Need diet advice

King Coconut

White Belt
Reaction score
Alright guys I been on Sherdog for a while and well i see alot of you guys got some great knowledge on this whole eating right thing, so I need some advice. Im a fighter and well I weigh 258, Im 6'2", and well Im not fat, like I dont have a beer belly or anything Im just big, but I know I can lose weight, I just want to be quicker. I do cardio like a mad man, I workout like 6 days a week, weights, cardio, swimming, but I dont seem to lose weight, and I know why it is, my diet is shit, I cheat alot, I just can't seem to stick to it but it usually happens cause I get discouraged from not seeing results you know. I wanna drop to 225 thats my goal. What kind of diet should I be doing, and another thing how big do portions have to be? I eat six meals a day but sometimes I wonder if my portion size is to big. Should I replace some meals with Protein shakes or MRP's, which is better. I don't eat alot of carbs and when I do its all whole grain stuff, wheaties, whole wheat bread, oatmeal. I have this alklaine green shake but I stopped taking it, is that stuff good too, cause I have heard some epople say it helps them with their metabolism. Anyway some advice would be appreciated. Peace.

You don't need to replace your meals necessarily. But you DO have to stop cheating so much. It sounds like your only problem is inconsistency. You'd be surprised how much some organization might help out. Your eating should be every bit as organized as your training if not moreso, because without proper eating your training = diddly-fuck.

Track your calories man. Your burning rate has to be greater than the rate at which you intake, and what you intake cannot be the kind of calories that has more of a tendency to be stored as bodyfat. In other words, shit food. Some people believe a calorie is a calorie, I don't think so because there IS a such thing as empty calories that don't do much for achieving a specific goal, otherwise there would be no need to eat clean to maintain either a weight goal, or a muscularity goal.

What's your typical meal consist of including portions?
Also what do your cheatings consist of and what are their portions, be honest too don't cheat on this as well.

Tell us more and maybe we can better help.

Man well my meals usually consist of well like for breakfast ill have a bowl of wheaties with some 1% milk and a yogurt or something, then for snacks I usually have a handfull of almonds, cashews, or pistachios (basically any kind of nuts) lunch (well dude Im latin) so it usually consists of rice and beans and some grilled chicken and its like a bowl and a whole chicken breast, then I workout and after that Ill have like a protein shake, then for dinner Ill have like a sandwhich, sometimes i have like peanut butter on wheat, or turkey on wheat, and for a snack I have like another bowl of wheaties. I ahd a friend that told me portion size should be about the size of my palm or something, but Im a big dude, and my palm is pretty big, so I probably ball park that figure wrong. And shit Im a sucker for soft baked Chocolate Chip cookies man, so when I cheat its that shit and junk food, but my problem is I work at a corporate office and we have office parties all the time, and I mean there is cake, baked ziti, ice cream, so when I cheat im like alright just today, but that one day in the week sets me back like two weeks I swear. So yeah Im being honest here, when I cheat I cheat. Like King Kabuki said my problem is inconsistency, sometimes I drop a good amount of weight when I am training for a fight but then I guess I get happy and shit and boom I cheat. I think I eat compulsively too, so I dont know if thats a psychological issue or what, who knows, but anyway thats my deal.

You just gotta commit to staying in top condition. I think you know how to do it, it's just a matter of doing it and not slacking.

I bet if you just cut out the junk you'd start dropping the pounds. The rest has room for improvement, but the junk food alone would do it. My office has parties all the time and I always say no. It's become a running joke for them for the past 2 years. It sucks too because I love that $hit. But while they pig out on cake, I'm reaching my goals and being who I want to be. It's about setting your priorities and being disciplined.

Take a look at your coworkers (if they are anything like mine, those donuts and cakes are showing) and then take a look at the fighters you look up to. Who do you want to emulate. If cookies mean more to you, then so be it, no one can judge you for making that decision.

thanks LeeJolly, you are right about my office, I do see it showing in my co-workers. And they know Im a fighter, cause I always talk about eating right, MMA, and the whole lot, so I feel like a damn hypocrite when Im hoovering a bowl of Baked Ziti and Garlic Bread at the office party. I guess I have to learn to say no more too you know, and sometimes I just gotta learn to avoid the temptation all together. On my fight team most of the guys are in shape, Im pretty built cause I used to be real into bodybuilding, but now I want to drop all that extra bulk cause I know I would be faster and have good strength, I mean all the fighters on my team are like "Dude, you would be so diesel at 225" so the motivation is there, but like you guys said I have to put my mind to it, I mean props to you LeeJolly to be able to say no to all that office party grub, Ill start taking all that junk food out of my diet. I could be honest in my meal log, cause I just dont write the shit down.

King Coconut, I hate to be rude, but we're not your personal dieticians. A complaint I have in this subforum is that too many white belts come in asking us to organize their entire diets.

