My first submission fight (VIDEO) -please help

PutDaCream

NO BELT
Reaction score
Hi. This was my first submission fight. I lost it and i think it was a good decision (he made a good throw when i was going for a guillotine), but i would like some help about how to fight a guy like this from the bottom. The guy just stayed in my guard, not doing anything. I couldn't attack, because he was just grabbing me. So i decided to stall to make the reffery stand us up again (bad decision, he made the throw). Please, can someone give some tips? (I'm the one with grey trunks)
Video: http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2GFN8WJ5BYQ2M1FHZRTJRUYTD0

Maybe look into using rubber guard or high guard. I think it'd help you when you're stuck with him gripping onto you without any intention of moving. Other than that, try to buck, bridge and shrimp until you can push him away or get a chance to sweep to another position.

If you want honest critisim... You didn't look too hot. Work on sweeps, attacks from guard, take down defense, takedowns, escaping standing headlocks, butterfly guard, taking the back. Looked pretty noobish, I mean he was rolling you over in a head lock, and your legs were just wailing in the air? Get your hooks in, get your head out, three times you could have had the back. Your gaurd game was non exsitant... You need alot of work. But at least you stepped up. So keep working on technique. Maybe try to get your hands on Marcelos no gi and Saulo no gi instructionals. Hope that helps.

This the hobit weight devision?

Yeah man you just need work.. multiple time you could have easily taken the back..
You attemtped no set ups or sweeps from guard. A couple times you reached for the kimura but you were just trying to power it on.
Just train more, and protect the ring.

Thanks for the input guys. You know, i'm just starting. I came from a Judo background trying to make the jump to submission and mma with no trainer to help me. Just me and my training partner. Right now i have 1 submission fight and 1 mma fight - 2 losses. After watching my fights, i try to see what i was doing wrong. But i think my biggest problem is lack of intensity. I'm too much passive, and the things i do ok in training seems to disappear on the ring. I make the biggest errors like a noob, just like you said. On this fight i decided not to attack, just wait for him and counter. But i went crazy when i found him on top of me and i couldn't do anything.
Any critic that makes me improve is welcome.

PutDaCream said:
Thanks for the input guys. You know, i'm just starting. I came from a Judo background trying to make the jump to submission and mma with no trainer to help me. Just me and my training partner. Right now i have 1 submission fight and 1 mma fight - 2 losses. After watching my fights, i try to see what i was doing wrong. But i think my biggest problem is lack of intensity. I'm too much passive, and the things i do ok in training seems to disappear on the ring. I make the biggest errors like a noob, just like you said. On this fight i decided not to attack, just wait for him and counter. But i went crazy when i found him on top of me and i couldn't do anything.
Any critic that makes me improve is welcome.

Ok part of your problem is that your only training with one other guy. You need multiple different partners to train against. Guys better than you, guys worse than you, and guys you are close to. The good guys show you all the holes in your game, the worse guys are there so you can try new things and open up your game, the guys at your level are there as a mark to judge your self by.

Comming from a background in judo you had no takedown defense or offense.. you kind of just hung around and waited for him to throw you.

Being aggressive is part of it, but most fights are won at the training camp.
You need to find a good place to train with good instruction... Its the only way to get to another level.

Gsoares2 said:
Ok part of your problem is that your only training with one other guy. You need multiple different partners to train against. Guys better than you, guys worse than you, and guys you are close to. The good guys show you all the holes in your game, the worse guys are there so you can try new things and open up your game, the guys at your level are there as a mark to judge your self by.

Comming from a background in judo you had no takedown defense or offense.. you kind of just hung around and waited for him to throw you.

Being aggressive is part of it, but most fights are won at the training camp.
You need to find a good place to train with good instruction... Its the only way to get to another level.

agreed

It's easy to look at things in retrospect, but you probably should have worked more from the guard. It's not easy when someone clams up like that, but a really tight rubber guard/high guard can be good in that position. This is not quite as easy as it sounds, but if he's pulling his arms towards him and pressing down on you, keep a closed guard and grab on tight to his neck with both hands and try to jam your thighs in under his elbows as far as possible. While keeping everything tight, release one hand from his neck and try to get an overhook by getting your hand inside his wrist and threading your arm through. Once you have the overhook on that arm he is threatened by the triangle and the omo plata and you can work the rubber guard.

his basing wasn't so hot either. you could have swept pretty easily with a single inside hook when he stood up on you a few times and gotten full mount. Also, in the first takedown, you had his back, all you had to do was swing your legs over his hips, pull your head out, and set your hooks. I don't think this guy would have had a prayer once that happened. He lay n prayed you pretty bad, and when he stood up in your guard you could've worked a triangle or even swept a leg over for an armbar. I don't really know, I wasn't in your shoes and it's hard to tell from that camera angle, but you really just need to work with someone who knows some no gi submissions.

Brad said:
but you really just need to work with someone who knows some no gi submissions.

Good point. I think I'm having a bad time learning to fight with no gi. I think I'll try to find some greco or freestyle wrestler to teach me how to avoid those throws without the gi (and also how to do them, because the only ones i can do without the gi are singles and double-legs. That's why i don't shoot on submission fighting, I'm afraid of getting caught in a guillotine.). With the gi on, it's much more easy to control your opponent (at least to me).
You know, where i live there are only a Judo school and a Karate school. No MMA, Submission or any other kind of martial arts. I train Judo, train submissions and striking with my partner and go to the ring to test it. I took a beating on my first mma match, and I'm OK with taking another if i need to improve and see what i need to work more. That's called learning the hard way...
That's why i ask you guys to see the video and point my mistakes. I'm not afraid of loosing some matches. I want to fight and i want to improve.

PutDaCream said:
Good point. I think I'm having a bad time learning to fight with no gi. I think I'll try to find some greco or freestyle wrestler to teach me how to avoid those throws without the gi (and also how to do them, because the only ones i can do without the gi are singles and double-legs. That's why i don't shoot on submission fighting, I'm afraid of getting caught in a guillotine.). With the gi on, it's much more easy to control your opponent (at least to me).
You know, where i live there are only a Judo school and a Karate school. No MMA, Submission or any other kind of martial arts. I train Judo, train submissions and striking with my partner and go to the ring to test it. I took a beating on my first mma match, and I'm OK with taking another if i need to improve and see what i need to work more. That's called learning the hard way...
That's why i ask you guys to see the video and point my mistakes. I'm not afraid of loosing some matches. I want to fight and i want to improve.

You should take a look at Karo Parisyan's Judo/MMA tapes. Very well done.

Ok i didnt watch the vid but my advice is this:
Try to train one part of your game 1st. You have access to a judo club so pick a good sweep or thorw you are brilliant with. When you get that down learn some good guard passes then work on your guard.
If you had a BJJ club you could go with that and just become a pro at guardwork but since thats not an option work with a qualified instructor in the other parts of your game and go from there.
Even good guard gamers lose.
Do a search on point players and you will see guys win by throwing or taking the guy down and then gaining position on them and winning even though they arent good at subs.
With Judo at least youll get SOME practice with that. so go for it!

Back