Need Advice, and Critism on my technique

Two main points I'd make.

1. More jabs. You can never practice your jab enough and a real stiff jab can catch so many people off guard.

2. Keep your hands up. Hands up, chin tucked.

You've got some nice hooks there dude. There were a few wicked body hooks in the second video that I particularly liked.

And I agree with the dude above, you don't look 245. I'm 215 and look way fatter than you!

Where did you put the last 40lbs? You look a lot slimmer than 245 :)

I have pretty big thighs and legs, the black shorts are hiding it. If I were wearing vale tudo shorts you could see. Less about my weight and more about my TECHNIQUE LOL Im going back to a gym at the end of the month and I want to look crisp and fluent

looks good! just work on getting your feet there before you start punching, or else you start leaning and reaching....... or walking down the bag. The issue with a heavy bag is that it will let you get away with lazy footwork, cause you dont miss and always have the bag to stabilize you after a shot. In a ring, you walk forward with lazy footwork and reach, you will be flinging yourself all over the damn place. You got the power, you don't have to try so hard, shorten it up, get the feet moving and stay balanced so that even if you missed one of those shots you could quickly recover. Nice work brotha, keep it up!

Hey man! You really don't look that heavy, lol.

To your technique. I will watch the video and take notes, below this :

- Your hooks look very powerful, but your technical execution of them lacks a LOT of hip-movement into them. You move your upper body, shoulders and arms, but try to pivot the feet and get your hips into them as well.

- Like some guy above me stated, you start reaching from time to time, especially when you punch combinations that include more then 2 punches at once. Most of your third punches are reaching. You can avoid this by proper footwork.

- Oh my god man, at 0:54 of the first vid, i am sure this is NOT how you were teached in the gym to avoid and then counter a hook! Bending over like that leaves you open for uppercuts big time. Bend your knees and go down, but stay upright with your upper body. If you want to follow this motion up with a hook, then you can bend and go low and already twist your body in preparation for your counter hook, and remember, pivot your feet as well. Then it will look a bit better.

- Ok, cool, i like your jab! But try to get a bit more of your body into it! Step, hip, shoulder, arm, fist! They need more snap.

- Keep your opposite hand up, and your chin down when you throw combos, too.

- Damn. I wouldn't want to be on the ropes in a corner with you. You have power.

- ALWAYS bring your hand back to your guard when you have punched, no exceptions! Try to keep that in mind while you are making angles.

- I know this probably isn't easy, but try not to begin one punch when you don't even have connected with the one that comes before it, it takes power away from your motions!

Cool, i like your second video A LOT more. Way better. Maybe you should always start this slow and concentrated and then you should add power step by step, then speed and after speed more complicated combinations and making angles.

- 1:26, don't turn your back to the bag. Um. That didn't come out right. I mean, it doesn't hit back of course, but in another environment, some d-bags hit back.

- Again man, don't begin a punch when you didn't end the other one properly.

- Also, STAND WIDER. You need that balance.

- Please spend some time on footwork only, i really think this will increase your bag work as well. Maybe your trainer or some sparring partner can help you with specifics on this one.

All in all, i think you have enormous power, but with good technique behind it, it will be even better.

Keep up your work! =)

great stuff guys, keep it comming. gotta know what im doing wrong by alot of opinions in order to correct it.

It's all arm punches. Get a trainer than can teach you a fundamentally sound way to deliver punches.

It's all arm punches. Get a trainer than can teach you a fundamentally sound way to deliver punches.

Thanks for the critism, but I have to dissagree. I throw my upper body into it well, but my hips and foot pivots are deffently lacking as mentioned above. Arms punches you just throw with you arms no torso or hand rotation over to complete the power. Thanks though

you seem to be looking at the floor a lot. Keep your eyes on the target (by that i mean where you would be looking if the bag was a person, not where you are going to punch) and dont look away or at the floor.
And when you weave at 0:54 in video 1 you bend right down and once again look at the floor. Use your legs more and keep your eyes on the target.
You drop your hands a lot, especially your lead hand.

Last edited:

were you watching the same video as the rest of us? they certainly were not arm punches! But he does have a tendency to get his punch out in front of his body/hips vs. using that core to drive it through, but I think it is a real stretch to say he is arm punching....... common now! And fundamentally, his mechanics are decent, need improvement...... but who doesn't? Theres always room to improve.

i think leatherjacket pretty much nailed it with the foot pivot so ur hips drive more power for your punches.. other than that u bend forward a lot when you change levels try using those big strong legs (no homo) and change levels like that so you keep ur balance and still have pure focus of your opponent. i would just listen to leatherjacket he really broke down the videos and i dont see anything he missed.. keep it up though looks good.

Solid bag work. The only thing I saw that has not really been mentioned, maybe because the video was so much better than alot of folks shove out there, is you are tending to let you hands ride really low when you come back guard. Second video you were much better about about it that the first one. but in both every time you started to speed up the combos, you started to return your hands _below_ your shoulders, instead of covering the chin.

Back