Necroscope Book Series

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
Has anyone read the Necroscope Anthology? (or some of it).

I was looking for a good horror book (just finished Mongrels - really great book if you are into wearwolves), and Good Reads is suggesting the Necroscope series. There are apparently 18+ books in the series dating back to the early 80s and all have pretty good reviews. However, when reading the description, it seemed a bit "out there" - secret government agency of psychics who can read the minds of the dead, and a vampire that wants to take over the world.

Is it worth picking up the first book to see how it goes?

I remember finding the first book in the Dark Tower series to be kind of slow, but it ended up being my favorite book anthology by far.

Has anyone read the Necroscope Anthology? (or some of it).

I was looking for a good horror book (just finished Mongrels - really great book if you are into wearwolves), and Good Reads is suggesting the Necroscope series. There are apparently 18+ books in the series dating back to the early 80s and all have pretty good reviews. However, when reading the description, it seemed a bit "out there" - secret government agency of psychics who can read the minds of the dead, and a vampire that wants to take over the world.

Is it worth picking up the first book to see how it goes?

I remember finding the first book in the Dark Tower series to be kind of slow, but it ended up being my favorite book anthology by far.
I read the first 4 books I think? Maybe 5 it's been quite a few years.... The first two or three were really enjoyable and then it seemed to get pretty repetitive and monotonous... But definitely give the first two a shot.

Great series. My favorite vampire lore in fiction. Gets a bit samey, with Lumley's love of using flashbacks, but read the whole thing. Ghosts and gadgets, man.

18 books? I read them years ago and don't remember that many. There were originally 5 in the Necroscope series and then 3 in the Vampire world series. Then he went back and added one or two more onto the middle of the Necroscope series. I really enjoyed them all. But didn't read any more than those 9 or 10 books.

I remember finding the Necroscope book ages a go. I thought the book was cool but I only read half of it and ending up losing the book, and never picked it up again.

I remember finding the Necroscope book ages a go. I thought the book was cool but I only read half of it and ending up losing the book, and never picked it up again.
You should try again. It actually holds up fairly well.

Yo.

I remember reading the first two and really liking them. I started straight away on the third and tapped out early, but might just be that I needed a change at the time.

I know folks that ended up reading the spin offs as well and really rated them.

Yo.

I remember reading the first two and really liking them. I started straight away on the third and tapped out early, but might just be that I needed a change at the time.

I know folks that ended up reading the spin offs as well and really rated them.
The third book is where they get to the origin of the Wamphyri.... You dropped out before the reveal of what makes them so interesting. Or at least a huge part of why they are interesting. It really is an original concept for the vampire. Sorry... Just a huge fanboy of the series.

Fully recommend Clive Barker books. The Books of Blood, if you want a short story anthology, or pick up one of his novels. Creepy and weird shit, and some really cool ideas.

The third book is where they get to the origin of the Wamphyri.... You dropped out before the reveal of what makes them so interesting. Or at least a huge part of why they are interesting. It really is an original concept for the vampire. Sorry... Just a huge fanboy of the series.

Agreed, the third book is really good and sets up Vampire World. The amount of crappy books out there, there is no reason why anybody shouldn't read this series and Vampire world. They are well written, interesting theme and good pacing.

Read the first 5. Books are awesome, especially the first 3.

Morgan Freemans production company bought the rights and there was talks of a tv show. But unfortunately no news on that front for a few years now.

Back