NAGA: virginia 9/27/2008

IrishBeatDown****

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
anyone else going? this will be my first grappling meet and i am fairly excited.

i have a questiona bout the NAGA divisions, i wrestled for 4 years in high school but thats only 3 months out of the year... totals like 12 months... with long breaks... and that was 4 years ago...

now i have been doing CSW for about a year... i am pretty good because of my athleticism and i was a pretty good wrestler but never state or national calibur... powerlifting was always my main sport.... anyway what division do you think i would fit into? beginner or intermediate? i'd like to take home some hardware but i don't want to steamroll through a bunch of newbs... now, i know its hard to judge without seeing me work, but generally speaking, given my circumstances what division would you say i would most likely fit best in?

intermediate

yeah thats kinda what i was thinking, i'm just really afraid of paying my 80 bucks and losing 1 minute into my first match... never been to one of these before and i have no idea the calibur of the guys that compete at these things... matter of fact i really hav eno frame of reference between novice and advanced because i train at a small gym with very green grapplers (no one with more than 2 yrs experience, except for the instructors of course)

where in virginia is this held? What weigh class will you be in?

I am in a similar boat to you. I will be fighting in my first BJJ comp next month. The gi side was easy because I am a white belt in BJJ. The no gi side was harder to decide. Beginner stipulated no previous competition experience but also it also 8 month continous grappling experience. I probably could have gotten away with beginner a) because no one would check and b) I have 4 months of bjj and never entered a bjj competition before. However, I wrestled in highschool (more then ten years ago), fought MMA (9 years ago) and competed in Judo (5 years ago). I have some experience. I came to the conclusion that joining the beginner division would only be to win some hardware (as you put it) and boost my ego. I will progress more as a grappler by facing stiffer competiton and that is the only goal I have at his point in my life.

Intermediate.

I have seen a guy who wrestled a year in college and had been doing BJJ for a year enter a beginner division before. Dont be that guy.

I am planing on entering, depending on my money situation. Anybody want to support a starving grappler?

For NAGA:

Adults:
Are you a Novice Grappler (Under 6 months Experience - No wrestlers allowed)
Are you a Beginner (6 months - 2 years experience - No wrestlers allowed)
Are you a Intermediate (2 years - 5 years experience)
Are you a Advanced

If you planned on following the established rules, you would enter Beginner at six months. If you wrestled in high school, have fun with Intermediate.

where in virginia is this held? What weigh class will you be in?

it is in King William and i will be entering the 159.9 class if i can cut the 10 lbs. i will be doing intermediate either way though i am thinking... and getting worked lol.

it is in King William and i will be entering the 159.9 class if i can cut the 10 lbs. i will be doing intermediate either way though i am thinking... and getting worked lol.

i guess if your cutting 10 pounds your weighing in the nigh before? Do you know if you can enter gi and no-gi? Do you have to pay twice as much? I saw on the website that its 80$ if you pre-resiter.

its 80 no matter how many divisions you enter. ill be doing blue belt <139.9 and i think im gonna take a shot at advanced no gi.

Back