My training Is it too little?

tommboy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys first off a little background about me. Im 19, I just recently got into martial arts this past year because well, I thought that UFC sport is just soo cool. First I did San Shou (2 days a week for 2 hours each) for a semester but then recently I have found a BJJ place nearby and have started training there. Here is my training schduele.

BJJ Monday and Friday (2 hour sessions)
Boxing tuesday (2 hour session) They also offer Muay tai but I rather focus on punches so I might go to the boxing club another day but not sure if I have the time/energy

But..... I also seriously workout doing a 4 day split and also doing grip work Sunday,Tuesdays and Thrusdays

My question is, is my experience in boxing and BJJ going to come slow or not at all? Or at a good rate cause Im athletic maybe? I dont want to stop working out because I want to continue to gain strength and weight because that was has allways been my first love. I felt that I learned a good amount about how to punch and kick when I was in San shou allthough I dont know if thats just the first time someone taught me how to.

It depends, are you training to fight professionally? Or are you training for shits and giggles?

Im training to be able to "fight" as in protect people I care about and back up my muscles with even bigger guns haha. I would like to try and fight professionally someday but the money is just soo bad. But I could do it for fun eventually not any time soon though

tommboy said:
Im training to be able to "fight" as in protect people I care about and back up my muscles with even bigger guns haha. I would like to try and fight professionally someday but the money is just soo bad. But I could do it for fun eventually not any time soon though

Then yes, if you want to do those things, you need to train more.

How often does one need to train? Will I progress at all even if slow?

You will progress or course, but if you want to do all those things you said, I would suggest 3 hours a day.

If you wnt to fight for self defense, I'd be the first to say that you'll need more than BJJ

I know this isn't going to be a popular choice if your a student, but get up early & do your workout before you go to class.
That way you can have the best of both worlds.
You will learn plenty just by going a few times a week, although if you want to be a competent fighter you've got to live & breathe it. I truly believe there isn't enough time in the day every day to learn everything you need know about fighting, so don't limit yourself anymore than you have to.

So your lifting 4 days a week, doing 2 sessions of BJJ and 1 session of boxing, correct?

If your still learning I'd personally say thats fine, a bit more would be good after a little bit but theres so much you can learn so quickly (ie its harder at first, then you get into a groove and it becomes easier).
If you can get in sessions for pure technique, then the more the merrier. But as it goes a lot of sessions become cardio orientated more then technique (you can't practise good technique if your dead on your feet), which can be very draining when the weeks mount up which can lead to burn out.

Remember though, your a student for a education. Don't become too serious till your degree or whatever is over with (I made the mistake of getting serious as I was just going into my final year. I passed but not as well as I know I could have done)

edit- Doing 3 hard sparring sessions a week is enough to progress nicely (along with a couple of runs-HIIT if possible). A lot of it is quality over quantity (and if your working or a student, quality is what your after)

you don't have to start off training for the first time every day of the week for 2+ hours a day IMO

you are just starting and i think your schedule is ok, after a couple of months when you get the basics down, and get used to training hard then you could start to add in training more days a week

you're schedule seems pretty good. Trust me, you have the leg up on most martial artists out there. You have standup ability and ground ability. Just train hard and have your goals in mind.

I just want to know that I will be progressing cause that is seriously a hardcore training schduele allready. I mean atleast I personally don't know anyone that has dedication like me but obviously there are tons that do more. I don't own a t.v. and the only time im relaxing is the weekend or when im reading these forums. Im just looking to be able to take out a "street thug" or "street fighter" right now that is my goals a.t.m. Just want to be a strong and skilled guy. I do roll every BJJ class my instructor is great and soon I will be sparring pretty much every class in boxing after we have finished the basics

Maybe you guys are saying it is too little training if I want to go pro in UFC fighting haha if that is the case, I don't need to a.t.m. because I am very young (19)

tommboy said:
Maybe you guys are saying it is too little training if I want to go pro in UFC fighting haha if that is the case, I don't need to a.t.m. because I am very young (19)

I wouldn't agree with that exactly. Doesn't matter how old you are, you should train as much as your body lets you.

Work like a horse, eat like a bear, sleep like a baby, grow like a weed.

I think it's a pretty decent split, I'd add another day boxing if you could once your comfortable doing the workouts and pushing yourself that much. I go to college, train bjj twice a week and do two boxing sessions (actually it's just pad work unfortunately but it's the best I can do at the university plus I already have fairly extensive standup training). I think it's solid like everyone else said to at least you get your base down.

Back