My Latest Grappling Match

Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This weekend was the debut for our competition team. We had over 20 competitors and we won both the youth and adult team trophies. I push my students very hard in training and I encourage them to compete.

I have had a severely injured leg (completely torn ACL and a chronic tear in my meniscus) for the last year and this has forced me onto the side lines as far as competition goes. I try to compete enough, even while injured, that my students never lose sight of the fact that I am both an instructor AND and a competitor. After I get my knee operated on, and I rehab it correctly, I'll be back to competing more regularly.

The NewBreed tournament is well run but still fairly small. There wasnt anyone in my division and they were having trouble finding an opponent for me. Thankfully one of the referees who is a brown belt and about my size stepped up to the challenge. He literally took 10 minutes to change out of his reffing uniform and warm up and then hopped into a match with me. I give him MAJOR props for doing that as he did not have to.

The intensity is low but I feel the match went well. I didnt "jump" guard as I'm not keen on going airborne with my knee the way it is.

Thanks everyone for your support,

The Gerbil

good match! how long since your last competition? injuries suck, how did the knee hold up??

good match! how long since your last competition? injuries suck, how did the knee hold up??

Hmm, it's been awhile since I competed. I did the Pan Ams last year but was out of it this year because of the knee.

My knee keeps getting worse. It pops out constantly and I've been waiting to hear back from the doctor. I got my MRI back and apparently my ACL is completely torn and I have a tear that is giving me stability problems with my meniscus as well.

I'm getting full reconstructive surgery some time next year. I have to plan around having someone teach my classes for a few months while I rehab or I would be getting it in January.

Respect for accepting the match. I know a lot of blackbelts don't even want to compete locally for fear of losing... so to take a match with a brown belt at a small event shows a lot of confidence and humility. So, good on you.

Boss! Slick pass and really props to that guy for stepping up. I went to the last newbreed up in charlotte before this one and it was really well run by that guy who did the GQ commentaries, brooklyn guy or whatever. hate how small it is tho, i had a very small division.

Really nice to watch, never seen your competition matches before so it was nice to say I was not surprised by how slick you are.

Also really good of you to keep competing despite the injury (although you probably shouldn't) and I'm sure it means a lot to your students that you do - good on you.

Also, mad props to the brown belt who stepped up. Really good of him to do that.

out of curiosity - as a coach, how do you train? do you get other black belts etc into your gym? do you visit other gyms? just roll with your students?

Jeremy.. could you possibly do a vid on the torreando variation you passed with?

man awesome pass! please do a video about that pass!

congrats! youre the man gerbil!

out of curiosity - as a coach, how do you train? do you get other black belts etc into your gym? do you visit other gyms? just roll with your students?

I dont get a lot of training time at other gyms. Honestly I dont even get a lot of drill time. I probably get two hours of actual drilling time. Like time without talking, time without trouble shooting. 120 hours of solid repetitions.

I do however teach over 30 hours a week.

On top of that I roll between 45 and 60 7 minute rounds a week.

Jeremy.. could you possibly do a vid on the torreando variation you passed with?

man awesome pass! please do a video about that pass!

congrats! youre the man gerbil!

Yes, I will be filming a set of passes in the next week or two. This has been requested a lot by my students and people who saw this video so I'll show it.

Great match. How did it feel to compete again? Did you feel like you were in competition shape? I'm sorry to hear that your knee is getting worse. Did something go wrong during the rehab process?

May I request a video on how you turned him over for that armbar? I know it's basic, but I get stuck in that position all the time.

Damn, that bullfighter variation was cool. I'm excited to see a video. Great job in your match!

Great match. How did it feel to compete again? Did you feel like you were in competition shape? I'm sorry to hear that your knee is getting worse. Did something go wrong during the rehab process?

May I request a video on how you turned him over for that armbar? I know it's basic, but I get stuck in that position all the time.

I think I completely tore it off the get go. So I didnt really do anything to make it worse, I never had the surgery. I think as time went on it started putting pressure on the medial meniscus horn because it's the supporting tissue for the ACL.

I'm NOT in competition shape. I can go with the masters for sure, but if it was a 10 minute match with an 18-29 year old that pushed the pace on me I would die. I can hang with anyone for 7 minutes...after that it's a crap shoot.

Some of that is because as a coach and a teacher it's difficult for me to do my job while I'm repping myself. I do get training in, it's just secondary after I give to my students.

After I get my knee fixed I'll be able to train for myself more. A lot of times my knee starts to feel "funny" and I stop before it goes all wonky. It also prevents me from leisurely training when I want and with who I want (at other schools for instance) as every time I gi up I have to weight the possibilities of getting hurt and possibly not being able to teach. I know that sounds lame, but it's the reality of owning my own gym and teaching all the classes myself.

I will for sure make a video of the roll over. But if you're having problems I can tell you it's probably one of two things.

1. your palm should grasp the ankle in a palm up fashion.
2. dont try to pull them over your body, instead pull their foot over top of your head. I'm not sure if that is difficult to visualize but when I make the video it will be easy.

Very smooth. You looked very calm and relaxed. It was a pleasure to watch your technique and transitions in the match. Nice finish.

Good luck with the surgery and rehabilitation next year.

Thanks for posting! That guy was the ref when I competed at New Breed in Warren NJ.

Great job, Gerbil and big ups to the brown belt who took the match.

I think I completely tore it off the get go. So I didnt really do anything to make it worse, I never had the surgery. I think as time went on it started putting pressure on the medial meniscus horn because it's the supporting tissue for the ACL.

That's too bad. Hope it gets better with surgery.

How did it happen. Off a submission or a freak accident or something? Did you realize it right away or later on.

That's too bad. Hope it gets better with surgery.

How did it happen. Off a submission or a freak accident or something? Did you realize it right away or later on.

It happened while I was boxing. I stepped back rapidly and my knee exploded.

I realized that my knee was fucked right away but I didnt realize how bad. It was a bad enough "pop" that the whole room stopped training.

Back