My daughter tests for her next BJJ belt today!

Hugh Jorgan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And boy am I excited for her!

Today she will be going for her 'orange' belt and its her fourth belt she will earn in her short journey in to the world of BJJ. She is 9 and she has been training for a little over 2 years now (and still loves it)
So far her progression has been
White
9th Kyu - white with a yellow stripe(its a part of their karate program but still an intermediate belt in her progression)
Yellow
and now - orange

Im my mind, these are all just geedunk belts as she has to be 16 before she earns her first REAL belt (blue) I take much satisfaction in knowing that by the time she earns her blue belt she will be pretty SOLID and will have EARNED it.
Although these intermediate belts help HER with her sense of progression. Thats okay by me :)

Im wishing her luck on this test! (Shes gonna need it!)

Something tells me, if she keeps up her training, she won't be a blue belt very long. That's awesome to hear. I am hoping my daughter takes an interest in BJJ but we still have a little ways to go. She's 1.

Congrats and be proud! Wish her good luck for me.

Do we have another Hillary in the making?

Kid promotions are the best, we just had ours for the kids on monday, gave out a lot of belts, and they were all ecstatic.

Do we have another Hillary in the making?

Maybe, but this is my next Hillary ;) lol
33492_1433765057418_1631688995_1057765_2107653_n.jpg

There is no more important a skill to learn than getting off your back for a woman. Especially with a bigger, stronger opponent.

Thats excellent! She's going to be a very solid player once she hits her teen years!

Awesome! Good luck to her.

My son's been in BJJ for 3 years now, he got his orange belt a few months ago. He was really happy. His instructor told him now he'll have to start working harder and showing a little more aggression and dominance to get any higher up in the ranks. No longer can he just memorize techniques and perform them well during the tests. He has to show his true grit on the mat to progress.

There is no more important a skill to learn than getting off your back for a woman. Especially with a bigger, stronger opponent.

Thank you for playing :)

Its always been my philosiphy that chances are if she ever WERE assaulted, it wouldnt be on the playground. It would be in the back seat of some jackass meatheads car. Nothing would satisfy me more to hear that a potential rapist got his arm broken for him. :icon_chee

so jealous of all these little kids starting BJJ at 8-9 years old

starting BJJ at 25 is bullshit :mad:

so jealous of all these little kids starting BJJ at 8-9 years old

starting BJJ at 25 is bullshit :mad:

I know what you mean...starting Gi at 24 is kinda depressing, wish I could have started sooner.

It's cool hearing about these little kids training. The "Young Warriors" at our gym happen to be pretty savage, they did some exhibition matches at the our clubs last academy, and they really know what they're doing x_x.

That's great for her! What's your school affiliation? We're Gracie Barra, so my son can't get his orange until he's 10. He's a 9-stripe yellow right now. He's 9, started training at 5.

He just keeps his eye on 2 goals. Blue at 16, and he's determined to get his Black at 19!!!

He's a 9-stripe yellow right now. He's 9, started training at 5.

Is there any black visible on his stripe bar? Even the 4 stripers don't have a lot of real estate available...

My daughter just started wrestling and BJJ and she is 6. So far she loves it.

Good for your girl man. Get them started early because that stuff will stay with them even if they quit when they are 16 and decide they don't want to get sweaty or some other girlish thing. But if she decides to stay with it, she will have a great background when she gets to the "real" belts.

Too true.

I've always been of the opinion that my son can learn BJJ if he wants. I'll expose him to it and I've even got the mat space at home to help train him.

But my daughter has no choice. She will be learning something, at least to blue belt level, or she can't date or have a car.

That's great for her! What's your school affiliation? We're Gracie Barra, so my son can't get his orange until he's 10. He's a 9-stripe yellow right now. He's 9, started training at 5.

He just keeps his eye on 2 goals. Blue at 16, and he's determined to get his Black at 19!!!

at this rate, he should go straight to purple at 16 instead of blue.

I wish I had started at age 7 :(

Congrats! I wish your daughter a long and successful journey in BJJ :D

Back