Nate Diaz has become overrated as hell and it plays right into Conor and the UFC's hands

FootstompShonie

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
When the first match-up was announced, everyone rightfully said this was a BS fight and Diaz did not deserve it.
Not only was Diaz on vacation while McGregor had been training for months in various locations, but it was at a time when Nate was only 2-3 in his last 5-fights and barely hanging on to a top-10 ranking after beating Micheal Johnson.

Now all over the media and greater Sherdog area, I see Diaz being hailed as some top-5 fighter who is going to destroy Conor again, this is exactly what the UFC wanted, now what should have been seen as a generally lame-duck opponent for a reigning champion becomes a heroic victory for Conor, with a likely trilogy in the making no less.

But, when you look at the facts Diaz is a mediocre fighter who is basically a perennial gatekeeper, and if Conor really is a championship level fighter he should dispatch him with ease.

Let's look at his last 5 fights before Conor:

W - Micheal Johnson - Coming of a lame loss to Beneil Dariush, but easily his best win of the bunch. Ranked in the top-15.

L - RDA - Absolutely embarrassed Diaz, probably one of the most one-sided fights in history, Diaz also didn't even bother to make weight.

W - Maynard - Coming off a vicious KO loss, in the middle of the downturn of his career, unranked.

L - Josh Thompson - Coming off a loss and Josh's only victory in his UFC stint and he clobbered Diaz, lost 3-straight afterwards and went to Bellator, unranked

L - Ben Henderson - One of the most one-sided title fights in history, Diaz offered no offense and got beatdown for 5-rounds.

In short, Diaz hasn't beaten anyone coming off a victory before Conor since 2012, he's only had one top-15 victory in that time span, and he has lost to guys who did absolutely nothing in the UFC like Thompson.

Yet when Conor goes in and beats him like he should have in the first place, the UFC/Conor and all his fans are going to act like he took down a top-5 world beater. If Conor does lose again I say that speaks more to his legacy as a fighter than it does Nate Diaz and if he gets a title shot he'll be promptly beatdown again by Alvarez, Woodley, or whoever is champion at the time.

Don't buy the narrative, Diaz-Conor is still a lame match-up that reminds me of when Anderson Silva went up and fought gatekeepers at 205, it should be an easy victory.

Last edited:
All the hype for beating a midget. Dude got tooled by Thompson so bad his big bro had to throw in the towel

Everyone knows Diaz at his best is a fringe top 5, he's not a world beater. But that's still more than enough to beat Conor

True story. The Conor fans have turned Diaz into an 8 foot tall robot programmed to enslave humans. Reality is he's a true veteran with great skills and grit, but he's not more than that.

Diaz loses to guys who can bully him around in the clinch, and with takedowns and top control. Thompson was the exception and caught with a massive head kick (something Conor does not have). Diaz is a really bad matchup for Conor. Conor fans would like to believe his striking is way beyond Nates, but Diaz has slick boxing, along with a granite chin. Conor is in for another bad night......

Just a reminder for TS, the RDA fight wasn't for the title

Umm... Diaz is ranked in the top 5 at LW...
The UFC rankings? That's just proving my point, the UFC has hyped up Diaz as a top-5 guy when he's not. How did he jump to top-5 after going 2-3 in his last 5 from a fight that wasn't even at Lightweight? lmao

The UFC rankings? That's just proving my point, the UFC has hyped up Diaz as a top-5 guy when he's not. How did he jump to top-5 after going 2-3 in his last 5 from a fight that wasn't even at Lightweight? lmao
Michael Johnson was ranked #5 when he beat him.

Nate Diaz is a legit lightweight contender, something Conor could never be.

no, no one is saying that nate is a world beater

in fact, one of the things that made this loss so embarassing for connie is that nate is a mid tier fighter, and he got humiliated by him

if connie wins, it still wouldn't be impressive (barring a spetacular round 1 KO or something), because it's still only nate that he would be beating
if he loses again, it's over for him. 0-3 incoming

It isn't all too often we agree but you made some really strong points. As a fan of both fighters I can say without doubt that Nate has become a bit overvalued by beating Conor.

Back