My First Am Muay Thai Fight

1 Thumb

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just started coming to this section of sherdog recently. My 'main' focus when training is BJJ, but since I want to eventually get into MMA, I do kickboxing/Muay Thai 2 times a week.

I've only really been training kickboxing/Muay Thai for about 6 months, and it shows :icon_neut . I see a ton of things that I did wrong, and I have been working on correcting them.

All comments welcome.

...I do kickboxing/Muay Thai 2 times a week.

Doesn't matter which of the two fighters in the video you are.... the above statement is the problem.

I started fighting after only 6 months of training too, but I was training in the Muay Thai gym 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week. All the other working out (weights, running, cycling, swimming, etc) was done APART from the Muay Thai workout.

2 days a week simply does NOT cut it.

Doesn't matter which of the two fighters in the video you are.... the above statement is the problem.

I started fighting after only 6 months of training too, but I was training in the Muay Thai gym 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week. All the other working out (weights, running, cycling, swimming, etc) was done APART from the Muay Thai workout.

I agree completely. This MMA gym 3 hours a week approach to kickboxing makes me sad. In my heart.

Which one are you?

Red Gloves in all black.

I agree completely. This MMA gym 3 hours a week approach to kickboxing makes me sad. In my heart.

I should have been a little more specific, the classes are only 2 times a week. I sparred another day at a very reputable gym every week from when I took the fight up until 2 weeks out. I also hit mits with my trainer every tuesday/thursday, and the other days i was hitting the heavy bag, so i was training closer to 12 hours/week. i also did cardio on top of all of this.

I meant that the gym only offers 2 stand up classes per week, classes being the word that may have confused, i did plenty of private training with my trainer.

I understand your point of view though, because i feel same way when a guy gets into MMA and has zero to very little ground experience, but only way to get better is to train and test yourself. :icon_chee

Jesus, how do you have TIME for that? I'm lucky to make 4 days a week, usually 2 or 3, and definitely not for 3 hours. More like 1.5-2 hours.

definately tough being an amateur fighter especially if it isn't your job being a fighter.

so hard to manage making it almost everyday especially for those who have a full time job, manage a family, mulitiple part time jobs, school, or combination of any of those.

to ts

i think you looked good in your first fight. considering the amount of time you've put in. keep it up

Hey guys, I just started coming to this section of sherdog recently. My 'main' focus when training is BJJ, but since I want to eventually get into MMA, I do kickboxing/Muay Thai 2 times a week.

I've only really been training kickboxing/Muay Thai for about 6 months, and it shows :icon_neut . I see a ton of things that I did wrong, and I have been working on correcting them.

All comments welcome.

Props for getting in the ring but imo ....why fight with gear ?

Secondly, ppl need to stop getting in these pushing matches. I think its fear/no knowledge of footwork. Its so draining. Just side step n bang him while he sails past.

Jesus, how do you have TIME for that? I'm lucky to make 4 days a week, usually 2 or 3, and definitely not for 3 hours. More like 1.5-2 hours.

If you're serious about fighting, you'll make the time. If you have a fight coming up, training becomes your #2 priority. Obviously whatever you do for work still comes first, because you have bills that need to be paid. But outside of work, your number 1 priority should be preparing for your fight.

Look, you play baseball. You play basketball. You play football. You don't play boxing, kickboxing, or mma.

definately tough being an amateur fighter especially if it isn't your job being a fighter.

so hard to manage making it almost everyday especially for those who have a full time job, manage a family, mulitiple part time jobs, school, or combination of any of those.

to ts

i think you looked good in your first fight. considering the amount of time you've put in. keep it up

I definitely agree it's tough. My 'career' as a fighter almost led to my getting divorced, which is primarily why I retired from the ring (that and injuries taking their toll). However, when I was training as a fighter, I held down a full time job, trained an average of 3 - 3.5 hours per weekday, and averaged 4 hours each day on weekends. I would venture to say that I was averaging 2 hours a day solely on Muay Thai training (weekdays and weekends)

My thought process for such a strict training regimen is that you never know how serious your opponent takes these fights. You may be matched up against someone who is only doing it to get a little experience and bragging rights for stepping into the ring, or you may be matched up with someone who is in a professional training program who is looking to build his career by demolishing you. You simply can't afford to make assumptions, and you should always prepare as though you're fighting a champion.

