my 1st torunament...

OrcishFighter

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys id like to share about my 1st tournament wich happened earlier today. I was in the beginner division(0-12 months) and I had about 6 month of exp myself. I wasnt too nervous all day but when they annouced i was going next I suddendly got pretty nervous/excited.

My gameplan was to fake engaging and shoot and just go to guard if it didnt work. I didnt want to lose to much time trying for the takedown because at my gym we spend like 1% on that so I wanted to be on the ground but not just pull guard.

Anyway I did exactly that faked then shot in but finally ended up with the guy in my full guard wich was my goal anyway. The guy was stronger then me but he wasnt trying to pass much he seemed to only wait for a mistake but I didnt care, I went for a triangle wich was pretty close but he after struggling he started getting up so I let it go. Went for some kimura then back to triangle into an omoplata but he started to escape so I tried to sweep him from there but failed again not too sure why but he ended up in my guard again. tried for some more kimura and kimura sweep but he had his hands clasped togther behind my back and he had a good base so i wasnt able to sweep.

We went in overtime i started the same faked then shot in and this time he ended up in my 1/2 guard. I immediately went for the lockdown and started to go for his other foot to try and oldschool maybe but honestly I just learned this move and since he gave me space I decide to just go back to full guard. From there I again tried alot of kimura/kimura sweep but I was tired for some reason(in class in can go much longer). So the match end 0-0.

I tough we were going in another overtime but they decided to give him the win because he got half-guard....I was kinda pissed off because I tried to end the match much more then him imo but hey nothing I can do I should have been able to at least sweep him and get some points.

So I only had 1 match but it was a good experience anyway I think and I liked to watch the adavanced guys go at it.

The goods:
-I attacked pretty much the whole time and came pretty close a couple of time
-I didnt get submit or even get a point scored against me
-I did really good with my 1/2 guard wich used to be a big weak spot

the bads:
-I got extremely tired way too quick
-lacked some explosiveness to finish my techniques
-losing 0-0 sucks

Another good point is that Im now really motivated to train harder and get better now and do well next time.

Sounds like you got ripped off a bit there bro, usualy in comps they award advantage points for attempted subs but not always. You probly would have won if they did.

Thats total BS. you should have won that fight. You got ripped off

ripped. but dwelling on this wont get you anywhere.

keep up the good work. you know what you need to work on.

Thems the breaks.

Sounds like you're pretty clued up anyway.

Just keep at it and fix your weaknesses!

I didn't know they did overtime in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competitions. At least, none that I've been to.

But good job. Sounds like you were shafted, but then again he did hold dominant position the entire match, so I can see the argument both ways.

Good job though.

Sounds like you had a good showing minus the win, but this happens in matches like that. Good luck next time. Good cardio in OT too.

sounds like you did allright the good thing is you relised your weakness and now you can work them and come back stronger

Nice writeup. In my view, learning your strong and weak points is one of the major benefits of competition. At 6 months you were probably less experienced than most of the guys there. As you (and me too) compete near the 12 month mark winning the beginner division should be a realistic goal.

hehe kewl dude I got 3rd in the absolutes beating nino the brown belt 4-0 and in the semi's losing 0-0 decision to sean locke whose the world purple belt absolute champion from cupo de mundo (he's now a brown and 40 pounds bigger than me)....i also won all 4 of my fight in my division to win it

where do you train?

you probably shoulda won that one dude..but thats not improtant, expirence is the key

sIcKnEsS said:
hehe kewl dude I got 3rd in the absolutes beating nino the brown belt 4-0 and in the semi's losing 0-0 decision to sean locke whose the world purple belt absolute champion from cupo de mundo (he's now a brown and 40 pounds bigger than me)....i also won all 4 of my fight in my division to win it

where do you train?

haha Yeah I saw your match against Nino and Sean. I train at Gamma so you should remember me, Im the tall guy with a tiger rashguard. I sparred once with you, anyway I know who you are but I had no idea you were this good...blue belt beating brown and going 0-0 with another brown that outweight you by alot geez :p. Btw who is the guy that won his divison and also won absolute...he was kinda good too :p

ya i know who u r now :)

ya sean is awesom he won the world championships in brazil in the purple belt absolutes...and he's alot bigger than me...

scott edwrads is the guy who won absolutes...he migth go to the next olympic games

Holy shit sickness you locked down everyone in your division. I left a little early, but those matches with sean and nino sounds cool....i wish i should have stayed longer, my ride was leaving.

hey native...I saw your fight man..u dominated him man..the points might have said other wise by 2 or sumtn but u were wrecking him at the end...gj dude

sIcKnEsS said:
hey native...I saw your fight man..u dominated him man..the points might have said other wise by 2 or sumtn but u were wrecking him at the end...gj dude

yeah he beat by 3-2, i gotta work on my half guard pass. Damn guy had tree trunk legs..lol, I kinda said fuck it at the last 30 sec. and tried the rolling kimura from half guard. maybe next time.

When are you getting your purple belt?

My cousin and me had a little bet going on in your division finals, he thought that quick guy was too fast and better then you, i laughed at him and said watch this, you end up beating him in less then 45 sec. or something....he was all amazed afterwards..lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back