My first fight with no shin pads

Michael Wanaka

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
Is Saturday, March 29th, in Tumwater WA. I'm excited! I'm fighting at 205 this time.

Good luck man, be sure to post a video. Hopefully your shins don't get too banged up.

Good luck man.
I had my first fight without shin guards last month and I have to say I think I actually prefer it, I think it makes the kicking more skilled, you've got to be really accurate with the timing and the aim of your kicks, as long as you do that you'll be fine.
Post the vid!

Hey man good luck on the 29th, I hate fighting with Shin pads, luckily I use those really thin sock kind so my kicks are still felt. Hope to see a video of it, good luck.

Goodluck Michael, kick some ass and let us know what it sounds like to have your shins crack a guy's skull bone to bone :icon_twis

wait, what are the policies for amateur fights in Washington as far as equipment?

All we need is gloves and headgear for AM muay thai, some shows make you wear those horrid karate booties though, liability reasons or something.

Hope you perfected your Ali shuffle.

Good luck. If you'll have problems moving properly because of banged up insteps/ankles/shins afterwards ask me for advice, I've got some experience.

Good luck man I wish you the best.

I use shin pads but they are really thin.

I don't train Muay Thai, but I always thought the gold standard for shin conditioning was kicking something hard at the core with a bit of softness or "give" on the outside, like the bannana trees that the Thai used traditionally.

Of course, "old school" doesn't necessarily mean "good;" if it did, responsible trainers wouldn't eschew stupid and dangerous training methods popular in the good ol' days, such as training like a maniac on hot days while denying yourself water so as to condition your body to perform better without it, or "salt loading" before competitions. My Dad, who spent a year in Thailand when I was a toddler, used to tell me stories of the boxers from the local school wailing away full-force with their shins on a plain teakwood pole. I'm sure they had some bad-ass hard shins, but I'd not recommend the practice; I'd wager more than one of those guys also has a bad-ass limp, bone damage, problems from old blod clots, or other problems in the 35 or so years since then related to their training.

The hell, make another thread if y'all want to debate who's right.

Good luck with your fight man, let us know how that goes. Are you gaining or dropping down to 205?

Back