My Rolling Journal: Entry 1

sir037

Forever Noob
Reaction score
Week 3 @ Showtime Jiu-Jitsu

Things are finally starting to click, I'm having to think less about moves and my execution is a little cleaner. YEAH!

I'm going to get to actually roll, it's more of a guard passing drill than anything else. I can't remember how long we're going for but it was probably just a minute. One on his back, the other standing. The first time around the guy standing can only use one hand. I'm not sure why or how, but somehow I managed side control and am able to maintain control til the end.

Then.....then it was my turn on my back. I think I might have invented a new guard, I'll call it the Beached Whale Guard. It's where you lull your opponent into a false sense of security by pretty much letting them take whatever position they want and then escape, sweep or submit them when they're not expecting it. I've got the first part down, but the escape, sweep, or submit portion needs work. LOTS OF WORK.

Somehow my beached whale guard confused of my opponents and I ended up sweeping and mounting him. Then again I don't know how that happened either. I think they were going a little easy on me, but that's ok. Baby steps.

At the end of class, I wasn't sore. The first 2 classes left me pretty sore all over for a couple of days. I dinged up my foot a bit this time but nothing else hurts.

For any other noobies out there, believe the hype the cardio required is completely different. I can do a couple of miles on a treadmill as a warm-up without a problem, but I was almost falling over today.

I thought to myself, is the pain and exhaustion worth it, even if I don't ever compete in a tournament. That thought makes me smile and say HELL YEAH. I've got the addiction.

Funny stuff, but if this is seriously a training log then maybe it should be in the, er, Training Log forum?
Go check it out, there's some pretty good journals over there.

Bubble Boy said:
Funny stuff, but if this is seriously a training log then maybe it should be in the, er, Training Log forum?
Go check it out, there's some pretty good journals over there.

Actually, it is serious, but it's a fun journey

Crazy, I don't think I've ever visited the Training Log forum. There's good stuff in there.

Thank you for steering me in that direction.

Everybody gets the bug, awesome.

Don't start relying on that "beached whale guard", you need to be active because when they start rolling with you seriously you will get whomped.

sir037 said:
I'll call it the Beached Whale Guard.

way back when i wrestled we called laying on top of someone in the bottom position beachy whale... not the same but it made me chuckle and remember that...

when you perfect this new guard make sure you post a how to with plenty of pictures....

Bama Zulu said:
Don't start relying on that "beached whale guard", you need to be active because when they start rolling with you seriously you will get whomped.

I wasn't trying to use it, but my rolling cardio is pathetic. My mind was saying move, but my legs and core were saying hell no. I'm doing drills at home with my heavy bag and grappling dummy to try and improve my cardio.

I'm hoping to compete at Best Of The West, but it'll be a matter of how my cardio is when that competition comes around.

Any info on that Best of the West thing? Date, location etc?

Back