If you have a specific question, cool. If not, read a book.

if you have a problem, act on it. dont sit there and complain like you cant do anything about it

King Coconut, I hate to be rude, but we're not your personal dieticians. A complaint I have in this subforum is that too many white belts come in asking us to organize their entire diets.

Actually, if you read the tagline under the Heading of the Forum that would be considered the description of the Forum it suggests coming in here to get advice on eating. He's not outside the scope of ideas as to what can and should be shared in here. If you don't want to take part in it, don't answer.

Madmick said:

My complaint is too many non-whitebelts try to act billy bad ass when a fellow board member has a question. It wasnt a repeat of a question asked a million times and it aint in the wrong forum so either help the brother out or go rack up your post somewhere else.

KC, for starters I would say try and always eat around the same time every 2.5 to 3 hours. Even out your portions as far as carb/protein. For breakfast I would throw in some egg whites with some oatmeal that's my usual breakfast. 6 eggwhites 1-2 yolk 1 serving of oatmeal.

Snacks? forget about them get usto just eating at your set times this will help your temptations if your usto always snacking when your hungry you will tend to eat alot more, try to hold off until your next meal it sonly 2.5 to 3 hours.

Lunch, yeah I'm Puerto Rican and a while back I had to say no to the rice especially the white rice, switch to brown and make sure you aint consuming a whole lot. If you are try to cut down on it and maybe throw in an extra chicken breast if you find yourself still hungry.

For dinner I would have something different you want to cut down on your carbs towards the end of the day. You could be consuming the right amount of carbs to cut weight but if your eating them towards the end of the day that's no good. Try to eat most of your carbs in the morning meals. Peanut butter? that would be no no to me I always think of PB as a bulking food I would stay away from it for the most part or eat it in the mornings. Depending on the type of bread your eating you are consuming around 40g of carbs for dinner and then atleast another 20 with your last bowl of wheaties. You aint gonna be doing much but relaxing and going to sleep so cut the night carbs drastically.

Ok as far as the office lunches and shit, I know these aint being done everyday so I say endulge in them but do not go overboard. If your eating your meals at a set time just eat whatever they bring when you normally would eat your meal. Try to get enough protein in there though and try to ease up on the carbs like the ziti. Also if they bring some delicious treats like cake go for it but just have yourself one portion and if so I would cut out the equivalent amount of carbs from a later meal that way you didn't change the amount of carb intake, you just changed when you ate them.

Lastly cheating isn't bad its actually a good thing to throw a curveball at your body but that being said keep it to 1 day a week or every other week and don't go overboard just cause you know your allowed to eat, been there done that.

I aint no dietician I aint no expert but I have done some competition and I have been fat a couple times in my life and I have dieted the wrong way the right way and even went as far as fasting at times just to cut weight. Hope this all make sense im at work and trying to type real fast before I get caught not doing my work =)

Peace and good luck

-E

thanks E C Monee, yeah some of the stuff you said made me think "shit I knew something was up". Yeah I also think my biggest down fall has been the carbs and just overindulging on the cheat meals. Thing is most of the stuff I know, but your post confirmed the fact that eventhough Im eating good carbs with whole wheat and wheaties, Im still eatiing to many, and eating to many at night.

Mad Mick:
Im not clueless to dieting, I come on here because you guys are fighters and you been where I am coming from. You guys most of the time have similar lives, similar training schedules, similar goals. Plus the forum is labeled the Diet/Supplement discussion, its not like I posted this shit in the MMA forum or War Room. Another thing, some of you guys act like these cyber belts are a badge of honor or something, is being on Sherdog and attaining your next belt your only goal in life? When you get that belt are you immediately better than anyone who just recently started posting? The answer is no, you just have a hell of alot more free time then some of us, and I dont know if thats good or bad. Look man Im not going to insult you or be rude its just that the whole "whitebelt" shit bothers me, dude who cares about the belt color you have, do you think you are going to ge more respect from the world saying you are a blue belt on some internet forum?

Anyway bottomline I used to do bodybuilding and powerlifting, so i put on bulk quick, so Im used to that sort of diet. Losing and cutting weight is a new deal for me, I always fight heavyweight, I want to gradually lose the weight and go down to light heavyweight so thanks for the motivation guys and the insight Im going to start sorting myself out and doing this

Alright, I'll back off everyone. My apologies.

Kabuki has the final word, in here, anyway, and he said Coconut was within the scope of the forum. So I was mistaken, that's all.

Wild Dan Hibiki said:
if you have a problem, act on it. dont sit there and complain like you cant do anything about it

For future reference Dan, how else would I have acted on it than to post? You think I should have PM'd Kabuki or something?