If someone feels that is too much of a commitment, then perhaps they should consider sticking to sparring?

Props for getting in the ring but imo ....why fight with gear ?

Secondly, ppl need to stop getting in these pushing matches. I think its fear/no knowledge of footwork. Its so draining. Just side step n bang him while he sails past.

Fight gear because its an amateur fight.

I've seen this from every point of view. I've fought, I've cornered/coached, I've been an official, and I've promoted events. Heck, I've even MC'ed... As a spectator and fighter, I want no gear! Its clumsy, its awkward, it inhibits movement and cuts off your vision. But as a coach/official/promoter, the safety of the fighters is more important. If its an amateur match, wear the gear! We're not paying you for this, and the bragging rights aren't worth a concussion, broken bone, or stitches.

Now that you've identified which of the 2 fighters you are, I want to say "Good Job". I also appreciate you having clarified your training regimen.

Overall, that was a good showing for your 1st amateur match. Your boxing is decent and you have a solid basic clinch. Your opponent seemed taller than you, and you seemed to adjust to the height/reach advantage really well.

For a first match, the only criticisms I'd offer up are:

1. Keep your chin down.
2. Use a wider variety of techniques
3. Don't bend over to grab kicks

If you're serious about fighting, you'll make the time. If you have a fight coming up, training becomes your #2 priority. Obviously whatever you do for work still comes first, because you have bills that need to be paid. But outside of work, your number 1 priority should be preparing for your fight.

Look, you play baseball. You play basketball. You play football. You don't play boxing, kickboxing, or mma.

Well, i'm definitely not serious about fighting in that I don't really have much desire to get into the ring, aside from "someday when I have more experience and free time that would be fun". But... I guess other people have different situations. By the time I get off work, eat quickly, and get to the gym, I've only got... I could maybe put in 3 hours, then it would be straight home to sleep. No time for anything else. Now I could manage that for, say, a month or so before a fight, but I'd be sacrificing everything else in my life to do so. And I think my girl would object strenuously to that :p I admire your dedication.

Well, i'm definitely not serious about fighting in that I don't really have much desire to get into the ring, aside from "someday when I have more experience and free time that would be fun". But... I guess other people have different situations. By the time I get off work, eat quickly, and get to the gym, I've only got... I could maybe put in 3 hours, then it would be straight home to sleep. No time for anything else. Now I could manage that for, say, a month or so before a fight, but I'd be sacrificing everything else in my life to do so. And I think my girl would object strenuously to that :p I admire your dedication.

Yes, your girl will. My wife objected strenuously as well. It really boiled down to a choice between her and fighting. I realized that I was too old to take my fighting career much further, so I chose to save my marriage. Even though I had started to get some big fight offers, I realized that the fights I was turning down weren't such big opportunities to make risking my marriage worth it.

I've just always had an issue with people treating fight training like a recreation. Even if you have no intention to go anywhere as a fighter and only wish to "test" yourself, you're going to be stepping into the ring with someone who may have serious aspirations to be a pro fighter, and may be getting professional quality training. I've seen some people take horrific beatings in the ring and I'm all for doing everything you are capable of doing to make sure that the next person who receives that horrific beating isn't you....

Even if you have no intention to go anywhere as a fighter and only wish to "test" yourself, you're going to be stepping into the ring with someone who may have serious aspirations to be a pro fighter, and may be getting professional quality training. I've seen some people take horrific beatings in the ring and I'm all for doing everything you are capable of doing to make sure that the next person who receives that horrific beating isn't you....

This is a major reason I have no desire to get in the ring any time soon.

Well, good job but there is a ton to work on. Don't mean to be a dick but for us that train long hours in the gym just for Muay Thai it will take you some time to get to the next level. I am going to suggest one thing to help you out and by working on this it will help out a lot of your other problems.

Work on your distance! Muay Thai is all about knowing where you are in comparison to your opponents. Are you at the right distance to kick, knee, or punch? You seemed to get the punching and knee distance confused (in other words you are crowding your punches). Work on keeping your opponent at the distance to that you want and throw the attack at the right distance. By understanding the distance you can land attacks more accurately. I know this sound difficult but if practiced in sparring, it will help a bunch.

Hope this helps!

Back