a strong heavyweight you want to do more

competition is not the same as sparring. you spar way more than you compete, therefore you need bigger gloves for safety. competition is done less, so it's okay if it's more dangerous. am boxers use 10oz for light people and 12 for heaviers, but that doesn't mean you should spar with those sizes.

This post answers all your questions.

Back