King Coconut said:
Mad Mick:
Im not clueless to dieting, I come on here because you guys are fighters and you been where I am coming from. You guys most of the time have similar lives, similar training schedules, similar goals. Plus the forum is labeled the Diet/Supplement discussion, its not like I posted this shit in the MMA forum or War Room. Another thing, some of you guys act like these cyber belts are a badge of honor or something, is being on Sherdog and attaining your next belt your only goal in life? When you get that belt are you immediately better than anyone who just recently started posting? The answer is no, you just have a hell of alot more free time then some of us, and I dont know if thats good or bad. Look man Im not going to insult you or be rude its just that the whole "whitebelt" shit bothers me, dude who cares about the belt color you have, do you think you are going to ge more respect from the world saying you are a blue belt on some internet forum?

You're right, the belt is just a cyber belt, and means almost nothing, but just stick around a couple of weeks and you'll REALLY start to feel me on the white belt thing. There's a reason that's thrown around so much in this forum (it hasn't been like that in any other forum I've experienced).

Anyway, this is my fourth post in your thread off-topic, so I'm gonna jump off.

Sorry, bro, peace.

King Kabuki whats up with all the patronizing remarks? Especially telling madmick to appologize to the MMA Coach that was wacked and then closing that thread with your own remarks, you should of just closed it out, but it was all good, because Madmick owned the coach so badly before he got banned lol. Even if the poster (king coconut is wrong), you seem to have a smart alex remark, telling him to "if you don't like it, then dont respond". Your not a dictator, just a mod. Let people have a little leverage when they post even if he is wrong by your standards.

King Kabuki whats up with all the patronizing remarks? Especially telling madmick to appologize to the MMA Coach that was wacked and then closing that thread with your own remarks, you should of just closed it out, but it was all good, because Madmick owned the coach so badly before he got banned lol. Even if the poster (king coconut is wrong), you seem to have a smart alex remark, telling him to "if you don't like it, then dont respond". Your not a dictator, just a mod. Let people have a little leverage when they post even if he is wrong by your standards.

First of all, something like this can be PM'ed, there's no need to attempt to repromand me in Public, or didn't you understand that from the whole Coach D thread to begin with?

Second, King Coconut isn't wrong. This Forum is if anything else, to give dieting advice. True a person doesn't have to just say "Hey guys, tell me how to eat"...but it is to exchange information and ideas on how to properly intake food.

Third, "if you don't like it, don't respond"...isn't a smart-aleck remark...it's how I feel. You'll see there's plenty of threads in here I don't respond to because either I don't have anything to offer, or I don't care for the subject material. But there's nothing against the rules about these threads so I can't justifiably delete them either.

Fourth, do not compare me to a dictator, when I haven't even reported you on all of the insulting shit you've said in these threads. I can handle disagreement, were I such a dictator, the other Mods would have long been aware of many people's actions in here. No one aside from Coach has been banned yet because I choose to handle things before resorting to that. If you don't like that then there's higher-ups you can complain to.

And lastly, you apparently didn't read the WHOLE post. What I said to Mick was that if he VERIFIED through the E-MAILS to Staci that Coach was INDEED TRUTHFUL, then he COULD apologize if he FELT he needed to. And if it turned out the OPPOSITE, then to just IGNORE Coach in the forums and not to take into account what he says because there is NO NEED to continually pollute this place with insults.

I closed the thread because it started to get to the point where other people who had nothing to do with the situation kept chiming in to offer their perspective on an issue between two users that should have been handled privately to begin with and just perpetuating the negativity. That thread in and of itself shouldn't have been allowed in here, but I let it slide so that Mick and Coach could get some of that shit off their chests. So how is that for letting people have a little leverage? Not to mention letting your questioning of me only result in me responding. Some Mods are way more strict even than that, as no Mod has to justify their actions.

I was entrusted with a job here, I do it strict but fair. I'm always open to PM and even explained to Mick in Private what I did, and anyone with eyes can see what the end result was of that whole situation anyway. I don't care who has what opinion of me. I know I do my job well. Thanks.

Yeah, whoa, I appreciate the words on my behalf, Crazy, but Kabuki's been more than lenient since he became a mod. Besides, he laid out the law of our site, and I was in the wrong on this one. It just frustrates me when new guys come in and ask such huge questions because I don't see how they could possibly be answered thoroughly in the length of a post; it requires a book for some questions, like, "Hey, how do I eat?" But I was in the wrong and Coconut deserved an apology. It's no big deal, being wrong, I ain't perfect- I've just got my ticks like everyone else.

Coach D is banned now, so it's not an issue anymore. It's hardly fair to kick someone who can't kick back. But he's a monkey off my back, and for the most part, I feel, a monkey off everyone's back in here. I felt his attitude and tone sabotaged the goal that Kabuki himself has stated as a goal for this subforum, that was my biggest beef with the guy. And, not surprisingly, because of it, he's gone.

Let's move on.

Back