Nasty smell on gi collar

BobSacamano

White Belt
Reaction score
I sweat like a pig. I wash my gi as soon as I get home and hand dry it immediately and my school is only 5 minutes from my house, so it is not like the gi festers in my bag or in the washing machine. But on the collar it has an odd smell, like sweat but not really. Almost like a burnt smell.

A few of my sweatshirts from the gym have the smell also, no matter how much I wash them. Always around the neck.

I load it up with fabric softener, use all kinds of detergents. Still the same thing.

Anyone know what this is? or happened to them before?

I have a green t shirt that has a burnt smell no matter how many times I wash it. Is the Gi colored? I think it might be the dye.

Try baking soda in the wash. It works wonders. You can get it as a laundry detergent booster for like 2 or 3 bucks at the grocery store.

baking soda and let it soak with that soap and hot water then wash it
or
oxyclean and same as above
then dry in dryer with fabric clothes

I sweat like a pig. I wash my gi as soon as I get home and hand dry it immediately and my school is only 5 minutes from my house, so it is not like the gi festers in my bag or in the washing machine. But on the collar it has an odd smell, like sweat but not really. Almost like a burnt smell.

A few of my sweatshirts from the gym have the smell also, no matter how much I wash them. Always around the neck.

I load it up with fabric softener, use all kinds of detergents. Still the same thing.

Anyone know what this is? or happened to them before?

the fear of your opponents has soaked through into your gi.

*thumbs up*

~Foz

vinegar would work too. A friend of mine told me to use that after I spilled a bunch of gas on myself at the pump one day. Got the smell out of my jeans, that 3 washings didnt.

Just stumbled across this thread and wanted to add my .02. I had a similar problem with a rashguard. For some reason, it held on to my funk like nothing else I train in. Soaking it in baking soda and vinegar for a few hours didn't really help. Of all things, PUTTING IT IN THE FREEZER killed the smell.

Now I wash that rashguard immediately after rolling in it and after it hang dries, I toss it in the freezer overnight. It doesn't smell at all now. Hope this helps someone.

B L E A C H !

Bleach your Gi! once a week! wash it every roll! If you wear it out buy a new one!

....I hate guys who dont wash their nastyass gear.. Also try a rubber collar for your next Gi

B L E A C H !

Bleach your Gi! once a week! wash it every roll! If you wear it out buy a new one!

....I hate guys who dont wash their nastyass gear.. Also try a rubber collar for your next Gi

Please, DO NOT listen to this guy. Jesus. Bleach? Really.

Wash it every time yes, bleach, good lord no.

~Foz

Also kills 99.99% of bacteria, so another win!

You mean like 70/30 alcohols?

Or Lysol?

What do you own the company that makes this crap?

Why do you think it's better than either alcohol or lysol - everybody probably has both already laying around?

We need to oder some obscure relabeled crap that's got pages convincing us that it kills everything plain old alcohol does (of which it's ~80%).

Back