My last resort to stop myself from snacking

Matt Thornton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
It's been getting a little crazy lately, dodging holiday food, and I've been snacking like a frustrated middle aged woman. So I came up with a little idea.

I printed out pictures of some of my favorite MMA fighters in the middle of a tough match, or at the end of one. I have GSP fighting, Takanori Gomi standing on the ropes after a win, etc. And the Bushido logo. And I loaded up the GSP pic with inspirational quotes about self control.

I taped those bad boys up; one on the inside of a snack cabinet, and the other next to a refrigerator. My mom agreed to let me have it there until the end of Christmas.

So now whenever that stupid voice in the back of my head wants to go digging for food, I take a look at those pictures and remember why I'm choosing not to sit on my ass, drink soda, and eat Doritos like all my friends do.

I used to tape on my wall just a piece of paper that said "go running". So I would wake up, sit up, and see that right in my face first thing.

I never done anything that severe but I have posted pictures of fighters in my workout room for motivation. Whenever you feel like snacking drink water or do something that keeps your mind busy like hmmm videogames? Hope your new idea works btw

I wasn't hungry before reading this thread, but now I'm going to get a nice snack right now.

Put out as many healthy foods as you can. Fruit & veggie baskets- that kind of thing. Maybe find a tasty treat that has some nutritive value (something that won't kill you) but that you enjoy. Get fruit popsicles: 25 calories a pop. Usually enough to kill an ice cream craving (Ben & Jerry's is my achilles hell, and I will fellate them in hell for it).

I don't want to derail the thread because I want to hear more methods of inspiration, but I also want to point out that- IMO- willpower is the most overrated tactic in the diet game. Always strategize to avoid temptation. Prioritize your preparations to diminish it, do not prioritize conditioning yourself to resist it.

Wisdom, not strength, will often suffice for victory.

Yeah, but even if I have 30 apples scattered around my house in random areas, if I know I have a cookie hidden somewhere I will take the time to find it.

So, my solution, living alone? Don't buy them. When I have treats, I eat them, simple as that. So, I don't buy them and I have sweet fruit lying around so its either nothing or strawberries, and I normally choose them. Eventually I loose my sweet tooth.

My girlfriend stays over anywhere from 2-5 nights a week, and she loves treats, so I either have her buy things I don't like as much (i'm not a big chocolate fan) or I have her hide them from me.

If its not there, you can't eat it.

Edit: Now I'm at my parents house for a few days and they have cookies everywhere. All bets are off, I just had two huge cookies after my lunch, and will eat them until they are all gone.

Rjkd12 said:
Yeah, but even if I have 30 apples scattered around my house in random areas, if I know I have a cookie hidden somewhere I will take the time to find it.

So, my solution, living alone? Don't buy them. When I have treats, I eat them, simple as that. So, I don't buy them and I have sweet fruit lying around so its either nothing or strawberries, and I normally choose them. Eventually I loose my sweet tooth.

My girlfriend stays over anywhere from 2-5 nights a week, and she loves treats, so I either have her buy things I don't like as much (i'm not a big chocolate fan) or I have her hide them from me.

Edit: Now I'm at my parents house for a few days and they have cookies everywhere. All bets are off, I just had two huge cookies after my lunch, and will eat them until they are all gone.

Wow -- I think you are me. I rarely buy the stuff, but my wife does, occasionally. I eat all of it. She complains. I say -- don't buy it or keep it in your car. If I visit my parents, same deal. I open their snack cupboard every ten minutes like a fiend looking for crack. Macaroons, fruit roll-ups, Cheetos, Snickers... you name it. So hard to resist. Not w/ you on the chocolate thing, though. I got a double license plate size bar as a gift at work once and ate 90% of it before I left that day. Luckily, these occurances take place very rarely.

Most of the times, my efforts at losing weight were for the benefit of the oppisite sex. I would dl pics of super hot women, and when I was tempted, I would look at them. Either I want the food or the ass. Never worked long term though. :(

Flounder said:
Most of the times, my efforts at losing weight were for the benefit of the oppisite sex. I would dl pics of super hot women, and when I was tempted, I would look at them. Either I want the food or the ass. Never worked long term though. :(

Yeah, I can never really find the motivation to exercise and eat right just from looking good. I mean, I like looking good and being in shape, but you need more motivation for that. I get my motivation from MMA, and enjoy an athletic physique as a side benefit.

Rjkd12 said:

Just what I'm talking about.

I figured this trick out a long time ago. If you resist these treats just once at the supermarket, you don't have to resist them countless times at home.

Strategize to diminish temptation. This thread couldn't more clearly illustrate how bad willpower sucks as a diet strategy. That strategy is part of what got this nation fat, IMO.

Tap112 said:
I used to tape on my wall just a piece of paper that said "go running". So I would wake up, sit up, and see that right in my face first thing.
That's a great idea, too. Very simple, but it wouldn't hurt to have something like that to guilt me into training or whatever when I'm feeling a little lazy!

Madmick said:
Just what I'm talking about.

I figured this trick out a long time ago. If you resist these treats just once at the supermarket, you don't have to resist them countless times at home.

Strategize to diminish temptation. This thread couldn't more clearly illustrate how bad willpower sucks as a diet strategy. That strategy is part of what got this nation fat, IMO.
It's tough when you don't always do the shopping. My wife likes sweets, which is fine. She and I have completely opposite (read: conflicting) lifestyles, and that's her and my choice. It stills makes it a little difficult when I 'm looking for a snack. Convevience foods = SATAN. :icon_evil

farmboy said:
It's tough when you don't always do the shopping. My wife likes sweets, which is fine. She and I have completely opposite (read: conflicting) lifestyles, and that's her and my choice. It stills makes it a little difficult when I 'm looking for a snack. Convevience foods = SATAN. :icon_evil
Yea, I'll hardly ever buy anything 'unhealthy', but other people in my family do. It is a lot easier to pass it up when you have to pay for it than when its just lying around.

Something that helps me sometimes is taping my finger [or wrist]. It reminds me of training.

Honestly though, the best thing is working out and training every day. I find I have a lot harder time eating shit food when I stop exercising for a while. When you're cutting weight some people crave candy or whatever, but I only want real food and water so thats a different story there.

farmboy said:
Convevience foods = SATAN. :icon_evil
hahha.

I'll never forget something my wrestling coach said: "cookies are the devil"

and I'll never forget what the assitant coach said: "the best ones are the ones that make a splash, because then you dont have to wipe"

I read of one guy that posted a sign over his bed, so it was the first thing he saw every morning. It's message? "Why aren't you in the gym you fat FUCK?" I laughed when I read that and thought it was a good idea. The best thing is definitely not having the foods to tempt you. On willpower alone I do terrible. Only when I have healthy food available and no junk food, am I able to eat healthy for any extended time. Diet is definitely my biggest weakness and something I need to rectify. Right now I don't have a whole lot of choice in what to eat, but that will be changing in a few weeks.

What are some of the quotes about self control man? I really need some.

Also there was this one quote I liked but can't remember who said it or even the exact words. It goes something like, When it comes to the body, man has no right not to push it to the limit to see what it can do. I don't know though.

Back