Nate Diaz fined $20,000, Suspended Three Months for Homophobic Slur

May 17, 2013

Yj4NYg5.jpg

Nate Diaz's choice of words on Thursday cost him $20,000 the next day.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced Friday both a fine and a three-month suspension for the fighter, stemming from using a homophobic slur on Twitter against fellow competitor Bryan Caraway.

The suspension would put Diaz on the shelf through Aug. 17. While it is likely not to delay his next scheduled fight, it does mean that during his suspension UFC won't book him for any requested paid personal appearances during the period.

"The language used in his tweet was regrettable, offensive and inconsistent with the values and culture of the organization, and is not tolerable," said the statement by Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC.
They also stated that the money will be donated to charity.

Dana White in 2009 used the same word in an emotional diatribe against a reporter and a story, came under fire for it and immediately apologized. On several occasions, White has expressed the view that he realized it was a big mistake to use that word because of what is symbolizes to gays.

7ggkQKL.png

Diaz's manager, Mike Kogan, on Thursday night, defended his client's use of the word, stating that the Urban

Dictionary said the slur he used meant punk, and was not in reference to homosexuals.

lifetime ban for weird thread side-step necro without modern context posted. Reported to the FBI.

People forget that Jones original record title run was ended over his arrest for hitting that pregnant lady. Not anything fight related. The UFC stripped him for breaking their Athlete Code of Conduct.

The UFC went through this weird limbo where they tried to pretend their Athlete Code of Conduct actually meant anything.

I'm surprised given all that UFC guys say.

Whenever I read the word "slur" I hear it as "thlur" in my mind.

I'm on Team Diaz here. He's right. What he said (f@g / f@gg0t) means punk to me too.

You can be straight as an arrow and still be a f@g. It's one of the greatest swearing words in the English language and I will not have it cancelled just because it got hijacked by some homophobes.

lifetime ban for weird thread side-step necro without modern context posted. Reported to the FBI.
It's very easy to see the modern context.

Oh how things have changed since 2013.

Just be a MAGA idiot and you can say what you want.

They're established now and have tenure, essentially.

Nothing they do will make people not watch them.

Being edgy helps the marketing more than anything, especially In an overly PC world.

People are looking for reprieve from the circus of it all. Then you see the UFC / Dana not giving af. Same reason Dana started doing business with Nelk.

Glad they stopped fining people for words

I thought it was "silence is violence" - it would be nice if they made up their fucking minds, lol.

It's both. Whenever it suits, obviously.

I really wish someone would punch these cretins in the face so they could experience first hand the difference between violence and words / silence.

May 17, 2013

Yj4NYg5.jpg

Nate Diaz's choice of words on Thursday cost him $20,000 the next day.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced Friday both a fine and a three-month suspension for the fighter, stemming from using a homophobic slur on Twitter against fellow competitor Bryan Caraway.

The suspension would put Diaz on the shelf through Aug. 17. While it is likely not to delay his next scheduled fight, it does mean that during his suspension UFC won't book him for any requested paid personal appearances during the period.

"The language used in his tweet was regrettable, offensive and inconsistent with the values and culture of the organization, and is not tolerable," said the statement by Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC.
They also stated that the money will be donated to charity.

Dana White in 2009 used the same word in an emotional diatribe against a reporter and a story, came under fire for it and immediately apologized. On several occasions, White has expressed the view that he realized it was a big mistake to use that word because of what is symbolizes to gays.

7ggkQKL.png

Diaz's manager, Mike Kogan, on Thursday night, defended his client's use of the word, stating that the Urban

Dictionary said the slur he used meant punk, and was not in reference to homosexuals.

@Jackonfire fined two years signature a year's Avatar for weird loophole necro

Back