My neck isnt flexible enough.

Calibur

Jiu Jitsu Snob
@red
Reaction score
Im getting to a level where I have to use techniques that involve me rolling on to my back where most of the preassure is on my neck.

Ive done drills like these for years (you know the one where you roll all the way back and you shift your legs from side to side?), but I always used to fudge them while doing techniques because I wasnt limber enough to put that kind of preassure on my neck/shoulder blades for a long time without using my arms for support.

I think I need this to advance my game. Any ideas on how to get better at it. Is it a neck issue or a shoulder issue, or a confidence issue?

Thanx

As you know we go up and down the hall doing ebi's during the warmup. Many people also practice them before class. You should definitely be careful with your neck though!

Do you find it a problem when people stack you in guard?

Waxwingslain said:
As you know we go up and down the hall doing ebi's during the warmup. Many people also practice them before class. You should definitely be careful with your neck though!

Do you find it a problem when people stack you in guard?

The inverted ebi drills that your gym do are great. I wish my gym did them.

My neck is injury free at the moment. I dont get stacked very often (Im usually the stacker, not the stackee), but when I do I roll out of it pretty easily (that, or I get passed).

I want to get my neck flexible for offense, not so much for defense. If someone puts my body at an awkward angle I can roll out pretty easy, but its hard for myself to roll to that position using my own momentum with all my weight on my shoulder blades.

Whats the problem exactly? Is your neck just in pain or is it physically not rolling properly or what?

stiffness is a problem that gets a lot of people. I would suggest simply forcing a stretch when dealing with your neck and spinal region. I would suggest goign to see a orthopod or physical therapist and gettting cleared before triny anyhting to significant.

what I did ... I spend like 15 - 30 mins in a hot suana everyday before class. As I have gotten older and the more I worked otuside in the cold weather I have grown very stiff in the last few years. The heat is like a natural lubricant for me and I have gotten much much more flexible over the last few months. but I would stress to make sure you see a doctor about your own personal anatomy. everyone is differant and not everyone is meant to bend like gumby.

I like the ebi type of drills. also there is a yoda type of sposition called the plow and other "gymnastic natural" type of movements that can help.

If you find something that works for you please post it and tell us about your progress.

This post is an area of concern for me. I am a newbie and I have been having issues with my neck. After about a month of taking it easy, I am basically pain free. I don't know how I injured it the first place, but I'm sure it was from rolling. What are these exercises you guys are talking about to strengthen the neck. I don't need another neck injury slowing down my training.

know any hs/college wrestlers? ask them if they know any neck stretches/bridges etc.

front bridge- start on your knees, forehead and hands on the mat. put as much weight on your neck as you feel comfortable with and roll side to side, circles, stretch all you can and as your neck gets stronger you can eventually get off your knees and take your hands off the mat.

bridge- flip over so you're on your heels and head. roll and stretch and hold as long as you feel is needed. bridge as high as you can, then back down, turn side to side. then put your back on the mat, flop your legs over your head (your balls in your face :/) all your weight on the back of your head, knees to the mat if you can. hold for a count. then both knees to your left, then both to the right.

do this everytime you step on the mat at the beginning of class. you can also do it at home in a folded blanket or whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back