My diet- suggestions?

onetwo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My strength training is going along quite nicely, although i am still looking to improve. I am a former fat slob, used to tip the scales at 220, then dropped all the way down to 158, then started weight training. I've started a new routine this week and was looking to somewhat improve my diet as well. I would like to keep adding lean muscle as well as drop a small amount of b/f. Let me know what you guys think as well as what i could change or add.

Height: 6'2"
Weigh: 182lbs

Supplements
GNC Fish oil
GNC maximum greens ultra mega greens
ON whey gold standard
ON recovery(switching back to trueprotein 2:1 when im done with this)
ON casein

Weight training- Mon, Weds, Fri

6am
Rasin Bagel, Coffee, Whey shake- 1 scoop, 2 fish oils, 2 UMG
9am
4 H/B eggs, Banana, apple
12pm
(Can of tuna fish, chicken breast, or steak), yoplait yogurt, Large dole mixed salad, Orange, Half green pepper
2pm
Apple
330pm
2 scoops whey shake
4-530pm
gym
530pm
2scoops recovery shake
6pm
(chicken Beef or pork dish) potato, some green vegetable(green beens/brocoli/ or half of green pepper)
10pm
1scoop casein
1cup fat free cottage cheese

I know you are taking your greens, but I would still eat more veggies.

I have a few questions:

- Have you read the FAQ?
- What are your goals?
- Where did you get the basis for your diet?

Here's some advice that's not contingent upon knowledge of goals:

- You need more vegetables. Consider investing in a spinach farm. Green peppers, red peppers, orange peppers, and yellow peppers are your friends. Steamed broccoli is where it's at. I'm sure there are others that other people can attest to.
- Get some more fat in your diet. Fats get a bad rap these days. Peanut butter or almond butter are awesome. Extra virgin olive oil is great too.

I have a few questions:

- Have you read the FAQ?
- What are your goals?
- Where did you get the basis for your diet?

Here's some advice that's not contingent upon knowledge of goals:

- You need more vegetables. Consider investing in a spinach farm. Green peppers, red peppers, orange peppers, and yellow peppers are your friends. Steamed broccoli is where it's at. I'm sure there are others that other people can attest to.
- Get some more fat in your diet. Fats get a bad rap these days. Peanut butter or almond butter are awesome. Extra virgin olive oil is great too.

Yes ive read the faq, it gave me a good basis on how to clean up my diet. I did not get my diet from anything special however, now i simply try to eat clean high protein unlike before when i was a slob.

I've been trying to add vegetables, time is just an issue. (I work7-3 mon threw fri) Whats the best uncooked?

As far as my goals go. Thanks for the link i'm starting on bill starrs 5x5 program. I want to get stronger and bigger, but keep a lean form. <10% b/f. I peak at 220 in my bench right now, 275 in squat, 275DL. Havent maxed yet. But i would like to gain a good amount in these lifts

^^ As long as you are eating clean and following the 5 x5 you will def get stronger, bigger, and lose fat. You should also head over the the conditioning forum's FAQ. Do some burpees.

meh i hate these weideresque diets that have you downing tons of supplemental protein and eating every couple of hours.

it looks like you're getting enough real food protein since you're getting ~100 grams a day. that should be plenty @ your bodyweight. now you want to try to increase your (quality) carb intake.

personally, i think you're doing pretty well on your veggie intake. i'm nt sure exactly what thesemeals look like, but if i were you i'd rather eat 3 larger meals a day than choke down a ton of shakes and halfheartedly eat your meals.

personally, i think you're doing pretty well on your veggie intake. i'm nt sure exactly what thesemeals look like, but if i were you i'd rather eat 3 larger meals a day than choke down a ton of shakes and halfheartedly eat your meals.

Seconded.

When I started my clean diet, it looked like this but I have cut it down to 3 larger meals and I feel I have more energy and am not hungry as often.

The switch up did not hurt me performance wise either. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I find that eating 5 scheduled and pre-determined meals a day is way too much of a chore when you are super busy.

I'd say it looks pretty solid. The only thing that real stands out is the banana. From a weight maintenance perspective, they are basically a ton of sugar and potassium. If you don't mind the extra calories, I really see no problem. If weight loss is your goal you should reconsider.

I also recommend looking at a different fish oil, most pharmacies have fish oil for much cheaper than GNC. You should consider increasing the dosage as well. For people that aren't on a massive dosing of fish oil bandwagon (like myself), I still recommend taking about 2-3 times what it says on the bottle, spread throughout the day. (say 2 caps with your 3 biggest meals, or whatever)

Back