MW Division. Stacked or not?

I know what you are saying, but at the same time this could also mean that if the lower guys are able to win against the top that they are close in talent to the top guys versus other divisions. Thus, talentwise that division could be more stacked than a top heavy division.

Yes but is that what we really believe the multiyear dynamic at MW has been?

Are guys like Cote, Leites, Maia, Munoz, Palharas, Boetsch, etc, really that good top MW`s and the only reason they eventually disappear frmo MW contention is because the next 20 MW`s are just that good. So near top 10?

I don't think anyone believes that.

i think far more mediocre MW's make the top 10 based on one good career win and then never return then any other division and it is not because the Phillipou's are just that great as well.

i think a win over bisping would have solidified weidman as a legit contender...im of the opinion that bisping beat sonnen (albeit closely) but even in loss, that fight boosted bispings stock up tremendously...nobody gave him a chance and he proved everybody wrong...bisping v. weidman would be a true #1 contender fight and the fight that shoud have beem made from the get go...

Bisping really only grew in stature in his Sonnen loss. Comments in early 2011 suggesting anderson wanted Bisping were called trollish because Bisping was seen as unworthy of top MW status. But it was clear Anderson has been angling for that fight for a long time.

had Bisping lost to Sonnen and Weidman back to back and instead Munoz went on to fight and beat someone like Stann, I think we would be hearing that Bisping has never proven himself that good and Weidman needs to beat a top proven MW like Munoz.

Everyone is revising the other guys resumes to suggest that basically any guys that Weidman did not fight were the legit ones he should have fought and everyone Weidman beats was the guy who was weak and he should not have fought.

When Weidman took the Maia and Munoz fights they were looked at as legit top MW's. Only in their losses to him did they get severely downgraded.

When people start to break down Anderson's comp with the same critical eye, his defenders quickly say 'he fought who was put in front of him' and the 'top 10' status of those opponents is touted as proof they were the best regardless of how good they actually were.

Weidman is being held to a uniquely high standard that not even Anderson has been held to at MW. We see guys upthread saying he needs to win two more top 5 or 10 fights before deserving a shot and that Vitor or Bisping should go next despite them having less top wins then Weidman has now.

It is NOT stacked. I said this in another thread but I do not know how Belcher, Munoz, STANN, or Boetsch were seriously ever considered to have title potential.

I havent seen enough of Rockhold to really know how he does against high level guys yet

Weakest division since forever. Why do you think Anderson chooses to fight there instead of his natural weight class?

The division is not as strong as it historically is. But that's what happens when top 10 fighters constantly leave the division.

If Anderson wasnt champ the division would be exciting but im not sure how stacked it is.

When compared to the rest of the UFC's weight divisions the answer is an emphatic NO.

If anderson does not fight Jones next let him fight Bisping, he deserves the chance in my opinion, to the UFC all divisons and fight cards are always stacked it's become the world of choice.

Why WWs are cutting weight to avoid an "easier" competition at MW?

Are they masochists?

Weak as always. It's elite fighters are guys who couldn't hang at 205.

Why WWs are cutting weight to avoid an "easier" competition at MW?

Are they masochists?

are you of the belief that every person on this planet is the same size?

Even the biggest current WW's would be small compared to the top MW's how are mostly huge. Pretty much every division now consists of guys who cut from a natural weight the class above. So the reason top WW's cut is to fight guys their own size.

Most of the top MW's are natural, but losing, natural, LHW's.

Yes but is that what we really believe the multiyear dynamic at MW has been?

Are guys like Cote, Leites, Maia, Munoz, Palharas, Boetsch, etc, really that good top MW`s and the only reason they eventually disappear frmo MW contention is because the next 20 MW`s are just that good. So near top 10?

I don't think anyone believes that.

i think far more mediocre MW's make the top 10 based on one good career win and then never return then any other division and it is not because the Phillipou's are just that great as well.

The reason this happens is because top mws consistently leave the division crwating holes that guys like Mark Munoz step in to momentarily fill.

Historically the division is quite strong. The 10 best mws from the last 4-5 yrs would matchup just fine with other divisions. Its currently lacking a bit tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back