Need a Gi/Gi shrinkage question (A2 or A3?)

jackstraw424

White Belt
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all, Im looking for a Gi for BJJ (never done it before but Im looking for a quality Gi from a trusted company that'll hold up under normal wear & tear).

Im 5'11" 160 lbs and as far as tshirts go, a mediums always too big while a smalls sometimes too small, seems like this bad lucks followed me to Gi sizes too.

From the looks of things A3s look too big and A2s would be perfect if they didnt shrink so I was wondering how much do they shrink being 100% cotton? Id like to try one on first but I dont know where theyd be sold around me so Im left to buy off the internet (also any recomended sites shipped to Canada?).

I was also wondering about colors of Gis, I prefer the blue to the white but is that cool to walk into a BJJ gym wearing a blue Gi or are they typically reserved for instructors/higher belt levels? And as far as belts are concerned, do I have to buy a white belt before I go to a club, do they provide one or have them there to buy?

Thanks guys!

This is tough. I have read a lot on here that Lucky makes Gis for slender guys.

Don't get stuck on the sizing. A2 in brand-A may be the same size as an A3 in Brand-B.

Look around and do a search on here. I seem to remember a few threads/post about guys with your same body type.

I am 5'10.5" and 170, and I seem to be at the top end of a non-washed sizing and the bottom of the next size up.(if that makes sense).

The alternative is to find a tailor or an industrial sewer that can take in, and adjust your Gi for you once you get it.

shoyoroll makes an A3S (S stands for slim) that'd probably be perfect for you. those can be hard to get tho (preorders start sept 10 -- search this forum for shoyoroll and you'll find all the info you need). fushida.ca may be an even better bet. less pricey, high quality, clean, sharp gi and they offer sizing for tall skinnly guys as well. shoot christo an email thru his website and he'll hook you up. seriously good custoer service.

good luck!

Ill sell you mine for A3 Fuji for 40 bucks!

Only used it about 7 times and washed after every session.

bro man doesent have a job anymore and is going into the Air Force :(

l_Fuji%20BJJ%20Kimono%20-%20Single%20Weave%20-%20blue.jpg

Ill sell you mine for A3 Fuji for 40 bucks!

Only used it about 7 times and washed after every session.

bro man doesent have a job anymore and is going into the Air Force :(

l_Fuji%20BJJ%20Kimono%20-%20Single%20Weave%20-%20blue.jpg

A Fuji A3 will be way to small for this guy. I had one and just sold it, it shrunk way too much and that was following their washing directions.

ps i am 5'10.5" ~ 175lbs

A Fuji A3 will be way to small for this guy. I had one and just sold it, it shrunk way too much and that was following their washing directions.

ps i am 5'10.5" ~ 175lbs

im 6' 190 and it fits great.

How did you sell your Gi? Craigslist? someone you knew?

im 6' 190 and it fits great.

How did you sell your Gi? Craigslist? someone you knew?

I sold it to a new white belt at our gym. I would have tried craigslist eventually. There are only a few on there at any given time.

Your sleeves have not shrunk at all? The body fit me perfectly, nice and tight, but the sleeves were a solid 3 inches past my wrist/hand. After a roll or two, it would almost be acceptable but definitely could not wear for any competitions.

Last edited:
thanks guys, Ill definatly have to get in touch with shoyoroll and see if thatll work out for me.

As for the Fuji, the price is definatly right but im just worried how its gunna fit me at 5'11" 160 if it fits you well at 6' 190. Ill try to be in touch one way or the other, dont bother waiting for me if you find a buyer though.

How much shrinkage can I expect when buying a Gi? Im really worried about this since theyre expensive and moneys kinda tight. Does it shirnk a little everytime you wash it? (easy to tell I dont do my own laundry eh, haha I have no idea about this stuff).

im looking for a gi. im 511 and 150 pounds though. kind of the same build as the diaz bros, long and slim. what would be a good brand to look at? im just worried ill get and a3 and it will the right length but far too wide.

They say the keiko raca gi's are for those slim lanky players look into them.

Back