• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Need a new Gi. Recommendations?

B

Bmonk**

Guest
Alright guys, here's the situation.

I'm a Judo guy, and I've had my Fuji Gi for about 2 years.

I recently took about 2 months off from training, and when I put my Gi on today I noticed that it has shrunk. The sleeves are about 3-4 inches above my wrist.

I am planning on joining a BJJ academy in about a week, so I need a good Gi that I can use for both Judo and BJJ. Also, I am not willing to go over $150.

Any suggestions?

Btw, I am 5'8'' and 155 pounds.
 
if i was you, id get a bjj gi for doing both rather than a judo gi. the cut of the gi will be a better advantage. for doing something tough on a gi like judo, stick with some high quality names and makes. perhaps a company that is famous for judo and bjj gis like mizuno? they are pricey, but are well known and should be of high quality. a solid HCK could also serve you well.
 
What made it shrink so much?

I don't understand why a gi you had for two years would suddenly shrink that much on its own. Did it get mad at you for not using it for two months?
 
Balto said:
What made it shrink so much?

I don't understand why a gi you had for two years would suddenly shrink that much on its own. Did it get mad at you for not using it for two months?

It wasn't really sudden. It probably gradually shrunk, but I never really noticed.
 
Bmonk said:
It wasn't really sudden. It probably gradually shrunk, but I never really noticed.

You could have gradually gotten a little bigger during your time off. Don't blame the poor gi.
 
Why not spend a fraction more and get a Mizuno Eurocomp?
http://www.kodokangear.com/ko-mizuno.html

Kodokangear (speak to Vinh) is a reliable supplier. If your main focus is Judo, personally I'd stick with a Judogi and just accept it wont be as tight as a BJJ gi will be. You dont notice THAT much difference the occasional time you roll.

I'm 5'9 and 165lbs and a size 4 suits me. They seem enourmous but do shrink down after a while. I'm not sure if a 3.5 will be OK for you. Speak to Vinh or post at JudoForum.
 
I'd take Judogido's advice. You can fight in BJJ with a Judo gi, but you cannot fight in Judo with a BJJ gi (they do not meet size regulations).

Eurocomps are terrific gis; they dont shrink a whole lot, and they are very durable and moldable. The collars are tough and difficult to grip (and conform to IJF standards).

If you are in Ottawa, order it from Hatashita (http://ca.hatashita.com/). They are an awesome company, and the owner is a great guy. Quality is never an issue. They are the major Mizuno supplier in Canada (and I believe North America).

My brother is pretty much the same size as you and he wears a 3.5.
 
I just ordered two Ouano's (blue and white) from SSF. I can post some pics when I get them if you'd like.
 
I use a Koral BJJ gi in both Judo & BJJ. The jacket is a little shorter than my old judo gi & its more form-fitting, but it still meets judo regulations. It fits like a glove, i love it. A lot of judo guys wear huge gi jackets that fit almost like a dress, that is overkill IMO. & you'll get crushed in BJJ if they have that much material to work with.
 
My Atama is a great gi I think. I also have a Vitamins and Minerals one which is good also. BJJ is what I take.
 
Talk to Ron at SSFgear.com has most available gi brands and will give you an honest opinion..

also Korals are good preshrunk run big , but the sizes aren' uniform jiujitsuprogear.com
 
If you are a Judo guy that will be doing some submission's, I would definately check out the warrior-one gi. I should have a review of this gi up tonite (late). I'm way behind on this review due to work as well as the forum server being down a couple times. It's coming Kevin, I promise. (shoot me a quote on the thing we discussed) I just ordered $600 worth of stuff today but I could still use one of those.
 
Resident A-hole said:
I use a Koral BJJ gi in both Judo & BJJ. The jacket is a little shorter than my old judo gi & its more form-fitting, but it still meets judo regulations. It fits like a glove, i love it. A lot of judo guys wear huge gi jackets that fit almost like a dress, that is overkill IMO. & you'll get crushed in BJJ if they have that much material to work with.

You and Mario Reis have something in common.
 
jamison said:
(shoot me a quote on the thing we discussed) I just ordered $600 worth of stuff today but I could still use one of those.

Jamison: I'm not sure what you want the quote on, so shoot me another e-mail when you get a chance.

By the way, starting today we are having a gi sale: Black or Blue Double weave = $89.99 White = $79.99. You can see them at www.warrior-one.com


Keven
 
Back
Top