Need good BJJ or Grappling school in Southern NJ area

johng333

White Belt
Reaction score
Looking for grappling or BJJ school but would love a gym that did MMA so I could also get some MT and possibly some boxing. Might also be interested in a judo school.

Marlton / Cherry Hill or at least with in 45 minutes, closer the better.

Looking for a good school where I can get not only good instruction but good challenge. Hate the "LA Fitness" attitude where no one wants to really put in effort and never wants to bang hard. Also hate the "Ancient Masters" where they spend all their time on old forms that have little practical application. You can get tons of schools like that in karate and kung fu. I like to train hard and I am very respectful of my coaches and fellow classmates, but I want to be someplace where I can have a chance to push (as appropriate).

So far I found these schools but I don't know anything about them:

South Jersey BJJ Welcome to SJBJJ

Garden State BJJ Garden State Brazilian Jui Jitsu

NJMA New Jersey Martial Arts in Maple Shade, New Jersey

Choice Martial Arts CHOICE MARTIAL ARTS / Home Page

Daddis Fight Camps Daddis Fight Camps - MMA, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and More

Brachs BJJ/ Team Balance MMA Brach's MMA - Services

Mission MMA Mission MMA - South Jersey MMA Gym specializing in Muay Thai & Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Any first hand experience (including cost) with these gyms or others in the area would be greatly appreciated.!!!

Combat Athlete Mixed Martial Arts

the head instructor Paul used to be my sensei at Matt Serra's academy (black belt under matt and nicky). When i say this guy is amazing, i mean it. he really breaks everything down to a level where everything seems almost obvious. Jonesly, the MT instructor, is a great guy too! honestly just stop by and check it out. it looks like it's pretty close to your area. you will not be disappointed

if you want PM me for any questions!

I trained at Daddis in Cherry Hill for a while. They are a really good place to train. The instructors are really good guys, and Brad was awesome. Pricing was like $100-$150 depending on your contract length and what you want to train. Something in that area.

Thank you for all the feed back. Unfortunately Combat is in North Jersey above Manhattan which is 2 hours away and Pelligrinos is in Belmawr on the shoreline and still North, about 90 minutes away. 3 to 4 hours round trip to train on a regular basis won't work in the long run.

I am much closer to Phila, about 45 minutes away and 2 1/2 hours from NY. I live in the 08053 zip code in Southern NJ.

Daddis is very close in Cherry Hill and is one of the places I intend to check out. I would much rather get some good references then have to go and try to figure out if a school is good on my own with little BJJ experience.

Pricing also helps. $100 - $150 would be a good range with $200 being the max. Depends on how many classes I allowed to attend and how many are give, etc..

Anyone else with first hand experience with BJJ / MMA grappling schools in the Southern NJ area that can give a good reference and some pricing info your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
A friend of mine's trains at Kurt Pellegrino's, his name is David Perez. This guy is incredibly good, a Renzo Gracie black belt and a Judo black belt, top notch instruction from him. I've had the honor of training with him, there's just no better choice.

A friend of mine's trains at Kurt Pellegrino's, his name is David Perez. This guy is incredibly good, a Renzo Gracie black belt and a Judo black belt, top notch instruction from him. I've had the honor of training with him, there's just no better choice.

Thanks for the input, but as stated above, Pelliginos is a 2.5 hour round trip. If you want to work out a few hours several times a week that distance becomes a deal killer.

I trained briefly at NJMA. My impression was that it was a TOP notch school. (though I didn't get a chance to really make the most of it during the time I was a member.)

They had 3 black belts instructing while I was a member. Rick MaCauley is an absolute top rate grappler who has competed in ADCC. The owner of the school is Marco Perazzo(SP?) Marco is self-admittedly an average level athlete who had to work really hard to get his black belt. Everyone on these forums loves the top level competitors and pheanoms, but I think many can learn the most from an instructor like this. The other black belt was Tim Carpenter, who fought professionally in AC mma shows.

Overall, its hard to ask for a better mix of styles and quality instruction. I have heard the Rick started his own school. (and may be even closer to you) They had MMA classes 3 times a week and did 2 weeks GI, 2 weeks NoGi. Price was $180 a month. A little pricey, but a great school.

Great feedback and good details. Thanks for that help!! Anyone else have experience with SJ schools?

Rick McCauley (NJMA) is a high level black belt and also one of the nicest guys you'll meet. I've rolled with him a few times and was surprised my body could bend in such unusual ways. I've heard really good things about his school but I'm not sure what the price is.

Two other places are Hassett's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Nextgen Mixed Martial Arts. If you're in Cherry Hill they might be far for you, especially going down 295 at rush hour, but Hasset's is in Sewell while NextGen is in West Deptford. A friend of mine goes to NextGen and I believe it's around 140ish a month but I'm not certain. They also seem to have a lot of classes and open mat time. I'm not sure about Hassett's prices.

Hassett's and Nexgen are both about 40 minutes from my place so they will be on my list to check out. Thank you!

Does anyone else have a recommendation or pricing info?

The head instructor at NextGen is under Rick McCauley (you can see on the webpage). My friend pays 140 and they have something going on everyday, although you have to be invited to the MMA classes. I'd definitely check it out if I lived down there. Sewell may be a little further for you since it's down on Delsea drive. Not sure but you may save yourself ten or fifteen minutes if you're coming from Cherry Hill. I've also heard really good things about Daddis as well. If you're in Cherry Hill or nearby I'm guessing NJMA is the closest for you.

I used to live in Deptford in case you're wondering...I don't have a fascination with google mapping South Jersey.

Good feedback from everyone, thank you!

I drove to NJMA in Maple Shade, Daddis in Cherry Hill, and Brachs (Team Balance)in Voorhees. The last two are the closest, but NJMA is doable. Going to call to set up a time to watch a class and talk to some people at various places tomorrow.

Appreciate all the help. Any additional info still welcome.

Kurt Pelligrinos, is that belmar by the beach or the other belmar in southwest jerz? Might be moving back in a year or so if my wife finds a job in that area.

Back