My bank has eliminated tellers

Yea this happened at Chase to me one time. They tried to direct me to the machines but I saw the tellers in the back and I was like, "I'm good".

My bank doesn’t even have physical locations. I can’t even remember the last time I went to a bank; probably way back as a kid running errands with my grandma or something like that.

There's no way they could have 0 tellers. Because a machine can go down or some shit. Pretty sure they all have at least 1 on a shift.

My bank doesn’t even have physical locations. I can’t even remember the last time I went to a bank; probably way back as a kid running errands with my grandma or something like that.
That sounds awful, God forbid you ever have any issues and actually need to go talk to someone.

Happy to read that your bank got rid of snitches.

That sounds awful, God forbid you ever have any issues and actually need to go talk to someone.
Not really, most of the stuff can be done online, and they have deals with other banks so I get reimbursed on ATM fees. They have a call center for all other problems and it actually doesn't suck.

LOL Out here there are a lot of people working as bank tellers who have university bachelor degrees, from top universities. I guess that's what you get when you major in sociology or gender studies.

All of these menial jobs are going the way of the dodo bird, if you're young you better have a plan, or a rich mommy and daddy. Because before you know it, your crappy retail/menial job will be going extinct.

i'm curious to see if my bank does that soon since they were recently acquired by another bank.
but first, i hope they make it through the account transition without fucking up.

I go with Capital One, a solid bank. Not as good as Washington Mutual (RIP), but way better than Chase or Wells Fargo. I just wish they had more locations.

A year or so ago, I stopped by to deposit some cash and there's this hipster guy that meets me and explained they don't have tellers anymore and I'd have to use the ATM machine to do all transactions. Ok. But I went back and they had the tellers back.

I figured they figured out people like dealing with an actual person, or at least the option. So last week I stopped by a different branch and there was a different hipster to tell me they didn't have tellers.

Now my issue with this is that they only have 1 fucking machine, so you have to wait for others, and some of these people are slow. And I like talking to people. It gives me the satisfaction of popping sarcastic jokes.

Anyway, it made me sad that our world is heading to a fully automated society. I do like ordering kiosks at fast food joints because it lessens mistakes, but for banking, I don't like it. How does everyone else feel about this?
I’m as sarcastic as they come, but as a person I would hate you. Be as sarcastic as you want at a bar, Internet forum or party, but if I’m in line behind someone desperate for human interaction while I’m just trying to get out some cash and “funny guy” is holding up the line... NO!

LOL Out here there are a lot of people working as bank tellers who have university bachelor degrees, from top universities. I guess that's what you get when you major in sociology or gender studies.

All of these menial jobs are going the way of the dodo bird, if you're young you better have a plan, or a rich mommy and daddy. Because before you know it, your crappy retail/menial job will be going extinct.

As I posted earlier, it's not going to happen anytime soon. This article from USA Today talks about it. There is no way a lot of these business customers do not want face to face interaction when they deal with cash. A company like ours who runs millions through our escrow account is strongly desired by banks due to the float, and there is no way we are messing with a bank that doesn't have tellers. Honestly, when I'm at the bank, it seems the demand is greater than the supply with the # of customers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...s-wont-become-extinct-any-time-soon/99320674/

I hate people that line up for a teller to deposit a check. There's one fucking teller and I just need to make change and there are 3 dimwits in front of me that don't know they can use one of the 6 ATMs.

I hate people that line up for a teller to deposit a check. There's one fucking teller and I just need to make change and there are 3 dimwits in front of me that don't know they can use one of the 6 ATMs.
I don't trust the machines with my cheques.

As I posted earlier, it's not going to happen anytime soon. This article from USA Today talks about it. There is no way a lot of these business customers do not want face to face interaction when they deal with cash. A company like ours who runs millions through our escrow account is strongly desired by banks due to the float, and there is no way we are messing with a bank that doesn't have tellers. Honestly, when I'm at the bank, it seems the demand is greater than the supply with the # of customers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...s-wont-become-extinct-any-time-soon/99320674/
Fair point, but it is starting to happen. It's not going to be immediate.

The banks where there is one hipster worker as ts described are happening in my city now too. The trend is starting.

For people who actually have money they'll continue to want to see people for the near future, as opposed to depisting all their cash or large cheques into atm's.

But on the ground level, that's a somewhat different story, online banking has already replaced a lot of jobs.

Fair point, but it is starting to happen. It's not going to be immediate.

The banks where there is one hipster worker as ts described are happening in my city now too. The trend is starting.

For people who actually have money they'll continue to want to see people for the near future, as opposed to depisting all their cash or large cheques into atm's.

But on the ground level, that's a somewhat different story, online banking has already replaced a lot of jobs.

I won't mind as long as there is always a person available. Most banks will keep a physical presence, so I imagine there will be someone inside.

I don't think all of this is good at all though. A lot of people are going to the internet for their mortgage needs, and it's a disaster. They always end up pissed at closing, but what the hell do you expect? On a large investment like that, I want to be able to reach out and choke the person that I'm doing business with.

That sounds like a top star customer service experience.

That's why they have numbers to call so you can complain about your experience too so Indian dude after being on hold for 20 minutes. <{MingNope}>

I design banks and credit unions for a living, and I can tell you that credit unions especially are moving towards the "retail branch" design. Meaning, no more teller line with tellers. You carry out your transactions at a pod that's connected to a remote teller at a call station or somewhere else in the building or a smart ATM. There is a transition period for the users to get used to it, but once they get the hang of it it's a great system to use. cuts down on payroll (less tellers to carry out transactions) and the few tellers who are there feel more secure being behind a wall rather than out in the open (even if it's behind bullet resistant glass).
and to add to this, there is personnel there to help our and talk to if you need a loan. just your usual deposits and withdrawals can be carried out remotely.

Hey, anything to save the poor bank money, even if it's a big fuck you.
It's important to put barriers between the customer and useful support and service.

Back