My Gi stinks

Trudge

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My Gi has started to smell like wet dog as SOON as it gets a little bit wet, i have 4 gi's and its the only one that does it
how can i fix the problem???
and its not that i dont wash it, otherwise they'd all smell bad

My cousin has that issue, but hes a filthy bastard so its a different situation.
Do you wear that gi more often than the others?

My Gi has started to smell like wet dog as SOON as it gets a little bit wet, i have 4 gi's and its the only one that does it
how can i fix the problem???
and its not that i dont wash it, otherwise they'd all smell bad

You probably let it get infested with mold by not washing right away. Put it in a ziploc bag and freeze it for a day. Then wash it with Oxyclean. And dry it in a dryer on the lowest temp possible. Don't let it hang dry or it will just get moldy again.

You probably let it get infested with mold by not washing right away. Put it in a ziploc bag and freeze it for a day. Then wash it with Oxyclean. And dry it in a dryer on the lowest temp possible. Don't let it hang dry or it will just get moldy again.

cheers i'll do that mate, i air dry all my gi's cos it says to do that, do you dry them in a dryer?

Vinegar works wonders. Whenever my gear (gi's & rashguards) start to exhibit that issue, I will dump about a cup or two of vinegar in the washer and that will usually knock it out.

Put it in the wash with Oxi-Clean. It sounds like you have a slight mold problem and the Oxi-Clean should take care of that.

kill-it-with-fire.jpg

it's the only way to be sure.

I used to have the same problem. I solved it by putting my gi in acetic acid (about ~5% and the rest water, altough I don't think higher concentrations would harm the fabric (most vinegars are 8%)) for an hour and then washed it. Now it smells like new :)

Last edited:
Now it smells like salad :)

Fixed.

I always thrown my gis in the shower, are you sure you need to air dry yours? I'm sure the heat from the dryer kills some of the nasty stuff the washer might not get rid of.

Fixed.

I always thrown my gis in the shower, are you sure you need to air dry yours? I'm sure the heat from the dryer kills some of the nasty stuff the washer might not get rid of.

No, a dryer isn't a bacteria killer. The TS needs to soak long in vinegar. I've had fantastic results with Mr Clean antibacterial. I just put somewhere around 1/4-1/2 cup in, let it soak (sometimes), and my stuff comes out great.

This happens every now and then when I forget part of my gi overnight in my bag. Wash it with Oxy Clean then hang it up in a spot where it will get a lot of sun (UV) and repeat until it stops stinking.

This happens every now and then when I forget part of my gi overnight in my bag. Wash it with Oxy Clean then hang it up in a spot where it will get a lot of sun (UV) and repeat until it stops stinking.

This. Always been a 1-2 for me, soak it in vinegar, then let it sit out in the sun.

if you are not going to wash it right after class, do not put it in the hamper. set it out to dry in sunlight.

this may sound retarded, but try ironing your gi after washing and drying.
And yes, make sure you dry it thoroughly.

i live in the uk we NEVER GET SUN haha
nah, i'll try to work something out though, cheers for the tips guys

The purpose of the dryer isn't to kill bacteria/fungi, it's to dry the garment quickly so that more bacteria/fungi can't set up shop in the moist environment of the freshly washed gi. The oxyclean will kill the "bugs" just fine.
Also a good suggestion I saw was to dry the gi in the sun. If you can do this, you don't really need to use a dryer. It's all about getting the gi dry quickly, one way or another. Just don't go too hot, or you might shrink the gi.

basically, if it has 'oxy' in it's name it will kill anything living and somethings that aren't.

oxy clean. switch to the tide withe febreeze for sports stuff. It will help alot. Also use liquid softner and wash your gi right when you get home

Back