News NCAA Division 1 champion and only man to beat Gable Steveson, Anthony Cassar, signs with Fury FC

Will Anthony Cassar make it to the UFC?

• Total voters
I mean striking has typically dominated the higher weight classes for a long time. No one wants to shoot a double leg on a guy with donkey kong hammer fist.
Yeah, HW is the perfect example of that, the vast majority of wrestlers, regardless of how decorated, don't make the transition to elite MMA fighter. Tyrell Fortune, Calyn Hull, Rosholt, even Petersen got finished by Waldo.

Chin aside, I think part of the issue is how exhausting wrestling can be, which when couple with a lack of fundamentals on the feet, makes them sitting ducks.

As long he can take punch and his striking continues to improve he'll be just fine.

I'm sure we'll see him the UFC in 2025.

Fury FC is known as a big feeder league to the UFC, it’s main job being to create stars on the regional level who’ll sign with the UFC if they do well.

Anthony Cassar is a NCAA Division 1 champion and holds two wins over Olympic wrestling gold medalist Gable Steveson (which are Steveson’s lone two losses).
High level stuff!

Cassar is 1-0 (1 sub.) in MMA and has now signed with Fury FC.
He’s set to make his promotional debut on October 22

He's gonna be a bad dude at light heavyweight. I've really fallen behind on the regional MMA circuits to have missed this.

Yeah, HW is the perfect example of that, the vast majority of wrestlers, regardless of how decorated, don't make the transition to elite MMA fighter. Tyrell Fortune, Calyn Hull, Rosholt, even Petersen got finished by Waldo.

Chin aside, I think part of the issue is how exhausting wrestling can be, which when couple with a lack of fundamentals on the feet, makes them sitting ducks.
As a former college wrestler that has trained MMA for years, I think I agree with this. Plus, cage wrestling is much different than wrestling in the open. Getting a takedown in MMA sparring rounds only to have your partner stand right back up is not only exhausting but also mentally draining. I'm a big dude and I have trouble taking down smaller guys in MMA sparring.

Back