My thoughts on Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine.

Sickplicity

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's a bunch of things I realized last night at the event and I just thought I'd throw the following out there.

- Marquardt was noticeably larger than Saffiedine, yet he was unable to impose his will on Saffiedine in the clinch / takedown department. Marquardt looked like his former MW self while Saffiedine looked like an average sized WW.
- Saffiedine has pretty good head movement, his Muay Thai isn't too shabby either & he has a pretty decent chin & some nice TDD, if he sharpens these skills. He could be like a Martin Kampmann w/ a chin, he could pose as a possible threat for the title, but who am I kidding? GSP is still at the top of the division, but I believe Tarec has a good chance in the wrestle-heavy division.
- Daniel Cormier is a beast, he reminded me of Cain last night though. He was very consistent with his attack as expected, but he might hit harder than Cain. He's a threat to any HW current day in the UFC.
- Dion Staring has heart, I'll give him that. If he does get signed by the UFC though, they should match him up w/ someone like Pat Barry or someone that will stand with him. He needs a good tune up.
- Josh Barnett is such an experienced veteran, I feel he can be a threat to anyone in the current HW division other than the Top 5. Who I have as Cain, JDS, Overeem, DC & Fabricio.
- Gegard Mousasi is a pretty well rounded guy, his TDD is still questionable but I know he's getting better. He's very experienced, but sadly it felt like he was slightly getting owned in the Stand Up department & he went for the takedown and got the eventual sub. Still good win nonetheless.
- Should Mike Kyle get into the UFC, he could do decent at the mid tier of the division, but I don't ever see him becoming Top 10. He'd be a fun fight for whoever would wanna slug it out. Someone like a Beltran before he got busted for Roids.
- Jacare Souza impressed me the most on the card. He's honestly who I believe is a legitimate threat to any MW. His ground game is on another level & his stand up is ever improving. He rocked Herman and subbed the fighter primarily known for his ground game. If Anderson Silva retires soon, I can see Jacare taking in after him.

Just my thoughts, what are your guys thoughts on the card last night?

Good analysis. One thing I find funny about that card is saffedine's win. Who would have ever thought we'd see a Belgian champion under a Zuffa company before we see a Japanese, Russian, British, or any other of the good international countries.

Good analysis. One thing I find funny about that card is saffedine's win. Who would have ever thought we'd see a Belgian champion under a Zuffa company before we see a Japanese, Russian, British, or any other of the good international countries.

Agreed that is very interesting. Althoug to be fair if it was ever going to happen the picked clean strikeforce ww division was a pretty likely place for it to happen

i cant believe how big marquadt is at 170. i think he would dwarf any of the ww's in the ufc including alves and ellenberger.

What I got from it...

Saffiedine v.s. Kampmann would be sick. They are almost identical in how they fight/style.

Mousasi, I have always said, will do big things in the UFC and could dominate most of the top 10 fighters.

Jacare will do big things too. Should fight Weidman and stop the bs hype on him.

Cormier shouldn't waste his time fight frank. Put him against a top fighter like JDS or Overeem or if he really wants Bones he should just have his first fight at 205 against a top 5 opponent.

Marquardt shit the bed and the worst decision I've probably ever seen in Couture getting the nod over KJ.

i dopnt want to ever watch Dion Staring fight again. That guy is terrible. Cormier should have put him away within the first minute. The guy threw 1 punch the entire fight. He has great survival skills, but so does jerr probst and I dont want to see him fight either.

I agree with most of your analysis, but I don't think Gegard was getting owned in the standup and neither does fightmetric http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fighters/details/406 which has Gegard landing 23 meaningful strikes to Mike Kyle's 7. I think Kyle was throwing a lot of slapping punches that made him look more active than he was.

Marquardt looked horrible. Fighting like this he has no business in the UFC (can

The whole card stank. Except for the main event, every match was non-competitive. The loser Cormier fought didn't even throw a punch. The only good to come out of it is that a cheater got his leg blasted (hope there is a pic of his leg today) and he lost.

the only good thing about that card- free on cable. one-sided beatdowns to dobious descisions. marquadt is not suppose to headline a card-that was a terrible performance. he can drop all the way to featherweight, he'll never contend for the belt in the ufc.

The whole card stank. Except for the main event, every match was non-competitive. The loser Cormier fought didn't even throw a punch. The only good to come out of it is that a cheater got his leg blasted (hope there is a pic of his leg today) and he lost.

That might be as it is, calling Staring a loser from behind your pc screen is fucking ignorant. They couldn

-I'd like to see Marquardt back at MW, I think there is his best weight division. That way he keeps his power and doesn't have to drain himself as much.
-I'd like to see Cormier vs. Jones right away, way better than Sonnen.
-I'd give Staring 1 fight because he was the only one willing to take on Cormier, maybe Staring vs. the dude Barry just beat.
-Saffiedine vs. Kampmann would be excellent.
-Barnett needs to be in the UFC.

Saffiedine surprised the hell out of me, havent watched the fights so only saw the play-by-play. He seemed to shut down Marquardt effectively, saw the thigh, gruesome!

Cormier and Barnett squashed their opponents as expected.

Mousasi seemed impressive, made short work of Kyle.

Jacare proving he belongs as a true MW contender.

Gutted I missed the main card!

Back