Must see cards from different UFC eras

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
If you wanted to introduce someone to the UFC and its history, which PPVs do you think they need to see?

The rules:

3 cards per era (5 year period)

E.g. 3 cards each for

The early days: 1993/4 - 1998 - UFC 1 until UFC Ultimate Brazil
The dark days: 1999-2003 - UFC 18 until UFC 45
Resurrection: 2004-2008 - UFC 46 until UFC 92
Modern UFC: 2009-2013/4 - UFC 93 until UFC 173

Ok, I know this is somewhat random, but I wanted to introduce some kind of logic to make sure we have cards from every period.

I will present my own choices below, but I'm interested in your views because I only started following the UFC on a regular basis around 2010 or so, so my knowledge especially about earlier Pay-per-views is limited.

Here go my picks:

The early days:

UFC 1 - kinda obvious
Ultimate Ultimate 2 - Final appearances of Ken Shamrock before he went WWF/E; final appearance of Don Frye, who won the tourney, likely after winning a fixed bout
UFC 12 - First appearance of Vitor Belfort, and a display of Mark Coleman looking like a monster

The dark days:

UFC 30 - First UFC under the Fertittas, Tito Ortiz dominating, but overall a card when the UFC was likely closer than ever to folding
UFC 31 - Couture vs Rizzo, BJ's debut in the UFC, and Carlos Newton upsets the GSP of those days in Pat Miletich
UFC 40 - Ortiz vs Shamrock 1 - due to its coverage in mainstream media and

Resurrection:

UFC 47 - Chuck annihilating Tito, Nick Diaz stealing Robbie Lawler's soul, Lytle and Arlovski finishing fights
UFC 68 - Sylvia vs Couture - to understand what Randy Couture has achieved in this sport, I think this is a must see
UFC 79 - GSP vs Hughes in the Main Event, also featuring Chuck, Wand (both still not quite out of their prime), and Machida when he was still invincible

Modern UFC:

UFC 94 - St. Pierre vs Penn II - Again, GSP and Machida; also shows the first glimpse of Jon Jones' greatness
UFC 100 - A 'history' of the UFC would be incomplete without Lesnar, and this card actually lived up to expectations
UFC 166 - Velasquez vs Dos Santos III - just a great card

Your take?

Last edited:
The Belfast Ireland one....UFC 72
Frankilin
Forrest
Marcus Davis

good solid card. Reminds me of the UFC glory days. Forrest walking out in Ireland was awesome.

Last edited:
i'll put 47 in the dark ages - underrated card, very entertaining

and add in UFC 84 in the resurrection.

UFC 100 for modern era for obvious reasons.

The Belfast Ireland one....UFC 72
Frankilin
Forrest
Marcus Davis

good solid card. Reminds me of the UFC glory days. Forrest walking out in Ireland was awesome.

Haha is this a joke? I vividly remember the complaints about this crappy card back in the day. Twas a summer day, and I was drunkenly on Sherdog. Not a lot has changed in 7 years.

UFC 52 was my favorite, by far. It was a fun card. First it was Riggs getting subbed by Ivan Salaverry (no one expected that). Then Hughes coming back from a serious nut-shot to slam and then choke Trigg by means of sheer force of will. The anticipation for the main event, the re-match between Chuck and Randy, was electric. The place was vibrating leading up to that match.

Good times...

Gotta get those old ones on some grainy vhs tapes though. Really feel like you're watching it in the mid 90's

Back