My Daughter started "MMA" classes last night.

Tony Manifold

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So I brought my six year old daughter to my gym last night for here first "mma" class. I add the quotes because at this level it was mainly MT and wrestling. She will be doing BJJ there as well. During the wrestling part, she was matched up with a boy about her age and she dominated him. Mounted him, took his back, when he got on top she swept him twice. The kids dad was laughing saying, "Can you tell her to give my kid a chance?" The boy was not the most aggressive kid in the world but he was the perfect partner because "winning" got her hooked. I was a little concerned she would be dominated and want to quit right away.

We have been wrestling since she could walk but I wasn't sure if it would translate at all to wrestling with someone besides Dad and her 4 year old brother. I was super impressed with her grappling instincts.

Now that I am done bragging about my kid, time to brag about my gym. For a town the size of Victoria we are super lucky with the talent we have here. Sarah Kaufman teaches the kids class and besides being one of the top female fighters in the world she is great with kids. Coming from a dance background, I am sure she had to spend her time teaching the kids classes. You can not get a much better teacher for a girl who's ambition is to become the first singer, dancer, actor, fighter and medical doctor sensation. :icon_chee

That's great man!!!!! Always fun to watch those things. I took my little guy 6yrs old to watch a local tourny and we watched the kids going at it and there were two little girls who were literally sending the boys off the mat crying one after another. Its was awesome!!!

How is the kids program up there?

That's very nice. Looking now at it, maybe wrestling with her does translate well enough! Here's hoping she'll keep enjoying the sport as she grows.

That's great man!!!!! Always fun to watch those things. I took my little guy 6yrs old to watch a local tourny and we watched the kids going at it and there were two little girls who were literally sending the boys off the mat crying one after another. Its was awesome!!!

How is the kids program up there?

I doubt there is much competition at that age but the classes seem great and as I said she is learning from one of the best.

I doubt there is much competition at that age but the classes seem great and as I said she is learning from one of the best.

We are planning a great kids only "fun" tourny in Seattle Wa later this year. At the end of summer. Could be something you guys might be interested in. Run very well with emphasis on the grappling and not who wins or loses. Could be a quick ferry ride down..........

congrats man! its always great to hear kids loving mma classes and such
see if she'll like BJJ

That is awesome!!! Real happy to hear that since I have a daughter who is almost 4.

Is 6 the age they start at there?

That is awesome!!! Real happy to hear that since I have a daughter who is almost 4.

Is 6 the age they start at there?

Well she turns 7 in a few months and this is the stage where I felt she was mature enough to begin training. Too young and you might as well just send her to tim's TKD gym. It is essentially babysiting. When we box at home she remembers to keep her hands up and listens, so i figured she was old enough to take some training.

During the wrestling part, she was matched up with a boy about her age and she dominated him. Mounted him, took his back, when he got on top she swept him twice.

We've got a little 6 year old girl in our kids BJJ class who's like that. She's only been training for about half a year, but she's got a motor that doesn't stop. Of the 19 kids in the class, 6 of them are between the ages of 5 - 6 and she is hands down the most aggressive and technical of the bunch.

The funniest part is that she cute as a bug. You'd never think she was the toughest kid in the bunch. Not one kid in her age group, boys or girls, can go more than a minute with her without getting choked or armbarred. Every roll: take down, pass, mount, then it's either armbar or take the back and collar choke.

Also, the best part about kids that age, is that after each tap, BOTH kids get up with huge smiles on their faces and go at it again. No ego. It's awesome.

Also, the best part about kids that age, is that after each tap, BOTH kids get up with huge smiles on their faces and go at it again. No ego. It's awesome.

This is soooo true and a very fun thing to watch. Just a pure joy for the flow!!! Its one of reasons that made me decide to sign my kid up for an upcoming tourny. He just loves the idea of meeting a bunch of different kids that love to grapple.

This is soooo true and a very fun thing to watch. Just a pure joy for the flow!!! Its one of reasons that made me decide to sign my kid up for an upcoming tourny. He just loves the idea of meeting a bunch of different kids that love to grapple.

Thats really awesome to hear!

Back