my first gi

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by greghead, Mar 23, 2008.

1. greghead

greghead White Belt

I'm looking into getting my first gi. I was hesitant for awhile, I really didn't have any interest in training w/gi. Now most people at my gym have gotten them and I feel I'm missing out on a lot by not having one. My coach recommended a hck gi, but I've heard they're hot as hell. I sweat a lot when I workout, so I really don't want something that bad. Half the guys at my gym take off their hck tops when they roll. I'm 6'1, 180lbs and have fairly wide shoulders.

The gi's I'm considering right now are the Ouano Lightweight and the Vulkan Summer Kimono. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Macabuhay

Macabuhay White Belt

I have an HCK, and I would agree with them being hot and heavy, especially the pants. Strangely, I have gotten used it though haha. It is perfect for a budget or starter gi though; my unbleached single weave was only $50 at budovideos.com

I have heard great things about the Vulkans though.

3. shaftoe

shaftoe Orange Belt

You can't go wrong with the Ouano or the Vulkan, though I haven't seen the new pre-shrunk Vulkans yet. Jiujitsuprogear has both the shrink-to-fit and the pre-shrunk.

4. sir-elric

sir-elric Guest

i hv an HCK single weave and its bloody hot ! so u definately go for something lighter!

5. blink_man182

blink_man182 Black Belt

I was wondering about my first GI too, and the place where im going to train sells Ouano GI's so I think I might pick one up since i've only heard good things so far.

6. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

Gameness pearl is good, from what I hear/read.

The school I train at sells Ouano's, haven't heard any complaints about them yet.

7. son_goku

son_goku Blue Belt

8. GZUS

GZUS STOCKTONE'S FINEST

oaunos start fraying after only few months of use.

9. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

ya got pics?

10. phengeng

phengeng Blue Belt

get a gameness platinum ..i recommend from boomers.

or a fuji gi.

11. Newcastle

Newcastle Brown Belt

That isn't terribly good to hear about the Ouano gi. :icon_surp My first gi was the Gameness Platinum and while it is a nice gi, the top is freakin hot and heavy as hell. I just got a Ouano and loving it so far. The rope belt on the pants is fraying a little but is easily replaced so I don't have issue with that. Hopefully it will hold up well as I'd like to order another in blue so I guess I will wait a while and see how it does.

I also recommend ordering from www.cagesidemma.com if you want a Ouano or Gameness. The prices and customer service are great there!

12. Petch

Petch White Belt

First time I have ever heard that from anyone. I have never read anything but good things about Ouano.

13. Masakatsu Funaki #1

Masakatsu Funaki #1 Black Belt

14. Elder

Elder White Belt

I'd email them about what size you really take - they can shrink a bit without even putting them in the dryer.... the judo gi is a good gi though, well-made, haven't tried the BJJ one....

15. 3s_em1

3s_em1 Blue Belt

I have a Gameness pearl and it is great. I wash it 2-3 times a week (since Aug 07) and not a loose thread or tear). Color did fade a bit but nothing to disappoint me.

Not very hot. I use a rashguard under and have no issues (and I live in Florida)

The Plat. is great as well. One of my buddies has one. The collar is thicker than the pearl (makes chokes harder for me)

16. Doop

Doop Purple Belt

i second the gameness platinum i got one from boomer and we could not stop talking about how awesome that gi was he had them in storage but never tried them and then one day he brought me one and we just stood their carressing the sob saying how soft it was and how nice and perrrty it was. but also the quano gi and the gameness single weave from boomers would be the sheeite as well all very very nice gis

17. Fozzy1

Fozzy1 Guest

I think you should write a 1500 word review on the gameness gi in this tounge.

:)

~Foz

18. Doop

Doop Purple Belt

you got it boss

19. Fozzy1

Fozzy1 Guest

too bad you posted it in the wrong forum nub :p

~Foz

20. Doop

Doop Purple Belt

wow i really felt insulted when you called me a nub. seriously but if you want it you got it